6.0 not charging - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 not charging

2006 6.0
Bought the truck used and was running fine over the years. But this all started a year ago or so. The batteries wouldn't charge, so replace the alternator and the batteries and it would run like a top for a few months. Recently I was having the same issues so replaced the alternator and it was working...but then stopped. I took the truck to an electrical specialty shop where they were not able to locate the issue as it would not act up for them. I recently replaced the passenger power cable from the alternator to the battery running in parallel to the factory wire. That let the truck run fine for about 3 weeks. But driving one night I noticed that at a stop light the voltage would drop down to around 11 and then under load it would come back up to 13s. Shut the truck off and went to drive again the voltage never reached over 11s under load or not. I am not sure where to go from here and what to do???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:03 PM

Is the original alternator wire hooked up to the battery still?

2003 F-250 4x4 6.0l
220,000 miles
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes the original battery cable is hooked up to the alternator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in