Can an OBD Adapter cause problem with dash cluster gauges? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Can an OBD Adapter cause problem with dash cluster gauges?

I’ve been having an intermittent issue with the dash cluster gauges on my 05’ F250 shutting off a few seconds after I start the truck (might happen a couple of times a month). The Tach, Speedo, and water temp gauges die….but the oil pressure, fuel, trans temp, and boost gauge keep working. I also get the wrench and check engine lights as soon as the gauges die. I will also get a TBC fault at the same time.

Usually shutting the truck off and restarting it fixed the issue. The gauges always work for 2-3 seconds after I start the truck…..then after a few seconds, they die and I get the fault.
I had it happen again to me this weekend, and while the truck was idling, the gauges were dead, and I was getting the faults….I tried using my Torque PRO app to scan for codes. Well, the cheap $10 ELM327 OBD Bluetooth Adapter (that I always leave plugged into the OBD connector on the truck) would not hook up to my phone for some reason…..so I unplugged it to see what was going on.

As soon as I unplugged the OBD adapter, I heard a beep from under the dash…….the faults on the cluster all cleared, the gauges all sprang back to life. Even after plugging the adapter back in, everything is fine.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had an issue like that. Is it possible for an OBD adapter to cause problems like that with the dash cluster and gauges?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Could be. I've seen some weird stuff.
Tpms issues, key fob issues, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Could be. I've seen some weird stuff.
Tpms issues, key fob issues, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I did a little research online, and it sounds like lots of the chevy guys with newer Vette's and Camaros who are using the Torque App with the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD adapters have had strange issues also....gauges going haywire, false engine codes, and faults when they have the bluetooth adapter plugged in.....but when they unplug them, the problems go away. The OBD port pretty much gives you full access to everything in the PCM, so I can see how it could cause issues if the OBD adapter you have plugged into it is doing some funky stuff.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I’m 110% sure that the ELM327 OBD Bluetooth Adapter is what’s causing the intermittent issues with my gauge cluster.

I haven’t used it for the last few weeks……and then this weekend when I did some towing, I decided to use the Torque PRO app on my phone to keep an eye on things. I had no problems with it at all until later in the day when I stopped at a gas station to fuel up. I left the adapter plugged in while the truck was off, and then after I started the truck up and started to pull out of the gas station…..the gauges went dead, and I got the check engine light on the dash, and TBC fault.
As I was driving down the road I reached down, and as soon as I unplugged the OBD adapter, the gauges instantly came back on….the check engine light turned off, and the TBC fault display turned off….and everything went back to normal.

There is no doubt in my mind now that the OBD Bluetooth adapter is causing my issues.

Tons of people use this same setup on their trucks…I wonder why mine would be having such as issue with it? I guess I can try a different OBD adapter and see if that fixes the issue.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:10 PM

My Photos: (2)
Even Auto Enginuity can cause similar issues. I pulled into a truck stop just out side of Chicago a few months back and decided to plug the laptop with AE in and see if the trans temp the pillar gauge was reading was accurate because it was showing to be very warm. The battery in the laptop was almost dead so I plugged it into the 1500W inverter (I knew better but forgot, AE warns that this will cause issues, the PC can't share the same ground as the vehicle it is testing). All of a sudden the dash lit up, AE filled up with codes and the truck would not turn over.

Panicked at this point, I jumped out, opened the hood and tried rolling it over with the wire on the PS fender well, it did. By the time I walked back around and sat in the truck, I knew what I had done. I unplugged from the inverter, cleared the codes and started the truck. Talk about a stressful 15min, I had 35' of trailer behind me and a dead truck a long way from home.

I would imagine any OBD connection is capable of cause issues if the software is not written really well. Since the switch over to ELD devices in the commercial trucks which requires a similar adapter to be plugged into the OBD, many have complained about dead or strange acting trucks.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I’ve been having an intermittent issue with the dash cluster gauges on my 05’ F250 shutting off a few seconds after I start the truck (might happen a couple of times a month). The Tach, Speedo, and water temp gauges die….but the oil pressure, fuel, trans temp, and boost gauge keep working. I also get the wrench and check engine lights as soon as the gauges die. I will also get a TBC fault at the same time.

Usually shutting the truck off and restarting it fixed the issue. The gauges always work for 2-3 seconds after I start the truck…..then after a few seconds, they die and I get the fault.
I had it happen again to me this weekend, and while the truck was idling, the gauges were dead, and I was getting the faults….I tried using my Torque PRO app to scan for codes. Well, the cheap $10 ELM327 OBD Bluetooth Adapter (that I always leave plugged into the OBD connector on the truck) would not hook up to my phone for some reason…..so I unplugged it to see what was going on.

As soon as I unplugged the OBD adapter, I heard a beep from under the dash…….the faults on the cluster all cleared, the gauges all sprang back to life. Even after plugging the adapter back in, everything is fine.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had an issue like that. Is it possible for an OBD adapter to cause problems like that with the dash cluster and gauges?
I have a Lauch CR3001 seems works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in