Fuel Pump / Replace just Pump or Entire HFCM - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump / Replace just Pump or Entire HFCM

I am having fuel issues in my 2003 Excursion. All symptoms indicate a weak fuel pump. Power is intermittent, comes and goes hot or cold. My question is, "Is there a reason one would replace the entire HFCM assembly vs just replacing the internal Fuel Pump or is there any difference.

I understood that the HFCM housing was basically just a container to house the Fuel pump and filter and allow connection points for the fuel lines with the additional sensor for detecting water in the fuel. Otherwise, there is not any electrical components in the HFCM housing that affect the operation of the actual fuel pump or dictate the pressure that the fuel pump produces.

I need to get my parts ordered today so that they will be here before the weekend. Until then, the truck is parked as to not risk injector damage or being stranded, so quick feedback is appreciated.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 Ford Excursion Limited
4X4, 6.0, 1/2004 Build date
Solid Black, Secret Service Look alike
Stock engine w/ EGR Delete
4" turbo back exhaust w/ Deleted Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 Ford F-250 King Ranch
4x4, 6.0, 2/04 Build Date
Chestnut Brown Metallic
Stock engine with EGR Deleted & ARP Head Studs

SCT Livewire TS from Innovative Diesel

2003 Ford Excursion Limited (Totaled 5/1/2015)
4X4, 6.0, 2/2003 Build date
Bone stock at this point
Very few issues over its life...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 AM

The first thing you should do is measure your fuel pressure and upgrade the pressure relief spring to the latest version (also known as the "blue" spring). The Ford dealer should have a special bypass fuel pressure tester that bypasses the same amount of fuel as used at full power back to the fuel tank, and is the only way to properly test the fuel pump and pressure regulator. You want to see around 60 psi at idle, and at least 55 psi at full power. If you haven't done those two things, then you are just guessing as to the health of the HFCM. On an '03, I would personally change the HFCM to the latest spec. version, it's old enough.

Brian

Last edited by MC5C; 12-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Brian, I was not asking your opinion as to if my pump is weak, I know that it is. BTW, the fuel pressure spring has been upgraded as well. I am asking for reasons to replace the HFCM housing as well as the pump vs replacing just the pump. Unless I am missing something, there is nothing mechanical in the HFCM housing itself. There is a Water sensor in the HFCM, but nothing that actually drived the fuel pump and no electrical component that can cause the fuel pump to fail in the HFCM.

Why does it need to be replaced?

Eric

Chestnut Brown Metallic

Bone stock at this point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM

My Photos: (10)
If you purchase the entire unit, it is the New pump, Housing with drain plug and new filter in one box. The new one no longer has a fuel heater.

Nothing to take appart or worry about orings just unbolt the old and bolt on the new and connect fuel lines and wire harness

Paul H
OWNER

2004 Ford F350 6.0L Dualie 273.000 miles with Edge Insight, Early Build 8/03 with 03 engine 20 mpg running empty EGR delete running ELC all stock

1996 Ford F350 7.3L Dualie 343,000 Tony Wildman custom burn,5 inch stacks, good ole girl(in Avatar)

1995 Ford F250 7.3L Regular Cab 255,000 miles Sled Puller
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey Paul. We have talked before. Been a while. Still curious, other than maybe a simpler R&R procedure, what is the advantage or necessity of replacing the HFCM hosing. Seems to me that if there is a mechanical benefit and it costs more, then just replacing the inner pump would be the way to go.

Eric

Chestnut Brown Metallic

Bone stock at this point
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM

I don't know about where your at but down here they will not sell you just the pump.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM

My Photos: (16)
It's actually easier to replace the pump rather then the entire unit. Three bolts, one connector and one O-Ring.

From the original supplier of the HFCM:

http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...mp_Kits%29.pdf

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FQyk4Aod4R4AVQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racor-Fuel-T...item35c1a65698

RockAuto:

AIRTEX Part # E2340 Electric Fuel Pump
Frame Mounted Pump Only
$158.79

Or any Parker supplier

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos Google - TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.

Last edited by FMTRVT; 12-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Nice post Jack!

Another part number for this pump is HFP964 (Delphi).

http://oregonfuelinjection.com/index.php?pid=12

http://www.finditparts.com/t/4236/ma.../delphi-hfp964

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 12-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks Mark. While I haven't been around much, Jersey Shore what it is, I try to help where I can.

I think if someone wants to spend the money for one of each that the Airtex/Wells pump is a private labeled Racor unit as typically done in the aftermarket with specialty items rather then a China knockoff. I could be wrong but we won't know until they are compared hand in hand. Or someone call Airtex and ask if it's made in the USA.

Jack

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.

Last edited by FMTRVT; 12-10-2012 at 07:09 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I still have not heard any reasoning for replacing the HFCM housing. Anyway got anything else???

Eric

Chestnut Brown Metallic

Bone stock at this point
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 PM

The WIF sensors also go bad if you have a lot of water in your fuel and you don't drain it out of the plug routinely.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 12-11-2012 at 06:08 AM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM

Sensor 6C3Z-9C264-A ~$23

If you have a lot of crud in there, HFCM O-Ring 3C3Z-9A343-A ~$12 because when you remove the O-Ring it swells. If you can leave it in the sun for some time it shrinks back down once the diesel dries out.

By this point you are removing the fuel lines so it's almost as much work as replacing the entire HFCM.

Jack

Last edited by FMTRVT; 12-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgang View Post
I still have not heard any reasoning for replacing the HFCM housing. Anyway got anything else???
$$$$$$$ Everyone is side stepping. If you are ordering from Ford $600 + - as opposed to $158.00 at least the dealers around here. No other reason.

I mean you can get just about any part aftermarket.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Racor Fuel Pump ordered yesterday. Hope it arrives by Friday. Not changing the HFCM as I see no need to, just the internal pump.

Eric

Chestnut Brown Metallic

Bone stock at this point
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM

i have 04 excursion 6.0 turbo diesel. i am replacing pump and housing. the space between the driveshaft and rail is to small to get the housing out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in