All of a sudden, '2005 6.0L Cranks but won't Start :( - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Al of a sudden, 2005 6.0L Cranks but won't Start :(

I haven't actually seen the repair order yet. Not sure what the STC fitting is. I hope they replaced the HPOP and added the bracket fix.

The clamp for the turbo is on order and truck will go back in for fix soon, meanwhile runnig with the windows partially open and putting up with the funny stares from people as I drive by "hissing" like an alley cat.

Tonight she sounds like a tornado/blizzard wind howlin' all in one.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I'll report if something new comes up regarding this issue.

Otherwise, I remain a lurker.

Cowdoc

'O5 F-250 C/C Lariat Fx4 6.0-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Re: Al of a sudden, 2005 6.0L Cranks but won't Start :(

Got hold of the repair slip- didn't notice anything on it about a STF fitting bracket. Took it into the dealer to give 'em he!! and they told me that now when the HPOP is replaced it includes the bracket fix. They did not tell me what the issue was at the HPOP, just replaced the whole thing...

I hope so, there is no way I will know unless it happens again.

BTW, repair would have cost over $850, but under warranty-$100.

I will be bringing truck back in Wednesday so they can install new "Y" fitting pipe and clamps to back of turbo. Hopefully no more whine.

Thanks for all the insight into this issue.

Cowdoc.

'O5 F-250 C/C Lariat Fx4 6.0-
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 AM

2006 6.0 powerstroke no start

was driving my truck home and it was really rough. turned on a road and normally if i step on it it would blow out all of the carbon. well this time it shut off. this happened in november. since then i have replaced ficm, icp sensor, ipr sensor, hpop, and fuel pump and none of it has worked. i am stumped.
can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadunn View Post
was driving my truck home and it was really rough. turned on a road and normally if i step on it it would blow out all of the carbon. well this time it shut off. this happened in november. since then i have replaced ficm, icp sensor, ipr sensor, hpop, and fuel pump and none of it has worked. i am stumped.
can anyone help?

It would be wise to start your own thread, you would get more help.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 AM

The STC fitting in my HPOP went about 2 years ago. It was a $1400-CAN repair at ford dealer as It wouldnt start when I was not in my home town. They quote out about 10 hrs of labour to perform all the work, so while they are in there get them to repair anything else that may be problematic
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadunn View Post
can anyone help?
did you start your own thread on this? did you find the problem. My 07 has done exactly what your you've described here. Just heard back from the local diesel shop and they have no clue what the deal is but all of the readings they took on their diagnostic tool tell them the truck should start. I have made the same repairs as you and still nothing. I know this is an old thread but I hope you can help.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:40 PM

get a smart phone app so you can get and post your data. We can help with MOST things, but these trucks are complicated and with no data all we can do is guess. That can get expensive.

Torque Pro or ForScan (I like ForScan because it reads codes the best of all I have found). Then get an OBDII ELM327 adapter (WiFi for i-phone and BlueTooth for Android. I like the BAFX brand. They work with most any app.

Total cost $40 or so. Without it you will replace more than you need to - can cost thousands.

In the meantime -

- Verify proper oil (both too low and too high can cause problems).
- Make sure fuel filters aren't clogged (drain the water from the WIF drain on the primary filter and see if junk comes out. Also, if the fuel filters have gone more than 10,000 miles, then change them.
- Then (with a helper), remove the secondary fuel filter and have someone turn on the key (no cranking necessary). The fuel filter bowl should fill QUICKLY!
- Re-assemble the fuel filter and then do the same with the oil. Remove the filter and have someone crank. - - The oil filter bowl should fill in 8-10 seconds.
- Inspect the air "filter-minder" to make sure the air filter isn't plugged.
- Make sure that the fuel inertia switch hasn't activated.
- Verify that your batteries and all the cables are healthy
- When you crank, make sure that you are getting over 150 rpm

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:23 AM

I had similar problems once. Just out of the blue wouldn't start. Cranked until batteries went dead, charged em up, and nothing. Oil pressure sending unit wouldn't let it start (one on the left behind oil filter) replaced the part. Haven't had a bit of problems since. Maybe? Maybe not?
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:53 AM

The oil pressure switch has nothing to do with starting. It goes to the dash gauge and that is it. PCM doesn't even see it.

Mark
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
get a smart phone app so you can get and post your data. We can help with MOST things, but these trucks are complicated and with no data all we can do is guess. That can get expensive.

Torque Pro or ForScan (I like ForScan because it reads codes the best of all I have found). Then get an OBDII ELM327 adapter (WiFi for i-phone and BlueTooth for Android. I like the BAFX brand. They work with most any app.

Total cost $40 or so. Without it you will replace more than you need to - can cost thousands.

In the meantime -

- Verify proper oil (both too low and too high can cause problems).
- Make sure fuel filters aren't clogged (drain the water from the WIF drain on the primary filter and see if junk comes out. Also, if the fuel filters have gone more than 10,000 miles, then change them.
- Then (with a helper), remove the secondary fuel filter and have someone turn on the key (no cranking necessary). The fuel filter bowl should fill QUICKLY!
- Re-assemble the fuel filter and then do the same with the oil. Remove the filter and have someone crank. - - The oil filter bowl should fill in 8-10 seconds.
- Inspect the air "filter-minder" to make sure the air filter isn't plugged.
- Make sure that the fuel inertia switch hasn't activated.
- Verify that your batteries and all the cables are healthy
- When you crank, make sure that you are getting over 150 rpm
Wish I had seen your post sooner but I'm kind of a rookie at this forum stuff. Previous to seeing your post I ended up buying a scangauge for $169. I also just read on forums and watched YouTube vidoes and spend a bunch of money I apparently didn't need to spend as per your post. Tested my patients to the max. Finally I towed it to the local Diesel shop. They tell me everything they can see says the truck should start. Tow it again to the Ford dealership and after running a ton of diagnostics they tell me it's the injectors.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:00 AM

Nothing wrong w/ a scangaugeII. You can watch up to 4 parameters at all times. Not as easy w/ a phone and a WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, injectors are something that the average owner can't test well. You need an IDS system (dealership stuff).

Go Pokes. I graduated in 1979 ....

Mark
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Nothing wrong w/ a scangaugeII. You can watch up to 4 parameters at all times. Not as easy w/ a phone and a WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, injectors are something that the average owner can't test well. You need an IDS system (dealership stuff).

Go Pokes. I graduated in 1979 ....
HA! Get out of here! What a small world! I graduated in 1990 and only left for one year and came back.

Got the truck back yesterday. It was way more money than I wanted to put into that thing but it's good to have it back. Need to avoid the repair shop for awhile though! Good to hear about the Scangauge II. I'm probably going to keep that thing active in the truck at all times. I may even do the App you are talking about as well. Seems very handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in