FICM Soldered / Cold Start issue resolved - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM Soldered / Cold Start issue resolved

This is my first post on this site, but I must say I would be out mucho cash if it weren't for all of the great information provided here.

I was having cold start problems in early December and they got progressivly worse. I purchased a block heater cord and installed which helped for a short time. Batteries were turning over slower, so I replaced them as well. However this past Saturday I went out to start the truck and it would just turn over and never really try to start, if it did it would only run for a couple of seconds and die. Even when it warmed to to 50 degrees it wouldn't start. I finally managed to get it started with Starting Fluid ( I know... bad) and when it warmed up it ran normally. When it was warm it would start normally.

I try to do things myself as often as I can, and my technical abilities allow, so I decided to to the FICM soldering posted on this site. I am no solderer, and if you saw the FICM once complete you would know what I mean, but I managed to get it soldered without bridging and circuits. I placed the FICM back on the truck last night and it started up like it was brand new. I was so happy I couldn't believe it.

Now the real test was this morning. Didn't plugin the block heater last night and it got down to about 33'. Went outside this morning, let the GP's cycle once and it started right up. Woo Hoo!!! Even Happier now.

I just want to thank all of you guys that provide such useful information and take the time to document it for the rest of us. It saved me a trip to the dealership on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm very glad that the repair fixed your problem. It also makes me wonder if the rest of the people that had to have their FICM replaced at a dealer after having them tested bad could have been repaired also, either by the dealer or owners. I only hope your repair lasts for a long time. Let us know if it continues to start well.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 AM

My Photos: (16)
Dealer mechanics can't resolder the connections for some many reasons even if they were good at soldering themselves.

I wonder how many fixes might be just due to disconnecting and reconnecting the FICM. We have no information if making a better contact would help issues.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos Google - TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM

My Photos: (3)
wow not only is the 6.0 problematic we also have to deal with ficm issues wires shaffing wires laying on bolts wearing into then shorting something out .i hope ford engineers read this site and try to prevent newer trucks from these problems
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMTRVT View Post
I wonder how many fixes might be just due to disconnecting and reconnecting the FICM. We have no information if making a better contact would help issues.

Before completely removing the FICM I actually tried the unplug/plug and experienced the same issue. None of the wires are chafed and all looked to be in good condition. Unfortunately the Microsoft fix didn't work here (reboot ;-))

I think placing this module on top of the engine was a design flaw. With all of the heat and vibration it's subject to it's no wonder it fails so frequently. The same could be said for the GPCM, bad placement.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 PM

My Photos: (16)
Question answered, good to know.

There are many commercial diesel truck engines that have their electronics up on the motor, although some use the recirculating fluids to help cool them.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos Google - TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
OT

My Photos: (8)
Also ficm potential problem...tuner at PHP said (info on site) fmc said numerous ficm failures were linked to the inductive flash for stiction (not orig. f.i. buzz after KO) & an updated version will available.

Point is..for those with the orig. inductive flash & sometime later ficm died, maybe thats one reason why? Mine still has the 1st orig. flash (stiction) with f.i. buzz after shutdown. No real start issue, just came along with other updates I got 11/06. I havent checked out v. on ficm so far.

03 F250 XLT SC/SB 4X4 6L (stock) TqS. SRW 3.73's BD:02/11/03. 01 TL 23' SGII
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 AM

Question for your FICM issue. Were you getting a P0611 code during the cold start issue? Reason I ask... I'm getting the P0611 FICM PERF code, but no symptoms. I'm a little reluctant to pull the module out and re-solder w/out having any issues. After you fixed it, did the code go away?

Any advice would be great guys!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

P0611 is the code that is usually associated with a failed or failing FICM. If I were you, I would find out what kind of voltage it is putting out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President and Webmaster
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Sure enough... I took the FICM out, and found a bad resistor. it says DALE R0075 on it. The center of it is burnt almost straight through. Is this something I can replace?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspeed1 View Post
Question for your FICM issue. Were you getting a P0611 code during the cold start issue? Reason I ask... I'm getting the P0611 FICM PERF code, but no symptoms. I'm a little reluctant to pull the module out and re-solder w/out having any issues. After you fixed it, did the code go away?

Any advice would be great guys!!
I received no codes and when I tested the voltage on the FICM is was 48.2 with the key on, but as soon as I hit the started the voltage dropped significantly.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 PM

Mine is going to the shop today for the same issues, its still under warrenty though.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM

04 6.0 in Montana, early this winter she would not start below 40 degrees. I didnt have the cash to fix it so I let her sit. Sounded like the glow plugs were not buzzing as usual, I was saving up to replace the GP controller. I read the post on FICM soldering and thought I would give it a try before tearing into the GP system. Wish I took a voltage reading first but once I took out the air intake and coolant tank I kept going. I re-soldered the the places indicated on the forum and the four resistors (tiny) on the front of the card. Put it all back together and POW 48v. I now hear the GP's buzzing again (strange ?). Temps here have been in the teens and she fires up great. Thanks to all who contributed......
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 AM

My Photos: (6)
Anybody got a link to the FICM test and fix procedure writeup...? I'm searching bit can't seem to find it yet...

** SMD '04 F250 6.0 CC King Ranch, '14 F350 6.7 Lariat CC **
Original engine grenaded @ 31,000 miles..! Replacement engine DIY bulletproofed, Gen 4 Injectors, 58V FICM, Blue Spring, IPR Remote Oil Cooler/Coolant Filter, ARP studs, DC Power 270 Amp Alt, BD billet H2O pump, CCV catch can, MBRP Duals, 2 blown Turbos currently running a Garrett, DR Edge 8.5" hybrid lift w/ 5" rear leafs, 37x13.5x17 Swamper M16's, Draw-Tite portable winch mount, WARN xD9000i, WARN Pocket Flares w/ Durabak, 4.56's w/ F&R ARB's, Dynatrac Dana 60 35 spline stubs, Powerslot Cryos/Hawk LTS, Yukon Hardcore 35 spline hubs, 2" wheel spacers,

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedunham View Post
Anybody got a link to the FICM test and fix procedure writeup...? I'm searching bit can't seem to find it yet...
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/..._procedure.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in