6.0 Oil leak no ideas where - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Oil leak no ideas where

Ok i just rebuilt this motor completely. First time starting it up ran great no leaks then 10 mins in it started at from main just after send the tools back to freefom of course. So i got the tools back took new seal wear ring out put old seal back in no leaks. Well now i have one that started in back it drips right by the ac water coming out now its covered my trans to the rear end oil dripping off everything but the engine. So i tore it down from the top pulling turbo everything to be able to see and feel. Well theres no oil anywhere up top. HPOP cover clean ICP clean turbo clean oil cooler filter housing clean. Not one gasket leaking on the motor all the sensors are clean and dry. Theres no spray no oil anywhere except that you can see whete it comes down the trans adaptter plate on to tranny. Thought ICP HPOP cover there clean lost about half a quart in 200 miles. Im stumped ive looked at everything i can think of that plays a part with oil system. The thing that doesnt has the oil on it. Need help before i end up taking to a shop and getting screwed overfor something im over looking. Any suggestions any place i should look. Like i said its brand new rebuilt i took motor out and went from oil pan to turbo rebuilding this motor. Runs greatjust this one thing. Thanks in advance for any help. Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Lots of places end up on the transmission and then on the bell housing. Have you checked the dip stick tube seal?
I assume you have ruled out the rear main seal. If it is ok (and if the dip stick tube seal is ok), then - glow plugs can leak, so can the cam and crank sensors. CAC boots can seep oil also. The oil cooler seals can leak also.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Just checked everything you mentioned and they are all clean and dry. Anywhere else you can think of Thank you bismic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM

If the HPOP was worked on, the HPOP cover has a "seam" that often times leaks when re-assembled without silicone. It is at the corner of the HPOP cover and the rear cover.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Well guys after tearing it apart and back together a few times i think ive found the problem but would like to hear some input for you guys. Like i said in my original post this motor is brand new rebuilt. I did myself and was my first diesel so a learning experience for me. The only place im finding oil is the back left corner of the head that is it. I got a bore cam checked everywhere about 20 mins of video looking at every sealing area. I really didnt think a oil leak from a head gasket would leak this much oil and cover everything to the rearend. Well first i didnt know but found out by calling diesel tech's that i shouldve use ford OEM head gasket well i used Fel-Pro ive used them all my life never having one fail to seal this is a first for me. Have the gotten that bad over the past years.

Well i went to ford dealer and got the headgaskets even tho its only the one leaking i dont feel comfortable leaving the other one on the truck and not looking forward at taking heads back out but i still have most of everything still off the motor y pipes out turbo . Rebuilding the motor i used arp head studs so i guess it should be a little easier getting heads out. The problem that i guess will be torquing them down to the required 210# while in the truck. When i moved here a few years ago i broke my collar bone didnt know these docs up here wouldn't fix it so these that had a hard enough time the first time with it out. Guess i need to try an find a younger person than me to maybe torque them down once back on. So if anyone living around Knoxville or Gatlinburg area wouldnt mind helping a busted up older guy putting the heads back down on this PSD it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED ive never in my life asked for anything from anyone before but i guess age is catching up to me. It took 3 months getting this motor back in. I took the whole front clip dam near off to do this before having noway of lifting cab. I have the tools and equipment to do the job now. Just know im not going to be able to torque head properly while in truck one armed took 2 days to torque while out by myself guessing im not as strong as i once was 10 years ago before a busted collar bone no problem. I do want to thank everyone that gave advise on the rebuild and helping find this leak, other than this leak this motor runs great smooth and sounds awsome. Like i said my firdt DIESEL rebuild. Ive built many of gassers in my day loving the drag Racing as i did the rush of a big block putting down 2000+ HP was unrealistic loved it, but gave it all up 10 yrs ago after spending almost 5 months in ICCU guess nothing like living by tubes only can change a persons perspective on a lot of things. Again thanks to everyone because i respected everyone's reply and opinion they was very helpful with this whole truck. Being its the only truck i have its a must have thing, only other vehicles are motorcycles at this time, but it is what it is. Hoping everyone's having a great day donny
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

It is probably the rocker carrier gasket leaking and not the head gasket. That said, you still will need to do the head gasket again for that leak.

Mark
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

I took video and used a paper towel carefully when checking that leak area at the head checking valve cover then rocker box id feel at ease about leaving other one if it where rocker box seal. I used my hand and paper towel trying to find a trace of oil and from top to bottom got nothing till i got too that bottom corner of the head and using the borecam you can see the oil at the block head mating surface but top where rocker box and head meet is dry and clean. One of the things i made sure of was to not have any leaks anywhere and it looks like i did a good job there but cant stop a head gasket from not sealing properly . Thats been my lick here lately it seems. Thank you bismic as always im very appreciative of any advise i get from you, this has been a learning experience for me thats for sure. And i still love my diesels even if they give me a hard time from time too time. Just like kids
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 05:47 AM

Just a comment about FelPro gaskets. Lots and lots of people and shops are using them on the 6.0L. Unless that particular gasket had a defect, I don't believe that the FelPro gaskets are bad.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in