2005 power stroke, test oil pump and ICP - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 power stroke, test oil pump and ICP

I have a 2005 f-350 Power stroke. While driving down a road, the engine died. There were no indications something is wrong, no sputtering, the engine sounded perfect when it died. It will not start, the starter turns the engine over, but it won't start up. The only modifications the truck has had done was the EGR delete about six years ago. I changed all of the filters recently.

Looking at the common issues, how can I test the high-pressure oil pump? How can I test the ICP sensor? Is there anything else anyone can suggest? I don't currently own any diagnostic scan tools. What appreciate any advice.

Last edited by NoelC; 08-10-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: More information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Did you attempt to restart the truck after it had cooled down a few hours later. Your problem could be many things but I'm leaning towards a leak in the HPO system. When the oil is hot, it is also very thin and leaks rear their ugly head. If you had an earlier year motor I'd suggest the problem was the HPOP itself but the HPOP's on 2005 F350's rarely bite the dust.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 PM

To be sure, you should download the Forscan App on your phone and purchase a wireless dongle to be able to read the computer data. We need to know what the FICM voltage is, the FICM Sync values, the ICP and IPR values while cranking, the ICP voltage, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 03:03 PM

Same happed to me. The STC fitting on HPOP came loose. Wouldn't start when cold it would start but shut down trying to drive. First time I needed a wrecker for my truck. Second time was getting out of the shop that fixed it. But caused other problems not putting it back together right. So I started collecting tools need to work on a powerstroke. Guess if you want it done right do it yourself. Thought once I retired and sold all my toils I'd be done. Haven't found a ship that can fix anything right without causing other issues or finding one that stands behind their work. Parts break I know this but crappy work says alot more. Check your connection start with least exspensive parts first and buy OEM I found out the hard way buying cheaper parts cost more because you'll end up buying OEM to fix it right. Tried buying the cheaper sensors on a rebuild end up replacing and buying OEM so it costs more in the end. Good luck hope its something easy to figure out and fix its not going to be cheap never is. Hopefully a few buck it's good.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried starting when cold. The next day, and a few days later. I'm looking at scanners, trying to figure out which one to purchase. Will the ELM327 Scanner give me the information I need?
Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 AM

I've got a few scanners myself. The FORScan App for Ford's will work I believe but spend some time reading reviews first. Here is another scanner you can download:

https://youtu.be/fTwIqweEiSg
Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Here is another one that I have. I like it because I leave it on my dashboard all the time and can always see how my motor is running.

https://youtu.be/V0aYZLlWeqo
Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
To be sure, you should download the Forscan App on your phone and purchase a wireless dongle to be able to read the computer data. We need to know what the FICM voltage is, the FICM Sync values, the ICP and IPR values while cranking, the ICP voltage, etc.
Had somebody plug in a scanner, using Forscan here's the readings it recorded:

FICMSYNC: moved from NO to YES when cranking the engine
VPWR, volt: dropped from 12.0 with the key on, to 11.0 when cranking the engine
MPWR, volt: fluctuated between 47.5 and 48.5, cranking didn't seem to change its value
BOO: Off, didn't change when cranking
VPWR, volt: dropped from 12.13 with the key on, to 10.75 when cranking
IPR, %: jumped from 14.84 with the key on, to 84.77 when cranking
ICP, kPa: didn't change when cranking
ICP, volt, fluctuated between 0.23 and 0.22 with the key on, about 0.23 when cranking
LPWR, volt: dropped from 12 to 11 when cranking

Tried to attach the Forscan .fis file, says it's not allowed. Is the ICP, kpa the HPOP? Should it have changed while cranking the engine? Again, thank you for any suggestions.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:00 PM

On the front of the right hand valve cover there's a wire connection to what looks like an oil pressure sender. That's your ICP sensor. Unplug it and see if the truck starts.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
Old 08-14-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
On the front of the right hand valve cover there's a wire connection to what looks like an oil pressure sender. That's your ICP sensor. Unplug it and see if the truck starts.
I forgot to mention, I already tried that. It wouldn't start, the engine just cranks over.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:11 AM

Do you have base oil pressure? When you crank it does the oil pressure needle come alive?

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have base oil pressure? When you crank it does the oil pressure needle come alive?
No, it doesn't move. I've read conflicting information about this, some say it won't move until the engine starts.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I checked again, yes the needle does move eventually.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Your symptoms certainly point to a major leak in the HP oil system. I wish one of the wiser heads here would chime in but in my opinion you're running out of easy diagnostic steps. If it was me my next step would be an IPR air test. You'll need a fitting like the attached image. In theory its possible to get the IPR out and put this fitting in without completely dismantling the top of the engine. My experience has been that the FICM needs to come out as well as the obvious air intake bits and pieces. I'd put air to the IPR fitting and listen at the right rear of the engine "valley". That's where the STC fitting connects the HPOP output to the branch tubes and for the size of leak you're looking for that seems to me the most probable location.
Attached Images

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM

+1 on a failed STC fitting (HPOP discharge fitting) being the most likely candidate - assuming it hasn't already been replaced.

Air test time.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in