New in site trouble in tyranny - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New in site trouble in tyranny

Hello everybody I just join today. My 2006 f250 diesel 6.0 4x4 auto tranny is having a hard time climbing in hills or mountain in 40mph. Not shifting gears and tend to overheat when press the gas pedal. Any feedback is very much appreciated.
Thank you QMandiesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
What gear is it stuck in? How hot is it getting when it's overheating?

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
What gear is it stuck in? How hot is it getting when it's overheating?
Drive won’t go up beyond 40 uphill. I press pedal to floor and rpm goes very high and started to overheat to the maximum. Only when I reduce speed then temp goes to normal. Never tried any other gear except drive. Talk to few friends and some say torque converter bad and not getting the fluid it needed, some say it’s tranny. When I switch to 4X4 seems to drive normal but not in 2wd thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 AM

There isn't enough information in your post for me to determine anything.

How high does the RPM go? How hot does the transmission get?

The friends that say the torque converter is not getting the fluid it needs do not know how a transmission works. Ignore them.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

This is how happen
The truck is stop, I drive the truck and goes around 30-35mph with no issues but when goes over 40 I don’t feel or hear a tranny shifting to the next gear, I press the pedal harder to move but tranny is sluggish and hard time going 45mph. I press pedal to the floor the rpm goes higher but tranny still not shifting.

Going uphill is the battle, I press the pedal to the floor and rpm goes high and tranny feel like it’s stuck in low gear and temperatures started to rise to the max and engine temp lights up, I don’t hear or feel tranny is shifting to the next gear.

It feels like I’m pulling a tractor trailer uphill. Big rig is faster than me in freeway and passing me by. Temp goes to normal if I slow down.

To make it short, it feel like the tranny is stuck in low gear in drive and not shifting so that I drive drive past 50. Engine struggled, rpm goes very high if I press the gas pedal and temperature started to rise

thank you
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:05 AM

It would help if you could post numbers (like how high does the transmission temperature get and what rpms does it get to) .... especially when specifically asked for them by someone that can help you figure out what is going on!

ForScan is a great phone app for seeing actual sensor numbers. You need an OBDII adapter (ELM327) to use it (WiFi for i-phone, bluetooth for Android). Total cost of $40 or so.

Codes would also help. ForScan is a good code reading app.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 03-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 AM

If you just want to change parts, the first thing I'd recommend is a fuel filter. I think the trans is fine and the engine isn't making power.

Mark
Former

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Do the steering column gear shift indicators get loose on these 6.0's? Could he think he is in drive, but it actually be in "3"?

Hard for me to see a plugged fuel filter causing the engine to get hot (assuming that engine temp is what he was watching) and rpms to get high.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 03-08-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Sorry been busy here cleaning during snow and now storm

I bough OBG 2 for Ford only tester and shows no sign of issues in engine or tranny or other error code

Shift linkage are ok
P- parking is ok
R - works in reverse
D- drive is ok
3- works
2-works
1-works
All works as it supposed to be in their designated letters and numbers

Update on why I did recently
Change oil, air filter, oil filter, tranny oil, tranny filter, plush coolant, change coolant to gold concentrated coolant, new coolant reservoir and knob, new temp thermostat, change both fuel filter upper and lower.

Result
1. engine temperatures is back to normal now and doesn’t overheat during driving either hill or mountain
2. Truck runs better and smoother
Tranny temperature is always been normal and still normal

This is what I encountered
If truck is driven for the first time in a day. I noticed that truck hesitated to go above 35mp even the pedal is floored to the ground. I stop to the curb for a minute or 2 then drive again. When I reach 30mph I shifted to 3 and pick up the speed to 35-40 then shifted back to D- drive and this time is back to normal speed and able to drive normal.
The rest of the day the truck drives normal.

The following day I encountered the same problems hesitation then do the same procedures shift to 3rd gear then to D - drive then goes to normal speed then the rest of the day is normal
even though I don’t drive the truck for 3-4 hours that day the truck drives normal all day

My thought maybe tranny fluid is not circulating properly or if there’s tranny fluid pump that stuck or block

Any suggestions for me to check is very much appreciated

Thank you
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:11 PM

When it won't go above 35-40 what is the engine RPM?

Mark
Former

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Just drive the truck this morning
25mph and 1600rpm I press gas pedal floored and truck won’t go up beyond 30mph with 1800rpm.
I stop in the curb
Tried it again 27mph with 1800rpm and still the same shifted to 3rd gear sped goes to 29mph with 1900rpm
Stop again
Drove to 30mph with 2000rpm shifted to 3rd speed goes to 32mph then to 2nd and speed goes to 34mph then shifted to D- drive and truck speed up to 35mph with 22rpm then keep speeding to 40mph with 2400rpm and back to normal speed and able to drive to 55-60mph with 2200rpm

I stop and went to store for 30 minutes. Driving home is back to normal with good speed and rpm

It only happen when I first drive for the first time that day. After that it goes to normal speed because maybe the engine and transmission is already hot and been driven

I was thinking maybe a solenoid or switched that’s not opening or closing to control speed. Or maybe the turbo

Again any help is very much appreciated
Thank you arnold
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:23 PM

I think it's a fuel delivery problem. The problem appears to be that the engine isn't making power until it warms up. I do not think there is anything wrong with the transmission.

Mark
Former

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMandiesel View Post
Sorry been busy here cleaning during snow and now storm

I bough OBG 2 for Ford only tester and shows no sign of issues in engine or tranny or other error code

Update on why I did recently
Change oil, air filter, oil filter, tranny oil, tranny filter, plush coolant, change coolant to gold concentrated coolant, new coolant reservoir and knob, new temp thermostat, change both fuel filter upper and lower.

Thank you
There are a lot of marginal scan tools out there that don't pick up all the codes. Which one did you get?

Also, Ford Gold coolant has a VERY bad track record when it gets overheated. Clogs up the oil cooler.

I sure would be interested in what the oil temp is after 15-20 minutes of driving.

Mark
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Got Amazon Autel OBD2 scanner. I might take it to Oreily or Auto Zone for free diagnostics this weekend.

Never been an issues in tranny temperature. Drove the truck for 3 hours and tranny temperature is normal.

Only the engine temperature overheat when climbing uphill but it’s already fixed because I flushed the coolant, change thermostat and coolant reservoir and cap. Engine temperature is normal between low and high.

I used Zerex G-05 Gold concentrated from Oreily auto. Poured 2.5 gallon.

Only issues now engine hesitated to speed up when I drive for a very first time that day but after I reach above 40mph truck goes back to normal speed and the rest of the day is normal.

Maybe this coming weekend I’ll take a video in the odometer and post it

Thank you
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:22 AM

That GO5 coolant may work for a while, but eventually it will gel up IMO.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in