07 6.0, changed fuel filters and now issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 6.0, changed fuel filters and now issues

My truck was running and starting just fine the other day and it was due for oil and fuel filter change. I changed the fuel filters using the Motorcraft FD4616 filters like normal. I cycled the key 3 or 4 times like normal to pump fuel back up to secondary bowl. When I went to start it I noticed it started real sluggish like it was building fuel pressure but after a few seconds it was fine. I drove it a few days and all was good until the other morning I went to start it and it was about 48 degrees out so it cycled the key a few times and let the glow plugs warm up and it started sluggish again until it built up pressure. I can shut the truck off and go back out an hour later and pull the secondary filter cap off and the bowl is empty. If I turn the key on and let the fuel pump run until it shuts off, the truck starts like normal. The strange thing is once it starts, it runs perfectly fine and has good power. I have pulled both filters back out and checked them for placement and everything looks normal. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 08:58 AM

If its draining back then there has to be an air leak somewhere. Check the o-ring on the secondary filter.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
Old 11-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Had the same problem I hope u get it fixed fast , mine is goin to run me 5700.00 to replace fuel system and ford wants to charge me 10,000.00 I told them hell no !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM

When I removed the cap on my secondary fuel filter, the level used to drop. I changed out the standpipe and it doesn't do that anymore.

Personally, I think you need a scan tool that reads codes and engine parameters. You quite possibly have something else going on.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 11-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Possibilities:

Return / leak ---- (those fuel tank to HFCM lines are "one finger" disconnects and the return may have gotten bumped when you did the lower filter)

O-Ring on secondary (or a crack if over-tightened)--- use lube to roll the o-ring up into the "o-ring gap space", then tighten 18 ft lbs

Dislodged contamination/ recurrent air pocket

Six to Seven Key On / Key Offs (with 20-30 second interval between)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1955 View Post
My truck was running and starting just fine the other day and it was due for oil and fuel filter change. I changed the fuel filters using the Motorcraft FD4616 filters like normal. I cycled the key 3 or 4 times like normal to pump fuel back up to secondary bowl. When I went to start it I noticed it started real sluggish like it was building fuel pressure but after a few seconds it was fine. I drove it a few days and all was good until the other morning I went to start it and it was about 48 degrees out so it cycled the key a few times and let the glow plugs warm up and it started sluggish again until it built up pressure. I can shut the truck off and go back out an hour later and pull the secondary filter cap off and the bowl is empty. If I turn the key on and let the fuel pump run until it shuts off, the truck starts like normal. The strange thing is once it starts, it runs perfectly fine and has good power. I have pulled both filters back out and checked them for placement and everything looks normal. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

#1 problem I see when a customer comes in with this scenario is the primary filter cap is not screwed in all of the way, even a 2mm gap between the cap and the pump body will be problematic. The filter element has a point inside that opens the fuel pump inlet valve when fully seated and it MUST be fully seated and it does not open the pump inlet until that last bit. I have even seen instances like yours where its good then it's not. If this is the case here and you are having difficulty tightening the primary filter cap I recommend removing it and lubricate the o-ring and the pump body where the o-ring seats with CLEAN ENGINE OIL not grease or diesel fuel and reassemble. The cap will screw in much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 11-19-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in