6.0L F250 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L F250

I'm having an issue with my truck don't know if it's the starter or electrical problem if I go to the store and back and if the truck is warm it won't start no more it has to be cold to start what can it be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:52 PM

My Photos: (1)
yeah, you got some reading to do, "hot no start".

You're gonna need a way to read the computer, if you have time to mail order an Elm327 Bluetooth adapter and if you have a smart phone or tablet, then Torque Pro for android or I think Forscan has been gaining popularity but I'm not familiar with it to say.

If you can afford to wait for that, you will have time to read a lot, to begin isolating the real problem. Don't start swapping parts without doing that first.

Your truck is a hobby, have fun with it!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

About 2 years ago changed egr, oil cooler head studs to arp and gasket so I think it's none of that but I could be wrong so I think. I have an obdII scanner when I installed banks power and shows no codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:59 PM

Garage
As Idahoser stated, there is ALOT of reading out there on this hot no start topic, and it can be alot of things. I recently had this issue and already had the Torque Pro App and OBDII reader, which definately helped me out in figuring out my problem. In my case, it was a leak in the High Pressure Oil system, the STC fitting. When the truck was cold and the oil was thick, it would fire right up after the glow plugs cycled, but once the engine had a good heat soak and the oil was at operating temperature I would have problems. On a hot start I was not seeing the ICP readings break 450 PSI, the motor needs to see 500 to start. If you get the Torque Pro App, I would highly suggest buying the $4.99 one and don't even waste the time on the free version. Would also recommend the BAFX bluetooth ODII reader, as alot of the basic ELM 327 readers don't have the ability to read the CAN Protocol used in these trucks and you won't be able to monitor transmission fluid temp, torque converter lock up, or gear position. Hit up youtube and check out DieselTechRon's vids too, that guy was a WEALTH of knowledge and good education.

"He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Samuel L. Johnson

2005 Ford F-250 Superduty, 6.0 Power Stroke
Lariat, FX4, Camper Pkg, Charcoal Beige
BPD EGR Cooler & Oil Cooler, B&W Gooseneck
2013 Lariat 18" Wheels & 275/70R18 Duratracs

30 Ft Fleetwood Wilderness 5th Wheel
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:02 AM

Hey @Jackol76,I don't know your truck model,you can try Launch CR3001 obdII scanner that support 12V truck.

Get it you can DIY check your engine.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
His post leaves questions unanswered... he asked if it could be the starter which in my mind makes me want to ask if the no start condition means "no crank."
Idahoser likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Ok so it's not the starter I took it to the shop and found out there's a leak inside hpop or possibly an oring of an injector. In the morning turns on fine but has a hot no start, it doesn't build pressure. It only cranks up to 300 psi.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Are you trying to fix the issue or do you intend to have the shop do it?

Trying to fix things yourself requires retrieving engine parameters (not just codes). Also, most of the cheap code readers don't read codes very well (some of them actually retrieve very few codes). What kind of OBDII scan tool do you have?

Also, to start tracking the problem down, you need to know what year engine you have. The problem areas for an 03 and early 04 are different than that of the late 04, and different from the 05 and up.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

It's a 2006 engine I don't have the tools to fix and too many screws that have to be torqued down it's a little too much for my knowledge. I did want to break it down though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

I took it to a shop and they have the ford expensive scanner. I have the torque pro.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:50 AM

Torque Pro is a good tool to read engine parameters. It falls short on thoroughly retrieving codes.

Since it is already at a shop, then there isn;t much that you can do, but a hot no-start is not uncommon for the 05-07 model years.

Typically it is Dummy Plugs, StandPipe, and/or STC fitting (HPOP discharge fitting). That said, it could also be the injector o-rings, an o-ring in the oi rail, or even an issue w/ the IPR valve.

As mentioned above, an air test is how to track down the specific problem. If it were me and I still had the old dummy plugs and standpipes, I would go ahead and change them to the updated part.

I would also install the one-piece HPOP discharge fitting (replace the STC fitting) if it were still installed. These parts just fail too often for me to be happy about future reliability.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 07-27-2018 at 06:55 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Bismic those are my plans to upgrade everything. I was also planning on buying the bulletproof hpop but don't have that kind of money right now . So stock upgraded parts will be for now. Thank you guys
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:50 AM

To be honest, not sure you need to replace the HPOP. If it's a 2006 motor, it has a much more reliable HPOP than the early year 6.0's. The other things already mentioned are a must, starting with the STC Fitting, in my opinion.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:46 PM

Garage
Mine (2007 model year F250, but all built built in 2006) did exactly the same thing---turned out to be a failed/failing plug O ring in the high pressure rails that feed the injectors after I suspected the HPOP and possibly the STC connectors. The shop fixed it as i didn't have time to screw around with it. I got off paying a LOT less than I suspected it would cost me, but then I had a VERY competent and VERY honest shop do the job (TNT in Sparks Reno area) NV do the troubleshooting and repair.

When I die and go on to whatever is next, I'll KNOW I made it to heaven if my dogs are all there.

Last edited by doninreno; 10-31-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in