2003 powerstroke 6.0 dead pedal cold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vettetlb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 powerstroke 6.0 dead pedal cold

Ok guys, need your help. My 6.0 needed injectors due to what i thought was stickstation. Just before i replaced the injectors, it developed a problem of would not move cold. I replaced the injectors hoping that was part of the problem since i was going to do that anyway. So my stickstation problem is gone. Now just runs a little rough on cold start. However the dead pedal problem still exists. I am not talking about it's slow to take off, i am talking about the light turns green and i step on the pedal to go and nothing happens. No rpm increase, just does an idle roll. After what seems to be an eternity, somebody flips a switch, the rpms kick in and i launch. Funny part is, dead cold no problem. Put just a little bit of heat in it then the problem begins. I'll back out of my driveway, take off normal. Get to the stop sign about half mile and it won't go. No codes, i replaced the pedal assembly, no change, i also checked the tube for the exhaust sensor and it is clean. 255000 miles. Stock except diablosport tuner which i have unprogramed until this problem is fixed. I have a small scanner that gives less live data than my diablo tuner. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 08:39 AM

Live data and codes are needed for troubleshooting.

Your best bet is to download ForScan to your smart phone and buy an OBDII adapter.

WiFi version for iOs
Blue Tooth for Android

Torque Pro works well w/ Android, it just doesn't read codes as well as ForScan.

Look for:
ICP pressure, psig
ICP volts
ICP desired
IPR% duty cycle command

Fuel pressure would be good to know also, but that takes an add-on sensor and gauge (which every 6.0L owner should have anyway IMO).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

agreed - live data is the best to work with. Of the live data that I can access nothing appears out of place or any change from my dead pedal to the point at which it is running properly. I will have to look into a different scanner to get the information you are asking for. however there is no guarantee that the dongle i purchase and the corresponding software for my phone will provide that information either. I will see what I can come up with. I did replace the IPC earlier this summer due to leaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:04 PM

I know for a fact that ForScan works well w/ i-phones (I have only "heard" that it also works for Android), and Torque Pro works well w/ androids. It will provide all I am asking for .... otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

The BAFX adapters work well.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettetlb View Post
Ok guys, need your help. My 6.0 needed injectors due to what i thought was stickstation. Just before i replaced the injectors, it developed a problem of would not move cold. I replaced the injectors hoping that was part of the problem since i was going to do that anyway. So my stickstation problem is gone. Now just runs a little rough on cold start. However the dead pedal problem still exists. I am not talking about it's slow to take off, i am talking about the light turns green and i step on the pedal to go and nothing happens. No rpm increase, just does an idle roll. After what seems to be an eternity, somebody flips a switch, the rpms kick in and i launch. Funny part is, dead cold no problem. Put just a little bit of heat in it then the problem begins. I'll back out of my driveway, take off normal. Get to the stop sign about half mile and it won't go. No codes, i replaced the pedal assembly, no change, i also checked the tube for the exhaust sensor and it is clean. 255000 miles. Stock except diablosport tuner which i have unprogramed until this problem is fixed. I have a small scanner that gives less live data than my diablo tuner. Help!!
did you ever find the problem. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Can't find help for it at all
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

no, the problem still exists.
I have replaced icp and pigtail, pedal assembly, ebp sensor, all injectors, egr valve, vgt solenoid, validated the turbo veins move proper and don't stick, put it back to stock tune (Diablo Tuner), blue spring upgrade. recent oil change, filters when I did the injectors. I'm sure i have missed a couple. All of this since fall of 2018 when the problem started.
starts easy. it does lope in park in idle when cold, put it in drive and the lope goes away.
other than the lope at idle it runs smooth. once it warms up the lope is gone. Once it warms up it runs like a raped ape, lots of power, smooth.
but when it's cold...don't come to a complete stop.
I have been two footing it and avoiding coming to a complete stop if at all possible. sometimes that works. but if you come to a complete stop, forget it. in drive (and reverse) the pedal is totally dead. in nuetral it revs fine, drop it into gear and the pedal is dead again. even neutral drop.
it idles in drive thru the intersection and just about the other side it takes off. of coarse there are a lot of pissed off people behicd you as you just idled thru a busy intersection. once it goes, it goes good unless you have to stop again. after about 5 to 7 miles of driving, the problem is gone. until you park it and it sits a little bit, then it starts all over again.
and if you have to go up any kind of an incline, even minute, forget it.
no real smoke out the tailpipe. just the normal from initial start.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 AM

Did u change the ipr and check the wiring? I was able to use auto enginuity and turn up icp to 30% to 70%and truck worked fine. Then I set it back to normal and dead pedal. Adjusted again and truck worked fine. And so on.
Something to look at
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I ended up replacing the IPC Sensor and it seems to have corrected the problem.
thecustommuffler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in