06 6.0 Blue Smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 6.0 Blue Smoke

Here is the dilemma... Turbo has 9K miles on it, original replaced for nearly identical issue as I am currently experiencing 13 months ago. Basically I can shut down a 4 lane highway at the traffic lights with blue smoke, good thing, I guess is people stay clear of me.
Have since pulled the dipstick, removed the fill cap and run every diagnostic test that Autel and AE offer - situation normal. There is considerable oil in the downpipe at the CAT pipe.

No smoke visible under acceleration, good boost numbers and no other noticeable detrimental issues.

Figuring for sure its yet again a failed Turbo, it was removed Tuesday evening boxed, and shipped NDA to dealer where purchased for warranty check-out Wednesday on Thursday, Dealer in turn received and checked-out turbo and, same day shipped back to me NDA - received last evening.

Upon removal, copious amount of oil in the exhaust turbine and down pipe. Y-pipe and intake all completely clean.

Turbo, had no obvious problem causing the oil to puke into the exhaust stream. Shaft rotation appears smooth and normal.

Dilemma is this : Dealer and their mechanic notes no issues with the turbo, no reason found for it to puke oil out the exhaust - thus no warranty replacement required.

Soooo - Would you re-install it and continue the search on the limited, thought to be checked issues that could be the actual problem or, bite the bullet and buy another turbo regardless on dealer findings?

Thanks - Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	127504  

Name:	IMG_1217.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	127506  

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	127508  

2006 Ford F250 6.0
July 2005 build
Coolant filter
Blue Spring
OEM Oil cooler
NC Hornet CCV
All Ford upgrades
Economy Tune by Eric
Edge CTS with Fuel Pressure and EGT
Shell Rotella T6 5W40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:30 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
If there is NO OIL IN THE Y-PIPE you have verified that the oil is not coming from the engine. It's kinda obvious that your turbo has a leaking seal or a failed beating. Either way, I would not reinstall that turbo without rebuilding or replacing the center rotating housing. If you purchased the turbocharger from a Ford dealer remember that there is a 24-month/unlimited miles warranty on the part.

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/f...yStatement.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks much for reading and reply.

I figured I would try the authorized Garrett Dealer where purchased prior to working direct with Garrett.

Here is the response..

"Notes from the turbo shop. Complaint : Excessive blue smoke , oil passing thru turbo exhaust .

Vane mechanism and solenoid control valve working and test to specifications .
No rubs or wheel damage present.
Bearing and thrust system in good condition , show only signs of normal wear.
Seal areas and piston rings on size.
Turbine wheel and bearing housing on size and within specs.
Coking on turbine wheel and shaft near seal area as well as the turbine side of the bearing housing from excessive heat .
No fault found with unit to cause leak .

Unit will be reassembled and returned as is at no charge ."

2006 Ford F250 6.0
July 2005 build
Coolant filter
Blue Spring
OEM Oil cooler
NC Hornet CCV
All Ford upgrades
Economy Tune by Eric
Shell Rotella T6 5W40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

**Update**

In spite of the Garrett Dealers findings, serious lack of confidence remained in the problem turbo. Ordered yet another replacement, installed. With 100 or so miles on the new replacement, all seems well - no smoke at startup and oil in the down pipe is drying up.

Hopefully this project is done...

2006 Ford F250 6.0
July 2005 build
Coolant filter
Blue Spring
OEM Oil cooler
NC Hornet CCV
All Ford upgrades
Economy Tune by Eric
Shell Rotella T6 5W40
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:15 PM

So you are on the hook for buying two turbos??

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Apparently Bismic... ZERO response from Garrett and dealer claimed - nothing out of the ordinary with it. So, have a turbo with less than 10K miles on it boxed up in my garage. Not pleased at all...
Being a daily driver, didn't have time nor the resources available to fight the fight.

2006 Ford F250 6.0
July 2005 build
Coolant filter
Blue Spring
OEM Oil cooler
NC Hornet CCV
All Ford upgrades
Economy Tune by Eric
Shell Rotella T6 5W40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in