'04 F350 6.0L Diesel now smokes after Fuel and Air Filter change. Never smoked before. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 F350 6.0L Diesel now smokes after Fuel and Air Filter change. Never smoked before.

Hi all,

I have a 2004 F350 Super Duty with the 6.0.

The previous owner put in a K&N Air filter because they can be supposedly washed and never buy one again. Well I proved that to be wrong.

The truck choked out finally. I replaced the Air Filter and both Fuel Filters and drained the water/fuel separator line.

Truck runs great but now it smokes all of the time even at idle and NEVER did before.

I am assuming that the computer has the Fuel/Air all screwed up from lack of or no air flow.

I disconnected the batteries hoping to reset the computer to the Factory Air/Fuel mix.

Any suggestions to fix this? The truck NEVER smoked one bit before this and it runs great with the new air and fuel filters.

Thanks all for your help and ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:02 AM

Any chance you knocked the hose to the MAP Sensor off? I know it's on the other side of the engine compartment but this happened to me once and it smoked a ton as well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
Any chance you knocked the hose to the MAP Sensor off? I know it's on the other side of the engine compartment but this happened to me once and it smoked a ton as well.
#1 Fuel Injector problem. Flooded Cylinder and forced.Fuel into the oil. Replaced Injector and a fresh oil change fixed the problem.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Y Elena View Post
Quote:
#1 Fuel Injector problem. Flooded Cylinder and forced.Fuel into the oil. Replaced Injector and a fresh oil change fixed the problem.
Did you do the work yourself? I'm only asking because I'm wondering if the injector sleeve/cup was also replaced?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Did you do the work yourself? I'm only asking because I'm wondering if the injector sleeve/cup was also replaced?
On a 6.0?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Quote:
On a 6.0?

https://youtu.be/lYgkdXWzVCg
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Ah, duh.
I misunderstood the other day when I saw some article. It was for the repair kit that uses a full length sleeve.

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Y Elena View Post
Quote:
I had the mechanics for our District run a diagnosis, which turned out to be exactly right, then I had the shop do it where we send our Diesel trucks to. The Injectors are under the valve covers and I was not down to take everything off the top of the motor to remove a valve cover.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Understood. My point wasn't to see if you did the work as much as wondering if you or whoever did do it considered the Injector Sleeve/Cups as the possible root cause of the problem.

Nice that you have mechanics that you trust. Glad it worked out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in