ICP Issue? IPR Issue? Other? Need help troublshooting. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question ICP Issue? IPR Issue? Other? Need help troublshooting.

I recently towed my camper up to the Great Lakes with the family (15hr road trip). No issues with the truck at all, ran like a top. A few days before we were getting ready to head back home I was driving the truck around town, and when I let off the gas and came to a stock light I noticed that the truck seemed to want to idle a little higher than it should....I took off from the light, and when I slowed down for the next light.....the truck started to idle super rough...chug, chug, chug, chug. It reminded me of when I had a wiring issue with my ICP sensor several years ago.

I didn't have my monitor going at the time, but when I got back to the camp site I scanned the truck....no codes. I drove the truck around for several more days....no issues, everything way fine. Very odd.

So we hooked up the camper and started to head home last weekend...while driving through town, I slowed down to make a turn....and I get the rough chug, chug, chug idle again...crap! My Torque PRO app showed the IPR rate jumping around 25-35% .....usually at idle it holds steady at 22.8%.

So I get back on the gas.....the motor smooths out, and runs great. 14 hours...all the way home....900 miles, several stops, not a single issue. Made it home with no issues.

So after I got home I checked the ICP sensor, it looked fine...no oil in the connector. The pigtail looked fine...no issues. As the truck was idling, I wiggled the wiring around...tapped on the sensor...nothing. Everything is fine. The ICP sensor is only about a year old.

Could this be a problem with the IPR?? Could it be getting "Sticky" at lower oil pressures required for idling? I hate issues like this that come and go....very hard to trouble shoot.

Where do I start?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:35 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
The interesting thing is that you noticed the engine idle was a little higher at idle and the IPR values were higher as well. You did not provide the actual ICP pressure reading. To me, based on your symptoms and the high idle I bet your ICP sensor is in fact failing. When one does this it is what we call "biased" and yes, it can happen intermittently. If you notice that the concern does not return after disconnecting and the reconnecting the sensor then a poor connection is suspect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
The interesting thing is that you noticed the engine idle was a little higher at idle and the IPR values were higher as well. You did not provide the actual ICP pressure reading. To me, based on your symptoms and the high idle I bet your ICP sensor is in fact failing. When one does this it is what we call "biased" and yes, it can happen intermittently. If you notice that the concern does not return after disconnecting and the reconnecting the sensor then a poor connection is suspect.

Unfortunately, it happened so fast that I wasn't able to see the HPOP (ICP) pressure readings.....I just noticed the IPR % Rate jumping around..higher than normal. It did the fast idle thing the first time I came to a stop, and then did the rough idle thing the next two times it acted up.

So far, it's been 3 days and 900+ miles without a single hiccup. Maybe I will just replace the ICP sensor for the hell of it.....worst case, I have a spare if I never need one.

Without it trowing a code, or consistently acting up...it's going to be hard to troubleshoot the issue.

Is it unheard of for a new-ish (1yr old) oem ICP sensor to start acting up?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Well....the truck has been running fine, until today. I was driving along, and let off the gas as I was coming over a hill on the way to to my house. I was going around 35mph....with the windows down so I could here the motor pretty well. All of a sudden when I had my foot off of the gas pedal, it was like I quickly tapped the throttle with my foot, just a quick little rev......all on it's own. Very odd........

At this point...should I just go a spend $125 on a new ICP sensor and swap it out? It's such a random issue, I have no way of really tracking it down, or troubleshooting it.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:23 AM

Get a new ICP Sensor. Like you said, if it isn't the root cause of your problem, at least you'll have a spare. It's such an easy fix if it's the problem so why not take a chance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
Get a new ICP Sensor. Like you said, if it isn't the root cause of your problem, at least you'll have a spare. It's such an easy fix if it's the problem so why not take a chance.

Thanks, I'm thinking the same thing. At least I will know that's one less thing that could be causing the problem.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post

Thanks, I'm thinking the same thing. At least I will know that's one less thing that could be causing the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in