A 6.0L starts then dies. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A 6.0L starts then dies.

Hi all, my name is seth, i am new to the forum. I have a 2003 6.0 with 200k that starts right up than dies within a second or two of running. I bought the truck for cheap because of the problem it has. Here are some numbers i read from my edge cts monitor while trying to start the truck. My question is, are these numbers in spec? From my research they all look good but is the icp too high? I have a fuel pressure tester coming in the mail this week to test with also. Anyone have input for me?
FICM-48V-47.5v CONSTANT
ICP-SPIKES TO 1600 WHILE CRANKING
IPR- IS ALL OVER THE PLACE BUT PEAKS AT 90%
ICP- spikes to 2.6V
FICM SYNC- 1

NO CEL
DTCS: P0232, P0603

The truck has an airdog fuel pump that i can hear running so i think the fuel code is due to the air dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

So today i checked the fuel pressure a the fuel filter housing and it was 55 key on and 50 while cranking.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:38 PM

Garage
Right off, your IPR looks like the logical first place to check. I went ahead and did a write-up on my similar problems. The thread is titled: IPR ICP and the crank no-start. I hope it might help you avoid my mistakes and get you going.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
General George Patton Jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM

Garage
Seth - Did you figure out what it was?

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
General George Patton Jr
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro6r View Post
Seth - Did you figure out what it was?
Thank you very much for the reply Nitro! I pulled the ipr tonight and it has some crud on the screen. The screen looked to be in good condition though. Here is a picture. Is this normal or do i have a bigger issue somewhere?A 6.0L starts then dies.-ipr.jpg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:31 PM

Garage
From what I understand that shouldn't be enough to make that part your issue. But what you need to look at closely that I couldn't see in the pic is whether or not there are any small holes in the screen. Reason being, the HPOP can produce small slivers of metal that can go through the screen like spears. These make the smallest hole but are perfectly shaped to block the valve from closing. That said, yours doesn't look bad from what I can tell. My next effort if I were in your shoes would be to check the fuel pressure. Your fuel pump duty cycle is always 100% so that's not much help (unless you see it's not...). What you can do is pull the lid off the upper fuel filter housing, then turn the key on (DON'T CRANK IT). I was able to stand in my open door and see down into the filter housing and the housing filled with diesel in just a few seconds. Turn the key off before it spills over obviously. This will help you know you're pumping. The p0232 can be caused by power issues to the fuel pump. "The fuel pump secondary power circuit has a short to battery voltage" is an option that could cause you to not run. I'd focus here.

Also, I apologize for not telling you to check the fuel bowl (filter housing) filling before you dug your way to the IPR, but the crazy readings on its duty cycle gave me tunnel vision. I bet that valve would have to do some funky things if the fuel pump was providing only intermittent pressure. Again, good luck!

General George Patton Jr
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:35 PM

Garage
Also, if the fuel fills and pressure seems good, I would find a buddy with a 6.0 and ask to test your truck using a known good FICM. Yours is within tolerance at 47.5, but mine runs 48-48.5 and these seem to be at the end of a lot of frustrating roads according to the posts I read. If you can rule that out early and cheap, it would be to your benefit IMHO.

General George Patton Jr
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro6r View Post
From what I understand that shouldn't be enough to make that part your issue. But what you need to look at closely that I couldn't see in the pic is whether or not there are any small holes in the screen. Reason being, the HPOP can produce small slivers of metal that can go through the screen like spears. These make the smallest hole but are perfectly shaped to block the valve from closing. That said, yours doesn't look bad from what I can tell. My next effort if I were in your shoes would be to check the fuel pressure. Your fuel pump duty cycle is always 100% so that's not much help (unless you see it's not...). What you can do is pull the lid off the upper fuel filter housing, then turn the key on (DON'T CRANK IT). I was able to stand in my open door and see down into the filter housing and the housing filled with diesel in just a few seconds. Turn the key off before it spills over obviously. This will help you know you're pumping. The p0232 can be caused by power issues to the fuel pump. "The fuel pump secondary power circuit has a short to battery voltage" is an option that could cause you to not run. I'd focus here.

Also, I apologize for not telling you to check the fuel bowl (filter housing) filling before you dug your way to the IPR, but the crazy readings on its duty cycle gave me tunnel vision. I bet that valve would have to do some funky things if the fuel pump was providing only intermittent pressure. Again, good luck!
Here is some background on the truck. The previous owner did studs, rebuilt heads, oil cooler upgrade, 190/75 injectors, powermax, egr delete, 2013 alliant reman ficm, straight pipe, and trans. He gave me an sct with 2 custom tunes from innovative. He claims it was running great and then he went to start in the next day and it would start then die. I believe him because the truck was for sale as a running truck then all of a sudden the price dropped because the problem started.
I Have a new ipr on the way right now. Should be here this weekend. The air dog fuel pump wiring was all burnt up and the relay was partially melted. I am going to make my own relay with 10 gage wire this weekend with soldered connections. But even with the fried wiring, the fuel bowl was measuring 55psi from the schrader valve on top of the lid aftermarket lid. The fuel bowl does fill with fuel very rapidly and spews fuel everywhere in the process. It seems like when the pump is on, the truck wants to die, like it is flooding. I can keep the truck running if i turn the pump on and off every couple seconds. It does haze pretty bad at idle and when i rev the motor is smokes a little. I just installed a blue spring kit because i thought it might be something with the regulator. Sadly i dont have any friends with 6.0s to test a ficm. I will keep you updated with my findings on the blue spring, new pump wiring, new fuel filters, and new ipr. If you have anymore ideas please let me know. I need this thing running!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 05:41 PM

Garage
You've passed my experience. What you're doing makes sense to me, but I'm afraid I'm on board to learn from your experience instead of the other way around. I'm genuinely curious though, so please post when you figure it out. I will continue to look for similar issues for possible solutions.

General George Patton Jr
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

So i replaced the ipr, the fuel filter on the motor, fuel pressure regulator, wired in a 10ga fuel pump relay as I stated above. The truck now runs great. It is the fastest truck I have driven. My 7.3 feels like a slug in comparison. Thanks for the ipr advise Nitro. That was likely part of the problem.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:09 PM

Garage
Awesome, glad to hear you got it straight. I appreciate you posting the solution too! Drive safe.

General George Patton Jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in