4x4 but only one wheel spins in the rear - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 but only one wheel spins in the rear

Hi everyone, I hope all are well,

I have a 2003 ford f 250 super duty 4x4 diesel, with 162,000 on it, well the other day I want to pull someone out and tryed it with out the four wheel drive, the thing is the guy with me said ONLY ONE rear wheel was spinning, I would think both wheels would, May I have a three wheel drive, lol I then put it in four wheel and pulled it out no trouble, but should both wheels spin in two wheel drive or am I just not doing something right, Thank You so much for your help and time.

2003 Ford F 250 Super Duty 4x4 6.0 Power Stroke auto, 132,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:50 PM

Google "locking differential". Unless you've got one you're going to have a stationary tire in 2 WD.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
If it is not a locking differential both rear wheels will drive until one wheel loses traction. Then all of the power will go to the spinning wheel and the other wheel will stop turning. That's how a differential works.

And you have a differential in the front axle, too.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank You Mark, feel better now,

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bob,

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 PM

It just occurred to me that I should share a learning experience from my past. At the time I didn't know that you can lock the front hubs like a Warn locker by turning the plastic bit in the middle so I was depending on the vacuum activation and it was leaking enough that the hubs wouldn't stay in. I was on a field road and I hit a small depression going slow. The front wheels dropped in the hole and the back wouldn't push or pull it out so I flipped the switch on the dash but I still couldn't climb out because the front hubs wouldn't stay locked. I got the farmer to tow me out and later learned that I should have turned the plastic bit in the middle of the hub. Actually you should turn that piece as a maintenance item because it will get pretty stiff otherwise. You probably knew that already but just in case, there it is.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 PM
RT

Keep in mind as well that your limited slip differential has a clutch pack that wears out pretty quickly. Mine is “limited slip” and it probably hasn’t worked the way it was designed in 15 years. If off roading is something you do often, check out an Eaton TrueTrac upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in