1 Truck, 2 Truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TKOPerformance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1 Truck, 2 Truck

So I purchased the second 6.0. Its a late 04 singal cab dually. I spent much of the weekend pulling parts of the single wheel. Turbo/FICM/Stat/Fuel system/Injectors etc.. as well as a fender, the tailgate, front bumper and some other random parts.

I was told by the seller that the dually just had HPOP done, some brakes/shocks etc.. and that it needed an EGR valve, #7 injector and a front left tire. (had a new u-joint recently)

When I went to view the truck it was running. We shut it off and restarted it and it sounded real strong. My 1 concern was A LOT of what looked to be oil spray all over much of the passenger side head.. all up the hood vac pump etc..

When i got the truck home and started it... there was TONS of smoke coming from the passenger side. I assumed the Up-Pipe was the issue, shut it off and started tearing into it. What i found was a blown up-pipe.. and also a significant crack in the exhaust manifold. Both have been spraying soot all over the engine bay.. what a mess.

Thoughts on changing the manifold?? Weld it in place? Maybe use a product to fill the crack? I have another on the other engine.. but if its a massive undertaking to get them both off.. maybe im best to buy a new one? The up-pipe has to come out anyway..

Also im starting to get a little concerned that the engine has been overheated to a major point? How often does a manifold crack..?? If you watched all the issues I had on the first truck.. you may know that I dont know if I could handle another catastrophic issue lol... I have so many new parts!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_094025.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	115521  

PARTS TRUCK 2004 early build F350 Single Cab, Single wheel

DAILY 2004 late build F350 Single Cab, Dual Wheel
FICM rebuilt
-Rochester House of Boost- Rebuilt 03 build Turbo/Upgraded Billet compressor wheel/Turbine
FASS Fuel System/FPR Blue spring upgrade installed/Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge
Black and Blue Cab-lights
New UpPipes and Exhaust Manifolds
New Oil Cooler/EGR Cooler
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines
New Alternator and Batteries

2005 Smart 450, 699CC Turbo Diesel
Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo
Rebuilt head with lifters, cam, timing chain etc...

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 AM

My Photos: (0)
Replace the manifold. Welding it won't work; it will just crack and fail again in short order. Properly welding cast iron requires baking the part for heat relief, then welding, then baking again to remove entrapped stress. Often it will need to be trued up in a mill after all that.

BD Power makes new manifolds that are quite nice from what I've read.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Ya I agree..

I had a big fight getting the old one off today. This truck used to be a plow truck, and much of the front end is rusty. All the manifold bolts were partially corroded, and I could only get one to spin with a socket.

I basically had to cut the manifold into pieces in situ.. so I could cut each bolt with my grinder. (no access to torches)

Got it out, and of course was stumped at removing the right up pipe from the Y-pipe. which means I needed to cut it from the left manifold.. and now have another y-pipe on order as well. So other than the left manifold it will all be new.

Only took 4 HOURS to pull this crap... and it was like 40 degrees here in Ontario today...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170923_123959.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	115729  

FICM rebuilt
-Rochester House of Boost- Rebuilt 03 build Turbo/Upgraded Billet compressor wheel/Turbine
FASS Fuel System/FPR Blue spring upgrade installed/Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:47 PM

And you know why my truck has never seen a plow. Its a far better truck for it than any other plow truck I've ever owned, but I also know what plowing does to trucks. Worn out front ends, blown u-joints, sagging springs, and rust, rust, rust.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Ya its amazing the difference between the SRW that was a concrete truck.. and the DRW plow truck.. so much rust up front, but the body is in amazing shape. I know it was Krown sprayed, but that didnt help the front end at all.

Im going to swap the entire front axle to start.. The frame is so much nicer on the SRW as well.. to bad I cant just swap it all lol..

FICM rebuilt
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick update for those interested...

IF you have an issue with any exhaust parts on the engine side of the turbo... Just order and replace them all. Rust and heat are a bad combination. The up-pipe bolts on the drivers side exhaust manifold were basically welded to the manifold. I cut them to remove the up-pipe, but there was no way to get them off the manifold. So even tho it was fine, it was replaced as well.

I now have all new parts leading to the turbo, including both manifolds. Just ordered the parts as needed, delayed the process and paid more in shipping than needed.

FICM rebuilt
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 AM

My Photos: (2)
I always coat the studs, nuts, bolts in Anti-Seize. Not sure if it helps the next time they come apart given the extreme heat...but it makes me feel like I've done everything possible to aid in the next disassembly.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Im guessing you use the copper stuff? Smart idea for sure. It cant hurt.

FICM rebuilt
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Replaced all 4 injectors 1-7 and after a bit of work to align the up pipes to the turbo I was successful in replacing the exhaust parts. After getting all of the pully's sorted out (removing the bracket and extra wheel for what I am guessing was a hydraulic pump) I noticed that the tensioner wasn't moving, and would not hold tension on the belt. Used the tensioner from the single wheel.. same thing.

AC clutch. completely stuck.

Line is broken, so Im not concerned about using AC for the moment.. but I need the clutch to spin. Can I just swap the clutches out to allow the belt to spin at least? Im not interested in pulling the compressor right now.. but is there any danger in swapping the clutches? Will it disengage, or spin on its own if the compressor is damaged? Could I damage a bearing?

I imagine I will replace the AC in the spring.. I may have the shop handle that one..

FICM rebuilt
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:36 AM

You should be able to swap the clutch in place. Sometimes there is a special tool needed for this. I've never pulled a clutch on this model of compressor before, but that's the standard protocol form the ones I've done over the years. I would Google "compressor clutch swap Ford 6.0" and I will bet there's some resources on the web that will tell you exactly how to do it.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Ya it looks fairly simple.. just a regular C clip after taking the centre bolt out. My concern is that if the AC unit is locked up, will the magnet hold the clutch wheel from spinning somehow?? In theory a clutch swap should solve my issue in the short term... but theory doesn't always hold up.

Guess we will see.

FICM rebuilt
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM

The clutch is only energized when you use the AC (possibly also the defrost), but you can always just unplug the clutch. That will ensure it never locks.
doublezero likes this.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

OK so...

I changed out the AC unit as a whole. a tough job for sure but was able to do it without lifting the engine, so it can be done.

Drove the truck for a few days with no issue at all. It runs great and I am super happy! Until my EOT skyrocketed.. upto 100 Deg C. So i pulled it apart again, and swapped out the oil cooler from the SRW that had only about 1000km on it. It was a long day.. and it didn't run right when I started it up. Turned out to be the first plug on the FICM not plugged in correctly. Drove it about 35min and it started acting up...

It was fluttery on the throttle, with a little white smoke, and when I pulled over it was leaking coolant from the top of the engine. I figured the EGR cooler had now popped.. and had it towed.

Im getting a p0488.. which I initially figured was the EGR due to coolant spray.. but im finding thats the EGR throttle body code???

Could this all be due to a popped EGR cooler? I am changing it and the oil cooler again this week anyway.. but should I be looking for something in the throttle body as well??

I am finally just about out of the weeds here I think.. lol

FICM rebuilt
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 AM

Wow, seems like you are understanding and getting to know the 6.0 very well

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STMPDUST View Post
Wow, seems like you are understanding and getting to know the 6.0 very well
Oh you are correct in saying that. I can have the turbo and intake manifold off in about 2 hours now... getting good at for sure!

... found that the EGR cooler is not blocked, but the o-ring that seal it to the intake was torn. ALWAYS CHANGE ALL YOUR SEALS!!!

Still going to replace the coolers now as parts will be here today. Should be great after sorting out the EGR issue.

FICM rebuilt
New HPOP
New Injectors
New brakes/cables
New shocks all around
New AC Compressor/Lines

Lowered on Eibachs
EGR Delete with emulator
Rebuilt turbo

2004 Yamaha R6
2016 KTM RC390
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in