No Injector Buzz, No DTC's, No Start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Injector Buzz, No DTC's, No Start

I know there are a million No Start threads - feels like I have read them all. But still no help for me.
I had a rebuilt motor installed after a rod went thru the block. Everything great for ~1000 miles of light use. Then one day - no start. After 3 attempts, I could finally hear injector buzz at key-on, then it fired. For a week or two - same thing - had to turn key on/off a couple of times to hear buzz, then it would fire. Fired & started one time last weekend, then dead again. Now - no buzz, no start.
FICM is Swamps 58V, about 3 years old. All Injectors are new. I'm using ForScan w/generic reader. 160 rpm cranking, FICM SYNC OK, IPR 15% cranking, ICPDES 1025psi, ICP 1.63V. All FICM-Voltage PID's in spec.
Only codes related to EGR delete & P1000. Checked all grounds & voltage at FICM X3 connector - all good. FICM Voltage read directly 58V IGN ON, drops to 55V cranking.
Checked Injector harness - seems OK, all injector coils measure in spec for resistance at FICM Connectors X1 & X2.
Also tried running injector buzz test in Forscan Tool - test aborts due to "conditions for test not met"
Any suggestions at all? For some reasons, injectors are not firing with some intermittent problem. If they fire, it starts. Because I don't get the buzz at Key On, I know this can only be an electrical issue.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM

What's your ICP actual? You need 500psig minimum before the injectors have enough pressure to fire.

If that's good, I would suspect your FICM. Voltage is only an indicator or FICM health. The step-up power section can be working perfectly fine, but something else in the "brains" section can be wrong. There have been quite a few reported failures of the 58v FICM's.

Scott

SOLD -- 2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

ICP was reading 1.63V while cranking - I think that equates to over 1000psi?
The fact that if/when I can hear injector buzz at key-on it starts, but if no buzz then no start, leads me to believe the problem is already there by Key-On. Seems to rule out HPOP (which is new anyway) or other mechanical stuff.

If I pull one injector connector and put a voltmeter across a pair of pins, I wonder if my multimeter will pick up the 58V pulses? Or maybe they are too short in duration, don't know.

Sure seems to point to the FICM, just wish there was a better way to confirm it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM

About the only way is to swap it out with a known good one. Maybe somebody you know has a 6.0L??? Any model year will work.

Scott

SOLD -- 2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 PM

Garage
Check your power at the relay feeding the FICM, I believe it's the grey one towards the front in the fuse box under the hood.

Relay = buzz
No relay = no buzz

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson edition:
Bullet proofed, usual mods.

2017 F-350 DRW Lariat Ultimate:
Stock pending warranty.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 10:43 PM

Seems like a few intermittent electrical issues lately. You might just need to un plug and plug back in the FICM, PCM, 12 way connector a dozen time or so if your not getting a good connection on one of the pins.

Ray Mason
2018 F350 Crewcab

2004 F350 4X4 Crewcab
Sled Deck
6 spd basic

88 Ford F350 4X4 Crewcab
Original Injector Pump
Original Clutch
Electric Fuel Pump
Reconditioned Shotgun Holder
Lots of Rust
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Sent my FICM to FICM.repair. Logic board fried, some other issues.
Thought my problems would be over after re-installing - but I guess there is something else going on. Same symptoms - intermittent injector buzz.

Another interesting detail ... the Injector Self Test will not start in Fordscan (like Auto Engenuity). Gives a message "Test conditions not right - test aborted", or something like that. WHY ?!?! What conditions are needed for that to run? I think that is the key to my issue. Since all the FICM PID's come up with good values, and I get FICM sync when cranking, CAN link with PCM must be OK.

If it does self-test does run, I also get injector buzz and it starts. But later, it won't! Nothing changed - just different result.

What if both injector harness connectors are detached at the FICM? Will this prevent Injector Self Test starting? Or, will it run but give multiple codes?

Would be great if someone with a working truck could try that and see what happens!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM

I had to send my computer back to ed at FICM repair twice. I also had the logic board fry out the first time, and the second time he said the power supply was bad.

However both times were within two weeks. On the second time I had him send me another unit, i didn't want that one back.

It really really sounds like your FICM is still bad. The FICM controls the injectors. However take your injector harness completely off the vehicle. Pour yourself a jack and coke (its going to take a while), take all the plastic and aluminum foil wrap off the harness and inspect each wire. Repair any frayed or damaged wires (soder and shrinkwrap) wrap it back with aluminum foil, then with that corrigated split wire warp, then mummify it in electrical tape. Dont go stretching the wires completely out, they have a memory of were they were and it makes re installing it faster and easier.

Be carefully plugging it back in. You dont want to bend a pin. Drain a few gallons of coolant out and remove your degas bottle.

Maby you got my old FICM!!ha

Last edited by JonGage; 08-26-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: more info
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM

Garage
Have you tested or replaced Relay 304 under the hood? Also mini fuse under the hood #18 10A controls this relay and #15 15A is related to the FICM too some how.

If I were a betting man I'd say if any of the plugs at the FICM were unplugged the truck wouldn't run, a properly placed loose pin in one or more of those plugs might give you an intermittent buzz

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson edition:
Bullet proofed, usual mods.

2017 F-350 DRW Lariat Ultimate:
Stock pending warranty.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

1ms

That's interesting. I thought they were tested before shipping back out.
Seems like everything points to bad FICM (just replaced) or all 8 NEW injectors suddenly failing(odds?). But then again, it did run 2 nights ago. Buzzed and started several times. But nothing the next day.

I've read several places today that an unseated injector harness connector would still allow the injector self-test to run, but it would set multiple open circuit codes. Makes sense. I can't even get the self-test to start. The On-Demand KOEO self test works fine though. Tearing my hair out with this one - pretty much out of ideas.

I'm thinking now about trying to borrow a 'scope - I guess the only way to see the ~1ms waveforms to the injector coils. At least if I could see those, or not, I could finally rule out FICM vs Injector side. Anyone tried that before?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

To 05 Harley : I don't think it is the relay, because I can monitor the FICM voltages as PID's on my scan tool. They stay high. I tried to pulling the logic fuse, and I could immediately see Logic Voltage drop to zero & set a code. Voltage back to normal with the fuse reinstalled. I know the relay output feeds into the 10A logic fuse.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 01:18 PM

im having the same issue, finally i took off the white and yellow wire #9 out of the 12 pin harness and hooked it ti the battery and she fired right up. all fuses are good and relays, must be a broken wire between the fusebox and the twelve pin connector.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 AM

loghauler4551 stupid question .......where is the 12 pin connector located at
"im having the same issue, finally i took off the white and yellow wire #9 out of the 12 pin harness and hooked it ti the battery and she fired right up. all fuses are good and relays, must be a broken wire between the fusebox and the twelve pin connector."
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:55 AM

its a 2 1/2 year old comment, but i'm having the same issue with an 04 6.0. no injector buzz but everything else checks out fine, new ficm, new crank sensor and new ecm. still nothing
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:18 AM

As indicated above, the ICP pressure and voltage when cranking is important. So are cam/crank sync and FICM sync. Please post this information.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in