Base oil pressure problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Base oil pressure problem

I have a 2004 6.0 that I had a long block built for and I cant get base oil pressure. If you crank it without starting it it will build over 70psi of pressure if you start it it wont built any pressure at all. I am at a loss and everyone I have talked to is also any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Sounds to me like a possible issue with the high pressure oil. Maybe the pressed in ball bearing on the HPOP has come out. That will create a leak on the suction side of the HPOP which can pull down the low pressure oil pressure.

Which 04 do you have, early or late (ie where is the ICP sensor located on your engine)?

If you do an air pressure test on the high pressure oil system, it might point you to where the problem is.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 04-08-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

I just replaced the hpop and it has a threaded plug instead of ball like the one that was on it. It's a later 04 that has the early style round pump but icp sensor in the valve cover. I found some silicone in the oil cooler from the shop that built it they had used silicone one the oil filter housing base and got carried away with it and the excess made it's way into the cooler so I just replaced it with a OEM one hoping that would fix my problem after not finding anything anywhere else. At an idle the ipr is 48% and the high pressure is 1690.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Then IMO you need to check for an installation issue w/ the o-ring below the newly installed HPOP.

It can get pinched or, many people put the wrong one from the kit in that location.

What color o-ring was installed under the HPOP?

Also, how are you measuring the oil pressure?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 04-08-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 PM

So, silicone on the oil filter base and an oil galley plug left out (from your post on one of the other forums you are posting in).

I wouldn't be taking anything back to that shop.

Mark
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I used the yellow o ring under it. I'm using a mechanical gauge in the oil pressure switch port near the oil filter. Didnt have time to work on it today I will air test it tomorrow. Yea the silicone was definitely either a problem or about to be one but I still have something not right. Leaning towards high pressure side. Ipr was 48% and icp 1690 at an idle which is high.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:35 PM

Hard to imagine a high pressure side leak causing zero pressure in the low pressure oil. It would have to be a mighty big leak. I don't think even a failed open IPR valve would do that; and since you are getting an ICP pressure that should be (or is) sufficient to start, it seems doubly unlikely. Still, testing doesn't cost anything.

I would also verify that the oil filter housing drain valve isn't stuck open.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in