New purchase, 2007 F550 sorting out multiple issues. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (26)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New purchase, 2007 F550 sorting out multiple issues.

Good day guys,

My buddy just purchased a 2007 F550, generally in great shape, 120,000 miles but it has several issues, likely due in part, to having been parked for about a year prior to the auction. I'm mainly a 7.3 guy so the 6.0 has features I'm not 100% familiar with so I'd like your thoughts on the following:

1. Overboost/limp at highway speeds - Boost seems to run awfully high just cruising down the highway, on the order of 22 PSI, spiking to 30+ on uphill pulls. This is triggering a CEL and limp mode until the truck is shut down. To me, not knowing anything else, this sounds like the VGT is not adjusting for different load conditions, nozzle staying too far closed. Does this sound reasonable? Is it possible to clean the turbo or maybe the control unit is fried?

2. Ride is awful - This particular truck is the smallest, lightest F550 and it rides like it has no suspension. Is there a way to "de-rate" the suspension since the owner doesn't need the full load carrying capacity?

3. High RPM's at highway speed - I'm assuming this has 4.88 or some other similar gearing. What are the options for something more reasonable like 4.11? Is 3.73 too low? Replacement ring/pinion? OD unit?

4. Dash gauges/lighting sometimes flashes or goes does - Is this a known problem on these trucks?

Thanks as always for your input!

-Evan

2000 Vermillion F250, 4X4, SC, LWB, PSD, 6sp. Autometer Sport Comp 2 5/8" Boost and EGT, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, Retrax bed cover, LED tail conversions, electronic flasher, Rotorpro brake disks, homemade open element intake, Pioneer SYS 900 navigation system, Kicker RMB8 Subs, Rockford Fosgate 200M amp, Clifford Matrix Rs3 Alarm, Rancho RSX shocks, Relocated parking brake release, Home Depot regulator on the MAP sensor, DP Tuner chip 40, 80, 120 HP - 312 RWHP / 600 Lb-Ft Tq. on the Dynojet. Her name is Xena - a rolling test bed for my crazy ideas...

"Doing my part to control the mosquito population..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:01 AM

My Photos: (0)
On the boost issue, check the EBP, MAP, and Baro sensors at KOEO and see if they are within 0.5 psi of each other. Make sure they are all in the same units (psi). Also, make sure that the EBP sensor tube is not plugged (I run a thick weedwhacker string down the tube). Same w/ MAP sensor nipple - make sure it isn't plugged.

Cleaning the turbo.
6.0L Power Stroke VGT Disassembly & Cleaning Procedures

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Great info Mark, thanks!

-Evan

2000 Vermillion F250, 4X4, SC, LWB, PSD, 6sp. Autometer Sport Comp 2 5/8" Boost and EGT, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, Retrax bed cover, LED tail conversions, electronic flasher, Rotorpro brake disks, homemade open element intake, Pioneer SYS 900 navigation system, Kicker RMB8 Subs, Rockford Fosgate 200M amp, Clifford Matrix Rs3 Alarm, Rancho RSX shocks, Relocated parking brake release, Home Depot regulator on the MAP sensor, DP Tuner chip 40, 80, 120 HP - 312 RWHP / 600 Lb-Ft Tq. on the Dynojet. Her name is Xena - a rolling test bed for my crazy ideas...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to post an update to this. I was able to actually drive the truck myself for a couple hours. In the time since we last spoke, the owner had the EGR valve replaced and the transmission flushed and filter changed.

The truck seemed to drive normally to me, aside from seeming to be low on power. Low power may be normal on this model if the engine is de-rated but I'm not sure it is. Boost acts normally and I noticed that the previous owner had replaced the turbo with another one from ebay. (markings on turbo housing)

The thing that's most annoying is the dash gauges and indicators going dead randomly. Battery light flashes, gauges go dead, more flashing, gauges come back. It does this over and over again as you drive down the Interstate. No poking around or pounding on the dash has any effect. Engine seems to run fine other than a small hesitation/missing at times followed by a small surge of power.

-Evan

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:11 PM

My Photos: (0)
The dash issues could very well be the power saver relay in the instrument cluster (not uncommon). Circuit Board Medics can address that if you send the instrument cluster in.

There are youtube videos on removing the cluster. It isn't hard.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:48 PM

My Photos: (1)
The rock hard ride is normal for a 550 that doesn't have 3500 pounds or more of bed, body, etc on it. You can make spacers and remove a lot of the rear leaf spring pack. I have a 450 with higher payload option and that makes it near to 550 payload. I took a lot of leaves out on the way to adding air bags....only after I took out a lot of leaves it still handled my 3000 pound pin weight 36 foot living quarter horse trailer just fine. I removed leaves that were about 3 inches of the leaf stack and replaced them with a block made of two pieces of heavy gauge channel of the proper weight (I think 4 inches) to keep the height near the same. Stock that trailer weight made it settle 1 inch. Leaves removed it drops 2 1/2 inches. It is no cushy ride empty in spite of all metal hauler bed but I no longer feel like I risk breaking my back on bad road unloaded. My truck is 60 inch cab to axle crew cab and weighs 9150 lbs empty I think that makes my bed 1500-1600 pounds as 2wd C&C are around 7500 lbs.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:58 AM

My Photos: (8)
Tire pressure has a lot to do with ride. If you are driving without a load consider dropping the rear tire pressure down to 45 psi and front to 65-70. You should be able to find a chart for your tires with a load/psi scale on it. Swapping overload springs for air bags is a great ideal also.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in