At my wits end ............... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
At my wits end ...............

About 6 months ago my 2005 Excursion with 69,000 miles wouldn't turn over. Had it towed to the dealership. Rolls off the flatbed tow truck and starts up. Gets hooked up to the computer and shows no error codes. Bring it home and park it for three days. Go to start it, and same thing, wont start. Have it towed to the dealership. Rolls off the flatbed tow truck and starts. Gets hooked up to the computer and again shows no error codes. Bring it home and it sits for a week. Go to start it, and it wont start.

I then have it towed to Left Coast Diesel and same thing. Rolls off, starts, no error codes. Sits there for a month to get it to get a "non start" and it starts up every time.

Bring it back home after and sits for 4 days and wont start again. ***!?

Anyone here experience this?

2005 EXCURSION LIMITED BLACK 4x4, 6.0 - original owner
1) Suspension=Donahoe Racing 4.5 Edge suspension
2) Wheels=Mickey Thompson M/TŪ Classic Lock 18x10
3) Tires=Nitto Terra Grapplers 35x12.50R18
4) Turbo-back Exhaust
5) Bulletproofed 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:24 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Usually it's the starter when this happens from my experience. I prefer to diagnose something like this by actually verifying the no crank and diagnosing it at that time... given the random intermittent mature that becomes impossible sometimes as you are experiencing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Ford Doctor, heres a video of what I'm experiencing...............

https://share.icloud.com/photos/00MZ...covery_Bay,_CA

Last edited by cteno; 07-30-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM

You said it won't turn over, but by that you mean it won't start? Clearly it is cranking (which is what I call "turn over").

Anyway - it sounds like a weak crank to me. What rpms are you getting during the cranking?

The fuel level is low - maybe you aren't getting fuel flow.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Sounds like a weak crank to me. What rpms are you getting during the cranking?

The fuel level is low - maybe you aren't getting fuel flow.
As far as fuel..... it has a 1/2 tank over 20 gallons at least, just not at the time I took video.

**** I must also mention, I can get it to start when I spray starter fluid into the air intake while someone is turning the ignition, but it starts hard. Once started it purrs like a kitten and runs perfect. Starts up every time that same day. The no start problem occurs when its been sitting for two or three days.

4) Turbo-back Exhaust
5) Bulletproofed 2016

Last edited by cteno; 07-30-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Well - it would seem that your issue is fuel related since it starts w/ ether.

When it doesn't start, I would verify the rate at which the secondary fuel filter fills w/ the key on (checking for bubbles while it filled).

Also would be good to install a fuel pressure gauge.

Lastly, it would be good to see ICP data (volts and pressure) when cranking.

I would still like to see the cranking rpms, but that is just me ...........

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 07-30-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will pass this on to the service manager when I bring my truck in tomorrow

4) Turbo-back Exhaust
5) Bulletproofed 2016
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:03 PM

Personally I would recommend trying the tests (except fuel pressure) yourself. The last thing any good Diesel Tech wants to hear is "I read this on the Internet ....".

The best way to get engine data is to download a smartphone app (I recommend ForScan Lite) and get an ELM327 OBDII adapter (I recommend BAFX brand). $40 or so total.

The WiFi version probably works for both Android and Apple phones, but I know it works for the i-phone. The Bluetooth version works on Android, but as stated I think the WiFi version works on both.

Mark

Last edited by bismic; 07-31-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 11:15 PM

Slower cranking, combined with starting on ether says low oil pressure on the high side not making the minimum pressure to start firing the injectors. I would be looking for high pressure side oil leaks, bad IPR, bad pump, things of that sort
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 11:17 PM

It could also come back to the weak crank, which could be one of the batteries being weak, a bad positive cable between the batteries or between the battery and the starter or the same on the ground side. At this age of truck those cables can look good on the outside and be completely shot on the inside. If you have poor Connections in the electrical system there may be just barely enough for it to roll over but not enough to run the electronics at the same time
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 11:24 PM

My Photos: (8)
If the batteries are charged I would also agree with it being a starter issue. As the go bad they can draw enough amps that the injectors do not fire properly.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in