'2006 6.0L stalls when cold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2006 6.0L stalls when cold

Hello all! Newbie here. Have been checking other threads to see if anyone has this problem. Looks like most have a tuner kit of some sort so I have to ask this here.

I have recently purchased a 2006 F350 6.0 4wd dually to haul my car to the track. I used to own a 2000 F250 with the V10 that I sold to pick up the dually. The F350 has 126,000 mile on it and it is stock except for a dealership done EGR delete performed before I bought it.

The problem I am having is that it has started to stall out when cold. Either when I put it into gear, or as I come to a stop. Just dies right off. The idle is at about 650. I tried to use the block heater to fool it into thinking it was warmed up, but no luck. I have recently replaced the FICM ( which was a plug-and-play-already-flashed) and have taken it to my local Ford dealer to have it re-flashed as well. Still have the same problem. The dealer re-flashing changed the driveability of the truck, and the MPG as well (for the better), but it still stalls when cold. After driving ( and restarting a 1/2 dozen times ) it will run just fine, and stop just fine.

Should I replace the PCM? Should I seek out a diesel tuner to adjust the cold idle? Keep away from the dealer who offers no help?? I love this truck and this is driving me nuts.

I have changed the oil with 15W-20 diesel synthetic blend with a filter change as well as a fuel filter (both) change.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 10:05 PM

This is just a shot in the dark but could it be your MAF sensor? The symptoms you've described are a bit odd.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:48 AM

Did you really mean a 15W-20 blend?

If so, get that oil out of there and change to a synthetic diesel rated CI4, CI4+ or CJ4 5W40 oil or a 10W30.

Also, if you really did mean it, post a link to the oil.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 09-03-2018 at 07:05 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Did you really mean a 15W-20 blend?

If so, get that oil out of there and change to a synthetic diesel rated CI4, CI4+ or CJ4 5W40 oil or a 10W30.

Also, if you really did mean it, post a link to the oil.
Yes Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel synthetic blend. Oh Shoot~ it is a 15W-40 not 15W-20! DUH! I talked to my part store guy with your concern. He ordered up Amsoil full synth diesel 10W-30 for me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Camshaft Position Sensor! Ordered a re-man PCM and it didn't work at all and killed my batteries in the process. Got new batteries, put in original PCM and hooked up my code reader before I fired it up. Got the error for the Cam sensor. Took 2 days to get it out of the block because it was seized in there. Lots of penetrating fluid and drooled a 1/2 gallon of P/S fluid down the arm removing the P/S hose to get the sensor all the way out. Gotta love the Ford engineers........truck starts fine and no longer stalls when cold!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 AM

Last I looked, Navistar built the engine ........

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in