2005 6.0 blowing upper tube off at turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 blowing upper tube off at turbo

This started about 6 months ago when you first start and drive it sluggish tell it warms up and has blown the upper intercooler tube off at the turbo half a dozen time in last 6 months did it again yesterday. Has new boot and clamps from Ford but still pops off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion05 View Post
This started about 6 months ago when you first start and drive it sluggish tell it warms up and has blown the upper intercooler tube off at the turbo half a dozen time in last 6 months did it again yesterday. Has new boot and clamps from Ford but still pops off
This was happening to me a few years ago and the problem was the oil blowback into the seal area. Ended up just cranking down on the clamp and it hasn't come off since. Have to be careful not to over-tighten it, which I'm sure you already know.

Good luck with it. It's definitely a PITA.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Take the boot off and clean it and the tube with a good solvent. Brakeclean works well. Then get some liquid laundry detergent and smear a little inside the boot and reassemble. The stuff lets the boot conform to the tube initially then dries like glue.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 AM

Garage
After mine blew off under heavy throttle and put a nice lump in the hood I searched the forums and found some people were using a 3” exhaust clamp mounted to the alternator to hold it down (see attachment) however I ended up switching to a riffraff diesel boot with some new spring clamps and never had another issue. I’ve also heard of people using a little hair spray to add a little tack to the inside of the boot, assemble it before it dries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52E04EAD-0A26-46A3-8B9D-408623994CDA_1557041345530.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	127170  

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson edition:
Bullet proofed, usual mods.

2017 F-350 DRW Lariat Ultimate:
Stock pending warranty.

Last edited by 05_HARLEY_F250; 05-05-2019 at 02:46 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:05 AM

My Photos: (1)
If the vane ring in turbo is sticking or has the actuator slot worn out then the boost is not controlled right and it overboosts at upper revs and underboosts off idle. That leads to the sluggishness and then overboost that overpowers clean hose and tight clamps. The two wire connector on the VGT solenoid may be off but that should give service engine soon light.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.

Last edited by jimmy; 05-05-2019 at 09:07 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:03 PM

I take a round piece of silver solder and wrap it around the lip on cold tube, install boot and put clamp directly over the solder ring i made, tighten the clamp and it has never moved in 5 years.

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
If the vane ring in turbo is sticking or has the actuator slot worn out then the boost is not controlled right and it overboosts at upper revs and underboosts off idle. That leads to the sluggishness and then overboost that overpowers clean hose and tight clamps. The two wire connector on the VGT solenoid may be off but that should give service engine soon light.

You may be on to the underlying condition here as most a adding a solution to the symptom.

However if there are no other issues, as over-boost, the hairspray tip works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'05 F250 Lariat Crew Shorty Dark Stone FX4
AFE, MBRP single 304 4"w/ test pipe
ARP's w/ stock gaskets, Air Dog II 165
Driven Diesel Reg Ret fuel Kit
RCD Delete, 180/75's, 68mm VG Blow Jobby
Innovative Diesel Tuned SCT X3
Diesel Site coolant filter, Insight CTS
Overhead Auto Meters, Leveled
Homebrew traction bars
35x12.50x20 ATZ's on Ultra Mako's
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 AM

What have you done to verify that MAP, EBP, and BAro sensors are accurate? What do they all 3 read at KOEO?

Have you checked to see if the MAP hose has a leak or is plugged? How about the EBP tube and sensor - checked for carbon plugging them up?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 AM

I had same problem clean both really good, get your clamps from b&d I got mine from alligator diesel best clamps out friend is running 110psi boost with these and also spray elmers glue you can get this glue at any arts and crafts store. Clean really well with brake cleaner then apply the glue put it bacj in and tighten till spring is collapsed to the point of stripping the threads its 1/2 you wont hurt it. I did same never lose a boot again i only get around 40 to 50 psi boost. Mine first blew passing on a hill on interstate my girlfriend thought a ran someone over and freaked out lmao it took out the return hose going to degas bottle. Which was 40 at the dealer for a 1 and a half foot hose. But this will work if you clean all traces of oil off turbo and hose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in