Infamous no oil pressure on dash - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:45 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
What exactly is your issue? Is it just that the oil pressure gauge doesn't work at all?

Your posts are all over the place and I for one have trouble following what the actual issue is. If it's just that the gauge doesn't work, but everything else is works OK (which you've indicated it does - as far as I can tell), then you have to look at the gauge and it's supporting wiring.

I was thinking the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Sorry, been out a bit and fighting the flu.

If I go on the interstate and get oil hot like anything above 210 then when I imediatly get off the interstate and hit a red light the oil pressure (gauge- low oil side) will drop to zero. Changed hpop, icp with pigtail, IPR a few times. All power is there. I have still yet to do a mechanical low pressure oil reading. It hasnt done it since last IPR from Ford but I also havent driven it to get oil temp up there yet.

Also yanked regulator in lower pressure pump again for a look see and its clean as a whistle.

Thanks

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
If you have all the power you expect and it runs great, I don't see how it can be in the high pressure oil system - anywhere.

A healthy high pressure oil system CAN pull down the pressure in the low pressure system if it isn't providing enough flow.

Are you sure that the oil filter drain valve isn't allowing oil in the filter housing to drain back to the oil pan? It can happen w/ a tall oil filter cap and an OEM filter, or if the drain valve is broken.

maybe the low pressure oil pressure regulator is sticking?

Without data it is all guess work.

Bullet proof oil cooler. I do not have the oil filter up top anymore.

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:21 PM

Edit - nm. I saw where you checked the regulator.

Now all that is missing is a mechanical pressure reading.
Hartwig likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Look behind oil filter housing to the left. Find the one wire oil pressure switch. Cuss a lot as you find the release tab oriented in the spot making it hardest to depress to unplug wire. Unplug the wire connector and see if oil is in the connector. Replace the switch and see if problem is gone. The oil pressure switch is removed to check oil pressure and the fitting needed is a metric thread most oil pressure gauges you'll find won't have in the kit. The switch is $20 on amazon for Motorcraft SW5267. That is half the price of the auto stores for their off brand and you don't have to leave your house to get it next day if you have Prime.
As has already been said, the oil pressure switches fail on these engines and many other Ford models using that same switch. It can do it anywhere from 16 miles to 336000 miles and in one week or 14 years.
The oil pressure gauge is not a gauge on your truck. It goes to a fixed point when the oil pressure switch gets at least 8 psi (yes Ford lied to millions of customers for a couple of decades with this fixed point "gauge" system that is nothing more capable than an oil pressure warning light).

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:36 AM

Garage
He stated that he replaced that switch THREE TIMES.

And STILL has yet to perform an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge to see if this is an actual low oil pressure concern or not.
Hartwig likes this.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Correct, oil pressure (6-8 psi) switch has been replaced. I have to dedicate the time to install mechanical gauge to route in truck as a hand held deal and get her hot on the interstate then jump off and see what is actually occuring. I will post when done. I may just have fixed it with new IPR but have yet to find out. Ill post my results

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Ok, ran it this am bringing son to school. Oil temp has to be at 220 or higher for this to happen. Only happens then and at red light in gear or in park. Idle must be 750 for light to go out and gauge to pop on. No mechanical pressure reading yet but I have to change the water pump (got BPD unit coming). I think Im going to change the lpop while there. Also going hydraulic fan clutch and yanking stator for trash can.
ICP: 782, ICP V: .9, IPR: 24%, EOT: 222, FICM: 48.5, Fuel PR: 59.2, EGT: 396 all at 650 idle with OP gauge zero.

Figure when water pump is off it is too easy not to yank the balancer and at least look at the gears. But I firmly believe thats where my issue lies. Air test through IPR hole reveals NO hp leaks.

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB

Last edited by thecustommuffler; 11-22-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 PM

Despite the advice, you are going to replace parts (the LPOP) BEFORE checking the pressure?? I truly don't understand why you have posted this thread if you don't respect the advice. You certainly may find an issue w/ the LPOP, but it really is a poor method of troubleshooting. You have spent a LOT of money already just guessing.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that the (very) knowledgeable Techs on these forums will go to great lengths to help you, but only if you listen to and heed the troubleshooting advice.
bobofthenorth likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 11-22-2019 at 10:30 PM.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I agree with Bismic. The LPOP is NOT going to be your problem. That's going to be dumping money down the drain. It's about the last thing that would cause oil pressure to immediately drop, in any situation. LP oil pressure may degrade over time, but definitely won't heal itself when things cool down.
As has been advised, get a mechanical gauge on it to see what's really happening. With the oil pressure gauge being a pseudo-gauge that just responds to a switch, I would suspect a wire that's opening intermittently when the engine gets hot.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Point is well taken. If it were electrical and something is opening hot, then why if skinny pedal brings rpm up to 750 rpm does the problem go away?

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 05:05 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecustommuffler View Post
Point is well taken. If it were electrical and something is opening hot, then why if skinny pedal brings rpm up to 750 rpm does the problem go away?
Can't say about that, but I do know that intermittent electrical issues are a PITA to diagnose. Checking continuity while wiggling wire harnesses is essential, but sometimes even that won't work.

Good luck.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:32 PM

I don't know if 220 degree oil temp is normal for a BulletProof Diesel oil cooler or not, but if it were normal, I would be very unhappy with it. I have never seen over 210. Granted I only tow around 5000 lbs when I tow, but I see a LOT of hot days in the summer.

What has prevented you from getting a mechanical pressure reading? It should be simple, cheap, and take very little time at all.

Mark
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Nothing really. What should my reading be cold? Psi I mean if i do a t at sending unit.

I really believe the potential cooling capabilites of the BPD cooler cannot be achieved due to the electric clutch and what determines its operation. I really think a hydraulic clutch is needed. I dont think Ive ever heard my fan kick on to be honest.

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:05 PM

The minimum engine oil pressure specifications are 82.7 kPa (12 psi) at 700 rpm, 165.5 kPa (24 psi) at 1,200 rpm and 310.3 kPa (45 psi) at 1,800 rpm with the engine at operating temperature. Low or no pressure could be caused by the oil pressure regulator, gerotor oil pump or an internal lube oil pressure leak.

Pressures will be higher when cold.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in