6.0 long crank to start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 long crank to start

Hello everyone,
Iím having a problem with my 2005 F250 6.0. It has about 112K. Iím the original owner. It all started with two bad glow plugs. Removing the plastic connectors on the harnesses was a nightmare. All but two came out in pieces. I had to remove the valve covers to see if any plastic fell inside which it did. I fished out all I could find without removing the heads. After everything was reassembled I have very long crank to start 20 seconds plus. Oil is draining fast out of the oil/fuel rails. I removed the IPR valve and did the air test. It holds 100psi with no leaks. Iíve installed new Ford dummy plugs and upgraded STC fitting. How is the oil draining out if it passed the air leak test? The stand pipe has what kind of looks like a check valve but itís clean. Iím thinking thereís a piece of plastic holding something open. When it does start it runs great with plenty of power. Truck is bone stock no tunes or aftermarket upgrades. Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:42 PM

When you removed the valve covers did you also have the oil rails off? If so have you driven the truck hard since then? By "hard" I mean several full throttle accelerations from 10 to 60 MPH. That's what it takes to purge the air from the oil rails and air in those rails will absolutely produce your symptoms. If you didn't have the rails off this is all moot but if you did, take the truck for a hard run.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I had both oil rails off and drove it pretty hard on some country roads to purge out the air. I also forgot to mention I replaced the IPR valve. The truck restarts fine if you wait just a few seconds. The longer I wait the longer it takes to start. Scangauge shows zero IPR pressure for at least ten seconds. As soon as it reaches 500 psi it starts. I removed the ICP sensor and itís clear that the oil has drained down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:54 PM

I'm probably wrong but it sure sounds like air left in the system. There's a Ford TSB that calls for 10 full throttle pulls from something like 10 to 60 MPH. I went through exactly the symptoms you are experiencing and eventually just drove the p*** out of mine to cure it.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully thatís all it is. Unfortunately Itís going to be a couple of days before I can get back home. Iíll post back my results.
Thanks, Jeff
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I finally found the TSB you were talking about and you were right. After performing this procedure it now starts immediately like it used to do. Thanks for your suggestion.

Long Cranking Times at Factory Delivery or After HP Oil System Repair:
If a 6.0 cranks for longer than 2.5 seconds in temperatures above 32 degrees it may be due to air trapped in the HP oil system. To purge the air, drive the truck through 12 hard accelerations from 25-50 MPH. Turn off the engine and allow the truck to sit for 5 minutes. Restart the engine to see if crank time has improved. Crank times of 3-5 seconds in cold temperatures should be considered normal.
TSB #05-19-14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in