The Diesel Stop banner

My 6.0L Will not rev up or move when put in drive or reverse....

26K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
Im having major problems with my 2004 f250 6.0!! When i went to start it it would barely start then once it was running and warmed up i tried to put it in gear and it would not rev up or move in drive or reverse.. But it would rev up in park and neutral.. Also before it started doing this, while i was driving sometimes it would drop into a lower gear and rev way up when it did this i would let off the gas and it would slam/jump into gear... what could cause these problems?!!!

#2 ·
Barely starting, are your batts./ficm ok? You didn't say, so assume the TCIL (t/h lite) not flashing. Other than shift issue, do u think your eng. is running ok?

Maybe MK (tranny guy) will chime in? Don't recall if DTCs will show up, even if TCIL not flashing? Should set code if flashing. Codes sure would help eliminate some speculation/guessing. Also scan eng. pcm for DTCs.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
I’m having the same problem just wanted to know if anybody has figured anything out The truck starts up and runs fine put it in drive or reverse it will not rev up and move Until you get above 1800 rpm’s
So you put it in gear and the RPMs won't go up? But it moves when they rev up above 1800 RPM? This doesn't make any sense to me. If it won't rev up how does it get above 1800 RPM?

#8 ·
Any idea as to what? Could it be something as simple as a bad solenoid or the filter dropping? There was zero noise, no pop, no grinding, nothing. It just quit working. No rough shifts, no indication something was wrong. When my 4r70w went out in my old f150, it had 1, 2, and r for a little while. It also popped in and out of gear.

#9 ·
If the filter fell out it could do this. It is not a solenoid. I've pointed out on this board before that there was no specification in the design specs for this transmission that it must provide notice before something breaks. When a mechanical part breaks, it breaks.

#10 ·
I'm not sure I understand, it just wont move? Or the engine won't rev up at all?
If it revs in neutral or park, but not in gear. Something is really messed up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#17 ·
You didn't answer any of the questions asked of you over on PSN.

Gives the impression of a spam post.

#22 ·
Starting your own thread is the best way to get help.

Tagging onto other threads with only a statement that "Mine is doing the same thing" often times gets no response. Put some thought and effort into a thread - include specifics (including make, model, year, codes, tests done, recent maintenance activity, age and miles on the engine, etc).

#23 ·
Read the previous post on the thread and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.
So I stripped the tranny down today and just cleaned it up, flushed the system and changed the filter. Everything seems to be back to normal. I also changed the batteries and cleaned up the grounds while I was at it, they were 3 years old.
Hopefully this helps out the posters before if it hasn't been solved. The ground to make sure are good are by the fuse box, one on the firewall and a pair on the fender. They were related and I was throwing low voltage on some of the codes. Along with shift solenoid a and d locked. I reset the codes as well before running it. It is a 07 F350 4x4 6.0, 5r100w tranny

#24 ·
To make this an even better reply, you might post the code numbers that you had ...... and encourage people that need help to do the same.

The request for codes was made in the first response post (post #2), but people seem to miss it (or ignore it).

#25 ·
I have an 04 6.0 powerstroke. I was driving fine, and hit a red light. As it went green, I had no acceleration. I put it in neutral and after I hit 2k rpm I dropped to drive and went fine. When I stopped, I killed it and the next start was similar. No go once in gear. No rev at all. Once it finally did, I drove 20 miles and killed it. Next start, no rev, to no start. Will start and then die. Never rev, and will not accept the gear. Now no start at all. Only indicator of amy issue at all is the no rev. Im thinking maybe something to do with my fuel filter, but Im not sure. Any helo is appreciated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.