Infamous no oil pressure on dash - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Infamous no oil pressure on dash

2003 6.0 and am at 34 thousand actual miles. Total bullet proof as per bible with orings and flepros. Total delete. All the filters. Replaced hpop and all supporting orings, tubes. Ball bearing was still in housing but now with new hpop I got all power and black smoke. New Ipr and ICP with pigtail. Ford parts. I have not done a mechanical pressure reading yet as I cannot believe the LPOP is weak. I have all my power and runs great! I sit possible to have top oring leaking at injectors causing this. Just looking for opinions before I yank the cab again. Thanks

Forgot: at idle operating temp 23%. .8V and 700

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB

Last edited by thecustommuffler; 10-22-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:31 AM

Garage
Engine would not run without oilpressure. Have you tested the oil pressure switch?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:24 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Not infamous and you are looking at the wrong oil system from what I can decipher form your post. I have replaced my share of oil pressure switches for either failing to close and indicate pressure or more commonly leaking oil. If you want to check oil pressure before spinning in a new sensor the minimum oil pressure specification is no less than 12 psi at 700 rpm at full operating temperature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 10-26-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Replaced sending unit/swith three times. Along with pigtail. Replaced hpop and 3 times IPR with pigtail. Correct vehicle will not run without base oil pressure just to fire injectors. Air tested through IPR port and no leaks heard or detected with leakdown according to gauge on tester. Dead silent building with no radio and 4 sets of ears. Only at operating temp at red light in drive. Base idle set at 675 through sctx4

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:25 AM

Maybe the dash gauge in the cluster is bad, or possibly a short in the wiring harness. You really should do a mechanical pressure test before spending any more money.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 10-30-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecustommuffler View Post
Replaced sending unit/swith three times.
I think someone famous (can't remember who right) now said: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different results."
I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but you need to do troubleshooting in a logical manner.
As Ford_Doctor said, you're looking at the wrong system. The dash gauge being inoperative has nothing to do with the HP oil system. If you've changed the sending unit and pigtail three times, you need to look downstream of there, towards the wiring to the instrument cluster and the instrument cluster itself. In order to work, the gauge needs continuity in the wire between the switch and the gauge. You should check that. A ground path is also needed for a complete circuit as well.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

And I respect yalls points. I agree 100 percent. If this damn thing didnt have only 34k on it, Id be right with ya. This just started. And I am going to get a mechanical reading on base oil pressure, lpop if you will. Its only after I jump off the I-10, I really am leaning to a problem with bulletproof cooler/hose. I stronly believe its a problem with the hose from cooler to top of motor. Why? We kinked it once really bad pulling cab off.

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I dont see this as electrical in any way. Yes heat makes resistance, knowledge taken, but its only when hot. Thats an oil/flow issue

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Another new IPR and now ford seems to have just the screen without the triangle or thee plastic braces covering the screen. Its a brass screen now whereas the other ones were stainless I believe. Once it stops raining Ill go blast this damn thing to see the disappointment. Changed it due to no movement dtected or seen in plunger with snap on scanner moving full duty cycle. Hooked air to it and had leaks at all holes even with 12v hooked. New one from ford did the same thing but once it was pulled we said f it and put new one in anyway. Truck runs its butt off and Im rolling coal. All pids look great. This dang gause pees me off on the dash.

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecustommuffler View Post
And I respect yalls points. I agree 100 percent. If this damn thing didnt have only 34k on it, Id be right with ya. This just started. And I am going to get a mechanical reading on base oil pressure, lpop if you will. Its only after I jump off the I-10, I really am leaning to a problem with bulletproof cooler/hose. I stronly believe its a problem with the hose from cooler to top of motor. Why? We kinked it once really bad pulling cab off.
Why would a hose cause no-pressure when hot?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

I think its restricting flow all the time. Just a hunch. Sorta like when a brake hose to a caliper is coming apart internally. You have pedal when applying but rubber/blockage wont let caliper compress. Its mandatory in my shop that every time we change a caliper a new hose goes on. I fought a caliper decades ago from this very issue. Since then we change hoses. Ahain, just a hunch. Fuel injector o-rings I havent totally ruled out. The top ring at spool

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 12:31 PM

I would think that an oil hose that has flow and pressure at all times would not act like a brake hose.

Mark
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Me too. Its not that easy lol

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:51 PM

If you have all the power you expect and it runs great, I don't see how it can be in the high pressure oil system - anywhere.

A healthy high pressure oil system CAN pull down the pressure in the low pressure system if it isn't providing enough flow.

Are you sure that the oil filter drain valve isn't allowing oil in the filter housing to drain back to the oil pan? It can happen w/ a tall oil filter cap and an OEM filter, or if the drain valve is broken.

maybe the low pressure oil pressure regulator is sticking?

Without data it is all guess work.
ford_doctor likes this.

Mark
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:20 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
What exactly is your issue? Is it just that the oil pressure gauge doesn't work at all?

Your posts are all over the place and I for one have trouble following what the actual issue is. If it's just that the gauge doesn't work, but everything else is works OK (which you've indicated it does - as far as I can tell), then you have to look at the gauge and it's supporting wiring.
FMTRVT and ford_doctor like this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in