Manual Transmission Fluid Change - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual Transmission Fluid Change

I'm using Amsoil manual transmission fluid and thinking of changing it with 40K on it. The use is mixed with an empty truck and moderate towing. I don't want to throw away good oil. Any rec's on how many miles I can safely put on it?

Thanks, Pat

06 F350 4x4 XLT, CC, LB, True Blue, 3.73LS, dash mount Pyro (ESOF knob), with stick, 104K miles, BFG AT TKO2 275/70/18/E. Newer Turbo........
97 F350 4x4 XLT, CC, 136k.....SOLD to new owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Way more than 40k miles. Your scheduled maintenance manual (assuming you still have one) says 60k miles, normal service.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:33 PM

I just had a "hot flush" performed on my 6 speed manual by the dealer (forgot to ask them what type of fluid they used). Is there such a thing as a friction inhibitor for manual transmissions? I use Rev-X at oil changes, my buddy swears by that stuff as engine oil additive. If such a thing exists I would like to add to my transmission oil while it is new.

"If you are ashamed to standby your colors, you had better seek another flag."
Anonymous

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:36 PM

My Photos: (180)
What would you need a "friction inhibitor" for in a 6-speed? It might actually interfere with the operation of the synchronizers. Just my 2cents.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:40 AM

Agreed.

Just use a high quality ATF like Mobil-1 and its additive package will have all you need.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:13 AM

I guess I was assuming that if there are addatives for big motors there would be the same for manual transmissions. I read about guys sometimes having problems with their automatics as soon as 40-60K miles on them. I want to do what I can to keep the power train as happy as posible since it has 227k on it.

"If you are ashamed to standby your colors, you had better seek another flag."
Anonymous
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate0341 View Post
I guess I was assuming that if there are addatives for big motors there would be the same for manual transmissions. I read about guys sometimes having problems with their automatics as soon as 40-60K miles on them. I want to do what I can to keep the power train as happy as posible since it has 227k on it.
I am of the opinion that 7.3’s don’t need oil additive products because motor oils today have such robust additive packages these days.

The automatics are a very diffferent animal from the manual trans but I understand your desire to want to take good care of your ZF-6.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in