FICM no sync - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM no sync

I purchased a truck that had a crank no start issue after a oil change. Swapped out oil filters and it ran. I've put around 2000 miles on the truck and now im back to the same issue.

A couple of days ago i started it up and let it warm up a little bit. I soon noticed that the truck would seam like it looses throttle position. Steady pedal it would feel like i let off the gas then it would kick back in. Fuel level was a little low so i put some fuel in it and Diesel 911. After it sat overnight i started it and everything was perfectly normal

Yesterday After work I made a right hand turn and it stalled. Took some cranking but it fired up then died again. I got it fired back up and couldn't let it idle or it would stall so I double footed it back to the dealer where i work and let it sit overnight. Pulled it in and checked to make sure i was getting low oil pressure. It is.

I checked for obvious fuel filters which i replaced today. Oil change is fresh and level is good. Now heres for the good part.

I hooked the IDS up to it.

FICM voltage ranges between 47.50-48
ICP is at around 1,491 psi cranking
Injector click test found i have a weak #4 and #5 injector. Which i could already tell.

My laundry list of DTC's
P0046
P0272
P0281
P0336
P0671
P0677
P115A
P2269
P2285
P2614

Noticed i don't have Crank or Cam Sync again. Same code as last time it had this issue.

But also noticed that the FICM is not in sync.

Im not a diesel tech yet (Still in training) and this issue even left out main diesel guy scratching his head the first time the previous owner brought it in for the same issue and now.

I haven't checked Fuel pressure with the gauge.

What you might need to know is i do have a small oil leak at the HPOP cover. It hasn't gotten any bigger since the last time it wouldn't start.

Not sure where to start. Our diesel guy said after all the things he looked at hes thinking it might be something to do with the electrical or PCM. Im coming in tomorrow morning to really get a look at things but i really have no idea where to start.

Im at a Ford dealer and i have many testing options available to me. Please someone point me in the right direction!!! Thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 PM

If you are getting cam and crank sync but no sync between pcm and FICM this is useually a wireing problem. Corrosion improperly seated connector; broken wire; backed out wire etc. You have to have both sync to be able to fire. Also possibly a bad pcm.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 06:16 PM
OT

My Photos: (8)
Mike..just passing on 6.0L FICM (pdf) Old diag. info. using WDS. Maybe IDS can be used same way, I don't know?

03 F250 XLT SC/SB 4X4 6L (stock) TqS. SRW 3.73's BD:02/11/03. 01 TL 23' SGII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

I will check out the PDF when I get to work. I noticed a small mouse nest by the pump cover before I left last night.

Also dannyboy the crank and cam are not in sync. We have both came to the conclusion that since before I owned the truck and it had this crank/cam no sync code but yet I still got it to run in my back yard blind... We think this is not an issue..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Took a look at the pdf on my phone. Looks like that's going to be very helpful!! Thanks a million. Also the wds and the ids appear to be the same program
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 AM

Sorry I missread your post. Without cam and crank sync I haven't a clue how your getting that thing to start at all, that actually shouldn't even be possible.

Cam and crank sensors tell the pcm what position the pistons are in so it knows when #1 is in position to fire the injectors and in which order and for how long.

The wds is the earlier version of FORDS own test tool, IDS just has more functionality their screens look the same cause they are based on the same general platform. Bi-directional communication was one of the biggest improvements.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

No biggy dannyboy. You guys will never believe what im about to tell you.

Thanks again for the PDF File! That helped me figure out my problem! Truck is back running like a champ.

Well I don't know if I mentioned this in my first post or not but.. I bought the truck not running. Stopped running after the previous owner changed the oil. They had it towed to the dealer (Which im now working as a tech at) I wasn't there at the time the diesel mechanic first tore into it..

Well after they scratched their heads on why it wouldn't fire I had the my friend (Previous owner of the truck) tow it to my house to let me mess with it. I put a new oil filter in it after I found out they had a wicks cap and a motorcraft filter in it and It didn't fully depress the valve on the bottom of the canister. It wasn't getting low oil pressure. I HAD TO BOLT THE POWERSTEERING PUMP AND PUT THE BELT BACK ON BECAUSE THE TECH PUT A NEW CAM SENSOR IN IT <-This is key

Since then I purchased the truck. Ran great for well over 2k miles and then it started acting up.

After I followed the IDS and that PDF file to figure out the FICM had no sync and the CAM fault. I started chasing wires checking for breaks in the wires or corrosion. I made my way down to the cam sensor its self to find.........................

THEY NEVER PUT THE BOLT FOR THE CAM SENSOR BACK IN AND IT CAME OUT OF THE BLOCK!!!

I cleaned everything up and put a new bolt in it and fired right up. I absolutely cannot wait to get to work tomorrow to tell them what I found haha!

Thanks everyone for the help! I am one happy guy right now!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 12:28 PM

LOL That explains a lot. Short circuit between engine and wrench.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 01:35 PM
OT

My Photos: (8)
OK. Yeah, rub it in alittle. lol! Especially if it was d.tec. scratching head why eng. wouldn't start ?

03 F250 XLT SC/SB 4X4 6L (stock) TqS. SRW 3.73's BD:02/11/03. 01 TL 23' SGII
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM

ooops glad you found it
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Actually not rubbing anything in we all ahve a DDUUUUGHGHHH moment now and then.
Because I was was sitting here scratchin my head with one hand and me arse with the other and saying to myself " there is no way in hell this thing can be starting without sync" what can possibly be happening. LOL Just like his tech was doing.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:19 PM

no start no ficm sync

i have same problem
have 2007 f-350 blown motor injectors went bad melted piston with bad head gasket
bought a late 2004 6.0
installed the following
new arp studs
black diamond gaskets
egr delete
updated stand pipes
dummy plus
blue spring
banjo bolts
new starter
new alternator
new batteries
new icp
new ipr
new turbo
new wire harness
new cam and crank sensor
new ficm new pcm
sct programer
new filters
new oil

have no ficm sync

new hpop

have low and high oil pressure
have correct ficm votage

i know ether is bad but will start on ether
but wont sync to fire injectors

did i leave anything out?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to ritschner
Has the new FICM been programmed, some are not? .If so make sure none of the pins on the FICM are bent(it happens). Double check all connections.

White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab elbow, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, DCPower 185a alternator, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 AM

Can you repost the PDF I'm having the exact same problem but for some reason I can't open this PDF the link maybe broke
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:09 AM

David - do you have cam/crank sync, but no FICM sync, or neither?

I tried to post the file (at least the one I think it is) and it is too large to post on this forum.

I can email it to you if you want to PM me an email address.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in