Check Gauges/Tow Haul lights flashing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check Gauges/Tow Haul lights flashing

I have a 2004 F250 6.0 L , the Check Gauges light and Tow Haul light come on and flash when I start up cold, trans temp gauge works normal, then when I start driving the transmission operates in the safe mode, shifts very erratic, till things warm up, then everything operates normal. I changed out the TFT sensor, both trans filters and trans fluid, without any effect to the way things were operating. then I went to a friends shop put the truck on a lift and went through all the wiring harness looking for anything out of normal, chaffing, connectors loose, anything obvious, nothing found, then took truck to a transmission shop to see what they could find, they went through the wiring, checked the sensor operation, solenoid operation, voltage readings, 5v was good, everything was pointing to a PCM problem, possible Vref loss in the PCM, ordered a PCM from a company in NC, it was promised for 5 business days, 21 days later it showed up, installed per their procedure, truck when in drive was in 4th gear only no shift and tow haul light was flashing, I'm thinking they had programed it wrong, returned it to them for a refund and went elsewhere. Took my PCM to a shop that specializes in PCM repair, they have it on their bench now for evaluation, in the mean time I'm trying to find other possibilities but I am at my wits end, looking for help or advice. Also I did check and clean the battery ground to frame connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:42 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
The wiring harness inside the transmission has had problems like this.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I had the wire harness inside the tranny checked plus I did a full visual on the harness inside and out when I replaced the TFT sensor, also I got my PCM back from the repair shop, they ran a full diagnostics on the bench without finding any problems, they suggested flashing the PCM at a locksmith and having them reprogram, as they can do this because of being able to reprogram for remotes. None of the locksmiths around me have this capability, anything else I can try before I have to take it to a dealer to see what they can find?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
I've never known a locksmith that can flash a PCM. A good locksmith can access the PCM to program new keys, but that is a long way and a lot of money for equipment away from being able to flash a PCM.

A full visual check of a harness will sometimes find the most obvious problems. It will NEVER find the harder to find problems. You need a volt/ohm meter and some electrical diagnosis to really find the problem.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM

I had THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.... drove me nuts. Researched transmission problems and FICM, batteries, ICP, couldn't figure it out. I can't guarantee thus us the fix but it was for me. I followed the wire harness that plugs into the fan clutch. It was terribly designed and the fan can cut the wires very easily. Mine were cut and arcing. As a test I pulled back the plastic harness cover and put electrical tape around each wire individually to keep them from arching to each other. Fired it up and it fixed my problem. Then had to buy a new pigtail for the fan. It's worth a shot.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 AM

My Photos: (5)
Late to the party and hate to resurrect an old thread but I had the same problem develop yesterday all of a sudden. Tow Haul light flashing and stuck in Tow Haul mode.

How many times does someone join a site to post their problem and never returns to post the outcome ? (rhetorical question) The OP didn't even last a week here.

Anyway, thanks to NightcrawlerF350 for his response and Mark too on this thread.

Yesterday when the problem developed for me I disconnected the grounds on the batteries in my driveway. Not happy to have found a mice nest behind the right side battery and one under the turbo. So I guess its a strong possibility the rotten vermin may have chewed wires.

Upon connecting the batteries about 20 minutes later the Tow Haul light extinguished and it dropped out of Tow Haul mode. Took it for a 2 mile test ride and all was well for now.

If I find a cause I will post it here. In the mean time I will take Nightcrawler's advice and check the wiring near the fan. Might take a couple of days as we've got a bit of a storm approaching right now.

Aside from this issue the truck so far has served me well with about 135,000 miles on it which isn't a lot for a 14 y/o truck.

6.0L, F-250 XLT, Torqueshift, S/C, L/B, FX4, 3.73

Truck Build Date: 02/05/05 Kentucky
Engine Build Date: 02/03/05 Indianapolis

Gone but not forgotten - '99 7.3L F-250 XLT S/C, L/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in