The Diesel Stop banner

6.0 Oil leak no ideas where

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Bluebyyou411 
#1 ·
Ok i just rebuilt this motor completely. First time starting it up ran great no leaks then 10 mins in it started at from main just after send the tools back to freefom of course. So i got the tools back took new seal wear ring out put old seal back in no leaks. Well now i have one that started in back it drips right by the ac water coming out now its covered my trans to the rear end oil dripping off everything but the engine. So i tore it down from the top pulling turbo everything to be able to see and feel. Well theres no oil anywhere up top. HPOP cover clean ICP clean turbo clean oil cooler filter housing clean. Not one gasket leaking on the motor all the sensors are clean and dry. Theres no spray no oil anywhere except that you can see whete it comes down the trans adaptter plate on to tranny. Thought ICP HPOP cover there clean lost about half a quart in 200 miles. Im stumped ive looked at everything i can think of that plays a part with oil system. The thing that doesnt has the oil on it. Need help before i end up taking to a shop and getting screwed overfor something im over looking. Any suggestions any place i should look. Like i said its brand new rebuilt i took motor out and went from oil pan to turbo rebuilding this motor. Runs greatjust this one thing. Thanks in advance for any help. Donny

#2 ·
Lots of places end up on the transmission and then on the bell housing. Have you checked the dip stick tube seal?
I assume you have ruled out the rear main seal. If it is ok (and if the dip stick tube seal is ok), then - glow plugs can leak, so can the cam and crank sensors. CAC boots can seep oil also. The oil cooler seals can leak also.

#4 ·
If the HPOP was worked on, the HPOP cover has a "seam" that often times leaks when re-assembled without silicone. It is at the corner of the HPOP cover and the rear cover.

#5 ·
Well guys after tearing it apart and back together a few times i think ive found the problem but would like to hear some input for you guys. Like i said in my original post this motor is brand new rebuilt. I did myself and was my first diesel so a learning experience for me. The only place im finding oil is the back left corner of the head that is it. I got a bore cam checked everywhere about 20 mins of video looking at every sealing area. I really didnt think a oil leak from a head gasket would leak this much oil and cover everything to the rearend. Well first i didnt know but found out by calling diesel tech's that i shouldve use ford OEM head gasket well i used Fel-Pro ive used them all my life never having one fail to seal this is a first for me. Have the gotten that bad over the past years.

Well i went to ford dealer and got the headgaskets even tho its only the one leaking i dont feel comfortable leaving the other one on the truck and not looking forward at taking heads back out but i still have most of everything still off the motor y pipes out turbo . Rebuilding the motor i used arp head studs so i guess it should be a little easier getting heads out. The problem that i guess will be torquing them down to the required 210# while in the truck. When i moved here a few years ago i broke my collar bone didnt know these docs up here wouldn't fix it so these that had a hard enough time the first time with it out. Guess i need to try an find a younger person than me to maybe torque them down once back on. So if anyone living around Knoxville or Gatlinburg area wouldnt mind helping a busted up older guy putting the heads back down on this PSD it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED ive never in my life asked for anything from anyone before but i guess age is catching up to me. It took 3 months getting this motor back in. I took the whole front clip dam near off to do this before having noway of lifting cab. I have the tools and equipment to do the job now. Just know im not going to be able to torque head properly while in truck one armed took 2 days to torque while out by myself guessing im not as strong as i once was 10 years ago before a busted collar bone no problem. I do want to thank everyone that gave advise on the rebuild and helping find this leak, other than this leak this motor runs great smooth and sounds awsome. Like i said my firdt DIESEL rebuild. Ive built many of gassers in my day loving the drag Racing as i did the rush of a big block putting down 2000+ HP was unrealistic loved it, but gave it all up 10 yrs ago after spending almost 5 months in ICCU guess nothing like living by tubes only can change a persons perspective on a lot of things. Again thanks to everyone because i respected everyone's reply and opinion they was very helpful with this whole truck. Being its the only truck i have its a must have thing, only other vehicles are motorcycles at this time, but it is what it is. Hoping everyone's having a great day donny

#6 ·
It is probably the rocker carrier gasket leaking and not the head gasket. That said, you still will need to do the head gasket again for that leak.

#7 ·
I took video and used a paper towel carefully when checking that leak area at the head checking valve cover then rocker box id feel at ease about leaving other one if it where rocker box seal. I used my hand and paper towel trying to find a trace of oil and from top to bottom got nothing till i got too that bottom corner of the head and using the borecam you can see the oil at the block head mating surface but top where rocker box and head meet is dry and clean. One of the things i made sure of was to not have any leaks anywhere and it looks like i did a good job there but cant stop a head gasket from not sealing properly . Thats been my lick here lately it seems. Thank you bismic as always im very appreciative of any advise i get from you, this has been a learning experience for me thats for sure. And i still love my diesels even if they give me a hard time from time too time. Just like kids

#8 ·
Just a comment about FelPro gaskets. Lots and lots of people and shops are using them on the 6.0L. Unless that particular gasket had a defect, I don't believe that the FelPro gaskets are bad.

#9 ·
Your right i dont think Fel-Pro are bad either ive used for over 30+ yrs. They told me not to use them with O-ringed heads, so i found where the head gasket didnt seal . That part was covered in oil both side in that corner, the other one looked great and sealed up but them telling me what they did im doing both for peice of mind. Another thing i found while cleaning up the head was more slag and i checked the heads when i got them. It was so big it blocked off a water port took a little to get it out. So i took my bore cam and found more but i got it all out. Not to happy with they amount i found but its one of them things. Guess ill post more later on how it goes and the endgame once done. I do know im using more arp torque lube and loctite. Head studs whete making cracking noise going on and coming off and some of the bolts that were torqued like 3 intake bolts were not very tight. Guess that harbor freight torque wrench isnt telling the truth below 20ftlb so ill do like i use to by feel retorquing the one below 20lb. Heres a few pics of what was inside just one head havent checked the othe one yet. And id like to thank everyone whos helped me look for this leak everything is appreciated. Anytime donny

Attachments

#10 ·
Well all the leaking is gone, got it back together and shes running fine. Only thing its taking awhile to start first time a code said TBS what ever that means according to my torque app its taking a while to build pressure. I know there was a lot of air the first time and i let it run til it was a operating temp let it cool and it still took a good bit before it started. Now i put my old stand pipes back in but they had only 200 miles and there were hard to get out, they came out in 2 peices both side. You think the orings might be leaking after coming apart and having to use pliers to pry them out. Should i have used the new ones that came with the kits from ford. I guess if it continues ill change them out because it started up really quick after the rebuild and only thing i did was pull heads an change gaskets

#12 ·
Thanks i didnt remove the dummy plugs when i did the new head gasketsjust the main ones. Well after driving about 50miles last couple days, today i needed do go to the store so i drove trying to get the first 1500 on easy . Well this time i did the normal thing waiting on the glow plug light to go out, im guessing what air was in the system is gone. This has never happened when starting the truck, it didnt take 1 sec and she fired up. I was in store maybe 30 mins come out same thing it didnt even spin a full turn it seems and fired up. So i drove around stopping and starting brand new it took somewhere between 4 to 6 sec to fire up i mean its firing like a gas engine now. I put a 6.4 starter to fire quicker before the rebuild and it took half the time but never started with in 2 sec. And the way my luck has been lately im waiting for something to happen it scared me starting that quick, was waiting for something bad to happen then. So i dont know. I have noticed a big power increase having to change head gaskets with only 200 miles on fresh motor the rings havent seated in well yet it still looked like it was just honed when i did a compression test while on the engine stand they all were in the 640 to 650 psi range so as the rings set in no telling where it might be maybe in the 700's. Guessing ill wait to see if nothing at all happens with this new start up time. Lol maybe im being paranoid because of how its been going other that shes plenty strong very quick off a stop almost like a gasser. I had the cruise set on the hwy on 65 started pulling a hill and WOW when it dropped about 2 mph and it went to climb back up it lite that turbo and set me back in the seat for a spilt sec turbo boost went from nothing to 25 quick with in one sec it let off the skinny pedal and was slowing down. It didnt climb back up easy like before it shot past my set speed by about 8 mph i can see a lot of fun once i feel this new motor is broken in good, at a quarter throttle it puts a big smile on my face its like riding my bike the speedo climbs so fast with out dropping the big hammer. One other thing ive noticed i filled my truck day one cant remember gallon wise but about 60 on fill up if on E fills it up. Ive got 300mi and it just above 3/4 now im not pulling anything yet, but it seems its doung like it did before if not better but its to early to do any real number crunching yet. This guy i know has same truck as mine and he did a rebuild last year. He said he rides between 70 and 85 mph like i do on interstate. Well he was getting about 6 MPG better than me and we drive in the mountains between north Carolina and tenn. The most i could get was 20 to 22 MPG before his rebuild he couldnt get past 15 MPG unless it was being towed. After rebuild hes claiming up to 26 mpg well i did almost the very same as he did only diff was injectors he went bigger i kept OEM size well these are original injectors with over 220,000 on them. I cleand them new o-rings but that was it. Thinking he went 180/30 on his mine have no idea just OEM thats the only thing left OEM. Ok guys thanks a million for you advice. Anything to keep out of the shop, the torquing of the headstuds wasnt as bad as i thought it would be with cab on, even with my broken collarbone. The only issue was the part when i got done climbed out to walk away my defibrillator went off knocking me about 4ft to the ground. Then the dealing with EMS someone called them trying to take me to the butcher shop. But 2 days later everyone is climbing my but for not going and doing what i was, i told them where were you when i needed help in first place. You guys know how that is noone to be found if theres work to do, or there busy, then something happens and it your fault fgor not saying you need help. Told them to kiss a northbound mule in his Southside cheek. Lol anyways good nite people have a great rest of week and the best weekend. Donny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.