Do Injectors age-out? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do Injectors age-out?

I've got to open up the passenger side and install a new #7 injector. I replaced #4 not long ago. My Excursion has 165K on the original injectors so I'm wondering of I should just replace the other 6 as well. Is there a shelf life on Injectors?

I know most people are reluctant to change all 8 at one time due to the cost. I may have a fuel pressure issue and will resolve that before I drive the truck on the new injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:16 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes. Your truck is continually monitoring you for phrases like, “ I got a raise” or, “we have money left over this month.” It will respond appropriately. Seriously though, they wear approximately the same so it makes sense to replace them as a group. The exception would be a non wear related catastrophic failure. Kind of like how you buy tires as a set unless you have a blowout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dje5717 and oilcan1001 like this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Lol - nice post RT! Got a good chuckle out of it!

I took his post to mean if he bought the injectors now, but didn't install them for awhile (ie the shelf life question).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 07:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Yes. Your truck is continually monitoring you for phrases like, “ I got a raise” or, “we have money left over this month.” It will respond appropriately.
Let your truck know that this type of behavior will not be tolerated by purchasing a new truck and parking it next to it. That note comes before hobby truck repairs.

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson edition:
Bullet proofed, usual mods.

2017 F-350 DRW Lariat Ultimate:
Stock pending warranty.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. By shelf life I didn't mean how long they last in the box/uninstalled, I meant life expectancy in the truck. I probably could have made that more clear.

My main question was is 165K miles considered a lot on an original set or do people often get more miles on them?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:19 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_HARLEY_F250 View Post
Let your truck know that this type of behavior will not be tolerated by purchasing a new truck and parking it next to it. That note comes before hobby truck repairs.
Wow - you're a lot braver than I am. That would be like bringing home a new girlfriend to meet your wife. I can hear her now - "Ow - my transmission hurts..."
stumpman likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

I saw a video where a guy, as a precaution, replaced the injector hold down clamp/bolts because he was afraid that they had been over-torqued. He said that the bolts are no good after that has happened.

Is that true? The reason I ask is that they seemed a little tighter than 26 ft/lbs when I just removed all 4 from the passenger side. If they were over-torqued then it was my fault but I thought I was careful when I removed, cleaned and re-installed my original injectors a few months ago.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:28 PM

Some people theorize that the head cracking that we occasionally see could be from over torquing of the injector hold down clamps. I am not sure I believe that to be the only reason because we normally see the cracking on the "middle 4" locations (around 3,5 and 1,4 cylinders). Anyway, if it is only "mildly" over-torqued, I wouldn't worry about getting new clamps and bolts.

It is more important to thoroughly clean out the bolt holes and to use a calibrated torque wrench IMO.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 10-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Some people theorize that the head cracking that we occasionally see could be from over torquing of the injector hold down clamps. I am not sure I believe that to be the only reason because we normally see the cracking on the "middle 4" locations (around 3,5 and 1,4 cylinders). Anyway, if it is only "mildly" over-torqued, I wouldn't worry about getting new clamps and bolts.

It is more important to thoroughly clean out the bolt holes and to use a calibrated torque wrench IMO.
Roger that. I'm assuming compressed air is best to blow out any oil in the bolt holes. Also, a little oil drained into the injector cups so I'm hoping I can also use compressed air to blow that clean as well.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:31 PM

I used Brakecleen followed by compressed air. Careful of your eyes when doing it.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM

I got 175,000 out of my first set. 150k to 200k seems to be their average lifespan.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 06. Is the Brakeclean intended to clean up the entire rocker arm box housing area or just to thin out the oil to make it easier to blow out of the injector cup/sleeves and bolt holes?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Cleaning Out the hold down bolt hole....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:25 PM

Did you purge out/expel all of the oil that leaked in (from the HPO rail) to the cylinder while the injector was out?
Good way to bend/break a lower end part, if you didn't...

~Al

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico5 View Post
Did you purge out/expel all of the oil that leaked in (from the HPO rail) to the cylinder while the injector was out?
Good way to bend/break a lower end part, if you didn't...

~Al
Not sure I understand your question. When the oil rail is removed, the injectors are still in place so the oil that drains out couldn't (initially) find its way into the injector sleeves and injector hold down bolt holes. I'm sure that a little oil could and does drain into those cavities once those parts (injectors and hold down bolts) are removed. I know this because I can see a little oil in the bottom of the sleeves.

I've never had the heads out and have never had the opportunity to inspect another 6.0 head up close but don't they have drain back channels so that oil can drain back down into the motor? I remember seeing other posts from guys who had dropped bolts or sockets down that channel and had to get them out.

Are you saying that a lot of oil normally finds its way into the sleeve and then into the cylinder and it needs to be expelled out somehow.

Sorry. I appreciate your comment but want to make sure I understand what your saying exactly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in