03 6.0 crank no start with data - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 crank no start with data

Hey guys,

So I was having a stalling no start hot condition and figured it was a clogged IPR screen. Pulled the IPR today and found no screen on the end, replaced the O-rings, seals, and screen with OEM. and also backlashed the valve with carb cleaner. Follow DTR's procedure and removed the injector harness and such to make as much room as I could. Got it put back together and now I have a crank no start. It started and ran last night.

ICP 1500
IPR 51.1%
SYC 1
FMP 47.5 (while cranking)
FLP 9.5 (Im thinking this is my issue) But i have no idea what would cause this.
Bat volt 11.5

Charged batteries in readings are:

ICP tops out at 1700
IPR 70%
RPM 450
FLP 12v drops to 11 when cranking
FMP 47.5

it cranks at speed and chugs like it trying to fire but just won't light off.

I have double checked all my connections are good and seated... Any ideas?

03' F350, 6.0, 4x4, EXT Cab, Long Bed

Last edited by WR310rdr; 06-23-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:40 PM

Is 11.5 volts your cranking voltage?
Can you post the cranking ICP voltage?

I would sure like to see an actual cranking rpm number. I hate going off of the "sound" when a number is so easy ton get.

Sounds like your FICM may need to be rebuilt.

Edit - I see you later added the rpm number. That is good to include ....

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 06-28-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

It was cranking around 300Rpm on the scan gauge.
ICP voltage KOEO was .23v

no 11.5v was KOEO as well

I ended up cranking it enough that the batteries were causing an audible slow crank so I just dropped them off to have them charged. Ill pick them up in an hour or so and then be able to run more tests.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR310rdr View Post
no 11.5v was KOEO as well

11.5 KOEO is a dead battery but you say its cranking normally. So you've got a boogy connection somewhere which could very well have nothing to do with your no-start but you should at least clean up all the battery connections.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
11.5 KOEO is a dead battery but you say its cranking normally. So you've got a boogy connection somewhere which could very well have nothing to do with your no-start but you should at least clean up all the battery connections.
It was, I took he batteries to have them charged and it brought the FLP up tp 12v static and 11v cranking

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 AM

12V static FLV is low also. It should be at battery voltage and static voltage should be at least 12.6v. Did you get them load tested? That said, 11V cranking isn't bad ..... if it stays there during the troubleshooting.

Do you have access to a good code reader? The scangauge is a VERY poor code reader.
How about verifying fuel flow to the upper filter w/ just the key on and filter housing cap off?

Is your SYC reading for FICM sync or cam/crank sync.? It would be good to see both.

I still would like to see ICP sensor voltage when cranking.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 06-24-2019 at 07:58 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I have a good code reader but it isn't throwing a code.

SYC is FICM SYC. I don't know the PID for cam crank SYC. it was my understanding that if the cam and crank are good I will have SYC for FICM.

The batteries are brand new and were load tested and passed.

I have not checked the fuel flow but I will go do that now.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM

If you don't mind me asking .... what are you using for a code reader?

You won't get FICM sync without having cam/crank sync, but you can have cam/crank sync and not have FICM sync. A lot of people get the programming backwards for the sync PIDs on the scangauge.

Mark

Last edited by bismic; 06-24-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Its an Innova Scan, it will run the ford enhanced KOEO and KOER tests.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:43 PM

Usually the scangauge PID for cam/crank sync is labelled "SYC" and the FICM sync is labeled "FSN".

The FICM Sync "RXD" parameter is 3601

Mark
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Checked fuel flow the upper bowl filled fast.

I went and bought a cheap inspection camera today and this weekend ill pull the IPR out again and check the bore again for the missing screen.

I checked when I replaced the valve with a pick and didn't feel anything but if its there im thinking it might be locking HPO flow.

Aside from that im kinda stuck, This was the only area I was messing around in and it ran before.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

The no start cold has been solved, the previous IPR screen was still in the bore.

I still have a no start hot issue but it now runs again and I'm thinking its stand pipes and dummy plugs

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:01 PM

Why was your ICP as high as 1700 during the no start? That is WAY more pressure than you need to start. IMO it is most likely a bad sensor .... and your ICP values (1500 and 1700) were default values. That is why I asked for the cranking ICP voltage. I have the correlations between sensor voltage and pressure. 0.23v is good for KOEO, but the high pressures when cranking don't make sense.

Mark

Last edited by bismic; 06-27-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Why was your ICP as high as 1700 during the no start? That is WAY more pressure than you need to start. IMO it is most likely a bad sensor .... and your ICP values (1500 and 1700) were default values. That is why I asked for the cranking ICP voltage. I have the correlations between sensor voltage and pressure. 0.23v is good for KOEO, but the high pressures when cranking don't make sense.
So the old IPR screen was still in the hole so I had great pressure but severely restricted flow (probably causing the extremely high pressure) through the IPR passage and Im assuming the IPR, while snugged against the surface of the HPOP cover, was blocked as well based on the paths I saw on the inspection camera.

Once I pulled the old screen out and replaced everything it fired right up and ran well until I shut it off after it got to operating temp. After I had a crank no start hot.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:39 AM

I don't know if I buy that. Anything limiting flow to the injectors will also cause reduced pressure AT the injectors.

Not only that, but the IPR duty cycle (which is ONLY a commanded value and not and actual valve position) is high meaning the computer wants more pressure.

Mark

Last edited by bismic; 06-29-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in