Front axle tools required - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front axle tools required

Hello friends, unfortunately I can't get the tools for the inner front axle shaft seals (vacuum hubs) here in Germany. They have the ORC numbers 6695 (older models) and 6697 (newer models).
Has anyone already made these tools themselves and has the right dimensions? I have all the machines for metalworking at my disposal. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:14 AM

https://torqueking.com/product/4644/...a-60-super-60/

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I probably misspoke. I mean these tools from minute 0:50min.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:21 PM

Hadn't seen that video before. He did a good job with it, thanks Hartwig!

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the seals are supposed to be used at a certain depth, I suppose the tools are for that.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:32 PM

They have to go in evenly AND at a specific depth.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks, then I will buy it (old and newer version)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
You can make a tool easily from a 12" long piece of 1-1/4" pipe and a floor flange and cap. I've used that a number of times to put the large inner knuckle seal on the stub shaft. Works like a charm. You do have to reduce the outside diameter of the flange a bit so it fits within the stationary outer part of the seal. As far as using the OEM special tool to seat the axle and seal in the knuckle, I've never found that necessary. The bearing/hub assembly takes care of getting the axle in the right depth.
For you in Germany, that would be 32mm nominal Schedule 40 pipe.
Actually, it may be 1-1/2" (40mm) pipe. Someone here can confirm which. Member DENNY has the tool in question that we've both used.
Or you can measure the diameter of the axle shaft - if it's less than 1.38 inches (35mm) then it's 1-1/4" (32mm) pipe.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think it is better for the seal to be set to the right depth with the right tool. It could be, that the seal will be damaged if it is pushed to the right depth by the axle shaft??

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:31 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwig View Post
I think it is better for the seal to be set to the right depth with the right tool. It could be, that the seal will be damaged if it is pushed to the right depth by the axle shaft??
My buddy and I have never had an issue with using the home-built tool and just putting the axle and seal in by hand, followed by the hub/bearing unit. The outer (stationary) portion of the hub/bearing unit contacts the stationary part of the seal that goes into the knuckle.
If you want to spend the $$ on the special tool, that's your choice, but I doubt it would cause you a problem if you used the home-built tool.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:56 AM

My Photos: (16)
+1 on the home-built tool.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos Google - TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 AM

My Photos: (8)
Do as Kevin suggests, the tool I believe is 1 1/4 inch size I am out of state so cannot check at this time. It will seat just fine once assembled.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks guys. How deep must the seal sit inside? Or does this press down to the right depth when inserting the axle shaft into the knuckle?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:46 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Hartwig - got your PM. Looks like you have the answers to your questions here but... The seal tool is important because it will install the seal onto the axle shaft WITHOUT DAMAGING it. The seal seats on a machined edge but when you install the shaft back into the axle housing the seal will need to be lightly pressed in to a specific depth also to prevent damage to the seal. The most common symptom caused by damage to these seals is vacuum leaks that prevent the automatic hubs from working. The seal tool performs both procedures.

Search for the proper tool number on Amazon as there are some inexpensive knock-off's available for as little as $50 USD

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll do that, thank you.
The problem is often that they don't ship to Germany.
But I am a mechanic who likes to work 100%, even if that is sometimes not necessary.
My vehicles often drive to remote corners of the world, where everything has to work 100%. Therefore I am very accurate in repair and maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in