Low ICP Pressure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low ICP Pressure

I'm at a loss here and I could use some help.

I've got a 2004 f250 6 0 lariat. About a week ago I noticed that I was losing power when I put down the accelerator. I started monitoring the icp pressure and ipr percentage. Accelerating very gingerly everything would look fine. When I got on it enough to make it shift down things would change.
It would downshift, the ipr would jump to 99% but the icp pressure would drop to 600psi.
Then the day before yesterday when I was driving my 2 miles to work I got to a stop sign and saw when my engine idled for a second the oil pressure needle on the dash would drop to the low red zone. But if I touched the accelerator at all it would jump back to normal pressure.
I havent lost any oil or anything, it's still full. I honestly dont know where to start on this.
I was going to check the low pressure pump relief valve to see if a piece of debris had it stuck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Do an air pressure test.

It sounds like the pressed in ball bearing in the HPOP has come loose.

Also not real familiar w/ IPR duty cycle going above 84 or 85%. I thought that was the max.

Checking the low pressure oil pressure regulator is a good plan.

Also verify that you are using an OEM oil filter w/ an OEM cap.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Run the pressure test on the hpop? And it's a tall cap that came with the oil filter I bought last time I changed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Lots of google hits on air testing the 6.0L high pressure oil system. Several really good you tube videos on it as well. You apply air to where the ICP sensor is screwed into. Another option is to get an IPR adapter so you can test through the IPR port (IPR valve removed of course).

If you use an OEM oil filter with a tall cap, you will not get full oil pressure because the oil filter reservoir drain valve will not get closed completely. Bets to get an OEM cap and then always use OEM oil filters.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Cool I'll check out some videos and run the pressure test. And I'll probably end up getting a short filter to replace this one and switch back to the OEM cap.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 03:25 PM

Some of the techs on the pressure testing are DieselTechRon and FordTechMakuloco.

Here are a few

Mark
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Unread 05-01-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the late post but I've been busy with work and couldn't do much to the truck. But it was exactly like Bismic guessed. The pressure relief bearing ended up working it's way out over time. Went ahead and got an adrenaline pump that was tapped and plugged so I wouldnt have to worry about all that again.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully this post can help someone else with the same issue.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Unread 05-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronsomedi View Post
..... when I was driving my 2 miles to work I got to a stop sign and saw when my engine idled for a second the oil pressure needle on the dash would drop to the low red zone. But if I touched the accelerator at all it would jump back to normal pressure.
Sort of the classic signs of a leak on the suction side of the HPOP (and the pressed in ball bearing is actually on the suction side).

Glad you got it fixed.

Mark
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Unread 05-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Some of the techs on the pressure testing are DieselTechRon and FordTechMakuloco.

Here are a few

Nice to see that DieselTechRon is still getting some love on this site. He helped me a ton since I first purchased a 6.0

RIP Buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in