No power unless at 2500+RPM - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation No power unless at 2500+RPM

I have a 2004 F250 Harley Davidson with 80000 miles on it. About 2 months ago it started to lose power when going up even the slightest hill. If I punch it and get the RPM's up past 2500 it will go like a bat out of Hell, but it has to sputter first and belch out a whole lot of black smoke. Just had a buddy help me replace the IPR and IPC, the IPR did have a few small holes in it. It still does the same thing though so that wasnt the problem. Any ideas what to look for next? I do have a Scan Gauge on it and there are no codes showing. FICM is showing 48.0, and I'm not sure what to look for on the other readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to ritschner
See what the VGT is doing at lower RPM. Black smoke is a sign of too much fuel for the volume of air. My guess would be stuck vanes in the turbo. The PCM commanding the VGT to 85% would be a good indication. Normally that would throw a P0299 code though.

White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab elbow, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, DCPower 185a alternator, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritschner View Post
See what the VGT is doing at lower RPM. Black smoke is a sign of too much fuel for the volume of air. My guess would be stuck vanes in the turbo. The PCM commanding the VGT to 85% would be a good indication. Normally that would throw a P0299 code though.
It sounds like more than one issue

And black smoke does not mean too much fuel. It means there is a lack of air.

First, please check your air filter!! Pull air filter and run the truck, drive normal and agressive, check for black smoke. If there isnt black smoke, change your filter.

Second pull your egr sensor off and check for carbon. If your egr is caked up or stuck with carbon then so is your manifold. You'll have to pull your manifold off and clean out the carbon. Carbon build up will choke your manifold, which wont allow air to flow. DO NOT GO THE QUICK ROUTE AND PUT SEAFOAM IN THE INTAKE. Seafoam works but you run the risk of bending your rods. Just, Take it off and scrub the inside spotless.

To avoid future carbon build up, delete your EGR!!!

Also your fuel regulator may not be allowing correct portion of fuel because its been running with air loss. So you'll need to replace your spring.

The issue your describing sounds like a mix of all of the above.

Worst case senario, your turbo is in need of cleaning or replacing.

Best case senario, you have a holes or splits in your turbo intacke tubes and or intercooler.

Hope u got a tool set. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'll see what my Scan Gauge gives me on the VGT and check the easy stuff (like the air filter) first, probably pull and clean the EGR valve.....then see what happens....tomorrow, way too hot today in AZ
Thanks!
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

VGT reading is at 85 in idle, so that's not good.....right?
Here's some readings:
boost @ 0.0 @ idle (600rpm) @7.5 @1800rpm(and faltering) @ 18 @ 2500rpm (and running fine)
VGT @ 85 @ idle (600rpm) @50 @1800rpm @ 45 @ 2500rpm
IPR @ 27.7 @ idle (600rpm) @45 @1800rpm @48 @ 2500rpm
ICP @ 580 @ idle (600rpm) @1450 @1800rpm @ 1900 @ 2500rpm

I'm going to clean and rebuild EGR valve next, and these symptoms seem to indicate stuck vanes in the turbo?
You think I'm on the right track?
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:45 AM

My Photos: (6)
I have the exact same symptoms on my bulletproofed '03 6.0 with a Garrett PowerMax Turbo... I recently replaced a cracked bellows on the Pass Side Up-pipe and thought for sure that was going to clear the problem up... NOT... Major Turbo lag, black smoke until the Turbo spools which usually isn't until after 2000 R's, way high EGT's, lacks power until I pedal it hard, lazy tranny downshifts, etc... I checked all my CAC tubes/hoses, did the VGT re-learn procedure with no improvement, and am still stumped... Unlike yours, my Turbo has 2,800 miles on it since the bulletproofing last Spring so I can't believe it's stuck vanes... Let us know what you eventually find is causing your issue if you get it nailed down...

** SMD '04 F250 6.0 CC King Ranch, '14 F350 6.7 Lariat CC **
Original engine grenaded @ 31,000 miles..! Replacement engine DIY bulletproofed, Gen 4 Injectors, 58V FICM, Blue Spring, IPR Remote Oil Cooler/Coolant Filter, ARP studs, DC Power 270 Amp Alt, BD billet H2O pump, CCV catch can, MBRP Duals, 2 blown Turbos currently running a Garrett, DR Edge 8.5" hybrid lift w/ 5" rear leafs, 37x13.5x17 Swamper M16's, Draw-Tite portable winch mount, WARN xD9000i, WARN Pocket Flares w/ Durabak, 4.56's w/ F&R ARB's, Dynatrac Dana 60 35 spline stubs, Powerslot Cryos/Hawk LTS, Yukon Hardcore 35 spline hubs, 2" wheel spacers,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:56 AM

My Photos: (2)
2800 miles in a year+ is a lot of sitting, that much sitting could cause the turbo so seize up if the turbo is aged. I just don't know if it can happen on a new turbo as well.

They used to say when these trucks were new on the lot that a sticking turbo was possible if it sat on the dealers lot too long before being sold...but I don't know if that is a fact.

My truck was parked for about two years while I had the engine out of it. I just got it back together and started working the truck again and the turbo started sticking on it the first time I threw a load behind it.

Hopefully the experts will chime in here.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Found the problem!!!
When I took the EGR valve out and cleaned it, I noticed that it would not shut all the way...still had a very small gap. Put in a new valve and it cleared up the problem.
I now get boost at low rpm's and no more black smoke.
I did not get any codes for this problem on my Scan Gauge
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Excellent! Glad you found it and it was inexpensive. Thanks for posting the result...it will help others down the road that read this.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:01 AM

My Photos: (6)
Glad you found your issue... Yesterday, I swapped in a new MAP sensor, did another KAM Reset using AE (first attempt resulted in an error logged) followed by a "drive cycle"... No improvement, still no low end Boost, lots of black smoke on acceleration, etc... I checked my CAC boots again and don't see anything there, as well as checked my air filter which is clean... I guess at this point, it's either a cracked Intercooler (stock) or possibly the MAF sensor in the air intake tube... I've pretty much ruled out the Turbo vanes as after the KAM reset, I can hear the engine exhaust note change in unison with watching the VGT duty cycle change from 84 down to 15, then back up, as the VGT Relearn process is going on.... Also, while driving, I can watch the VGT duty range using the Scangauge II on the Dash...

** SMD '04 F250 6.0 CC King Ranch, '14 F350 6.7 Lariat CC **
Original engine grenaded @ 31,000 miles..! Replacement engine DIY bulletproofed, Gen 4 Injectors, 58V FICM, Blue Spring, IPR Remote Oil Cooler/Coolant Filter, ARP studs, DC Power 270 Amp Alt, BD billet H2O pump, CCV catch can, MBRP Duals, 2 blown Turbos currently running a Garrett, DR Edge 8.5" hybrid lift w/ 5" rear leafs, 37x13.5x17 Swamper M16's, Draw-Tite portable winch mount, WARN xD9000i, WARN Pocket Flares w/ Durabak, 4.56's w/ F&R ARB's, Dynatrac Dana 60 35 spline stubs, Powerslot Cryos/Hawk LTS, Yukon Hardcore 35 spline hubs, 2" wheel spacers,

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:17 AM

stevedunham, when mine split a boot it was on the hot side right up against the intercooler on the bottom. You could not even tell by looking or even feel. The only way I knew was that it was still a small enough split to build some boost so you could actually hear the leak. The best way to check the IC boots is to remove the tube and flex the boots by hand.

White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab elbow, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, DCPower 185a alternator, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:36 PM

I went through this a couple weeks ago right after I had the turbo cleaned and had unison ring replaced, that solved by over boost/erratic boost condition. Still low on power and black smoke though and getting worse on sudden acceleration, like pulling away from stop signs etc. I replaced the MAP, EBP, and cleaned out the tube that was blocked...no improvement.

Used AE to review EGR performance and found the actual was lagging requested. Grabbed another EGR valve I had laying around, and presto...power returned, no more smoke.

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 AM

Anytime a component on one of these trucks is changed the PCM needs to be reset. The best way to insure a reset is to pull the number 10 fuse in the underhood fuse box for 20 seconds(05 and up) with the ignition off. On earlier trucks I am not sure of the number or location, but the fuse will be labeled PCM or KAM memory keep alive.This eliminates the need to disconnect batteries. Most code readers/reset will not do a complete reset. Also by component I mean anything from a blue spring mod, sensor change or clean(EGR), air filter, or exhaust component.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM

My issue turned out to be a blown Intercooler as diagnosed by pressurizing the Turbo Intake with 10 PSI of air using a rubber plumbing cap with air nozzle inserted... I found the Hot side of the Intercooler had a deformed plastic end tank crimp, and the little telltale Orange gasket sticking out from the deformed area... I replace the Intercooler with a Mishimoto and also replaced the CAC Tubes, Boots and clamps too... I was hopeful this would FINALY solve my issues but that is NOT the case... While I did see some lowering of EGT's under certain driving circumstances, I am still blowing lots of LOW RPM Black smoke, have no Boost until 2k RPM, am still seeing EGT's in the 1200+ range when towing an 8k load, and am now thinking my Turbo needs cleaning, again... I did the KAM reset (a dozen times or so now) using AE, which reported "successful"... The VGT relearn does seem to work as on fire up I can monitor the VGT Vanes open and close ( 15 - 85 on the Scangauge II and in AE when monitoring) but problems still persist and I'm pretty much fed up with this years-long-saga at this point... Oh, and I'm now blowing the CAC boots off the Intake Elbow at 15 PSI which is a problem I never had with stock boots...
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Steve: I assume you degreased the pipe and boot with brakeclean or alcohol before you installed. Did you get new clamps? The torque spec is pretty low on them, I think about 9lbs.

Also, have you commanded the turbo open and closed with AE? Did you get much of a change from it? It should be very noticeable.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in