No start, P2623 code - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor
  • 1 Post By steve9501

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start, P2623 code

So a few months ago I posted on here with a low cylinder balance on #8, loss of power and smoking. A couple of weeks ago I finally got the time and money together and replaced the injector on cylinder #8. I changed oil and filter and both fuel filters. After that the truck ran better than it has in a while. No smoke and plenty of power.
This is on a 2005 F350 6.0.
Today I drove across town and shut the truck off for a half hour or so. I got in it to start it, when I turned the key on I heard the typical buzzing noise. Waited for the glow plug light to go out and cranked the engine. Usually after 2 or 3 seconds of cranking the engine I can hear a clicking noise start then the engine starts and runs. Today no clicking and no start. The engine was turning over fast, the batteries were strong. Towed the truck home and plugged in my laptop with forescan. The only code that came up was P2623. I cleared the codes, turned the key off and back on, cranked the engine and the code came back right away.
So, what is my next step? It has been running great and starting fine except a day or two ago. I went to start it after driving to the store and it wouldn't start at first. I shut the key off and cycled it again and it started. Other than that one time it has been starting and running fine. Now today it started fine, drove fine now wont start.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:10 AM

These ones are difficult to diagnose. I'm trying to associate your problems with the injector replacement and I can't find the link. Maybe others will chime in and disagree with me but i've never seen a injector problem that caused random and intermittent no-starts. Let me give it some more thought and get back to you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I don't know, today it started fine. Oil pressure was running normal, I am going to do more checking to see if anything else pops up to give some clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:58 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
P2623 is an IPR circuit code and a fault there will cause a no start concern. Since you were just working on cylinder #8 which is right near the IPR my bet is on the wiring - most likely the connector is not fully seated and latched on.

If not, the easy testing is to perform a visual inspection of the harness and IPR connector making sure it is full seated and latched, the pins in the connector are in good condition. The IPR should have B+ at all times with the ignition on. The IPR itself can be checked with an ohm meter - resistance should be between 3 and 15 ohms. If you want to test the IPR circuits,

• the Yellow and red wire at the IPR is Pin 2 at the PCM connector E
  • the red wire at the IPR is powered from fuse F2.22 in the Instrument panel fuse box.
Test both wires for continuity with the batteries disconnected while wiggling and bending the harness, test both for shorts to ground, shorts to each other and then test the yellow and red wire for short to power with the batteries connected, ignition on and the IPR disconnected. My experience is that this code is quite rare and usually points toward a bad IPR. I have only seen them fail when hot causing a no start that resolves when the engine cools some.
ozhoo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you much for the information!
I will check the connection as soon as I get a chance.
I did change the #8 injector, which ended up being a fairly easy fix. The truck had a bad misfire and was bellowing black smoke at idle, so as soon as I saw that I shut it down and parked it until I could change the injector. I got it fixed, cycled the starter a handful of times with the wire on the passenger side to prime the oil rail. Turned the key and it started right away, a few seconds longer crank than usual but not what I expected. Once it warmed up it started puffing grey smoke, leaving a trail behind me so I quit driving it again figuring I messed something up. Talking with a friend we decided that maybe the stuck injector had coated the exhaust with diesel and that was burning off. I took it for a few miles on the highway and it cleared right up. I put about 50 miles on it over the next week and everything was running great! The first 2 or 3 times starting it after the injector it cranked a second or two longer than normal, but that cleared up after a 10 mile drive. I put probably 50 miles on it over the next week. Once it did crank a long time and took two tries before it started, but it did well again for a few days.
The other day I drove it about 5 blocks to the parts store, ran inside to pick up a new degas container I had ordered. I left it run while I was inside, about 5 minutes, then I drover 4 blocks to where my son was doing some mowing. I shut it off for about 20 minutes, went to start it and it just cranked. Got it towed home and plugged it in to my computer with forscan. Before I did that I cleaned the battery posts and checked voltage in each battery. I had the low voltage issue a year or two ago causing a no start.
I checked the numbers on forscan and found I had 48 volts to the ficm so ruled that out. Here are the numbers I got, not sure if it is all what I need.
Key on, engine off,
FICM lpwr volt 12
FICM mpwr volt 48
FICM vpwr volt 12
FICM sync no
ICP Volt 23
ICP KPA 0.0
IPR 14.48

I got the fault code so stopped there. I was running behind so I didn't write down the numbers for the crank no start. From memory everything was the same as key on engine off except the ficm sync said yes, IPR said 85. I do not remember what I was getting for ICP, but believe it was below 500.

The next morning I turned the key to gather the numbers I had missed. The engine cranked and started like nothing was wrong. I shut it off and restarted it a few times, it started and ran. So I let it idle for 20 minutes, shut it off and it wouldn't start. Again I don't remember all of the numbers but do know the IPR was at 85.

I let it sit 15 minutes and it started again. I cleared the trouble code, and it stayed cleared. I ran a check again,
with the engine running
ICP Volt .82
ICP kpa 4000
IPR 24.6
ficm 48
ficm sync yes

Since then I have been driving it, and it has been fine. No starting issues. I haven't left town with it just in case. I need to go on a 200 mile road trip next weekend but I am too afraid to take the pickup in case it leaves us stranded!
Is it possible to change the IPR without the special socket? It looks like a fairly easy repair once I decide if that is the problem. I will check all of the wiring tomorrow to make sure it isn't something simple. I have seen many times where a loose connection or a small short in a wire can give off some strange symptoms!
Any input on my numbers posted would be appreciated, or if I have missed checking something. I did finally figure out how to change my forescan from metric to normal, so the JPA now reads PSI. According to Google conversion 4000 kpa equals about 580 psi. Once I switched it to Impeerial from Metric it was showing 500 psi. Not sure what it showed on the crank no start, I did not write it down. I did save the data in forscan so maybe I can replay it if it would help.
Thanks again!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9501 View Post
I got the fault code so stopped there. I was running behind so I didn't write down the numbers for the crank no start. From memory everything was the same as key on engine off except the ficm sync said yes, IPR said 85. I do not remember what I was getting for ICP, but believe it was below 500.

This is consistent with an IPR fault... or a high pressure leak allowing the system to lose prime when shut down. There are probably hundreds of threads on this.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.
I will follow your advice from above and see how it goes from there. Also I think I will do more research here for posts on this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I have not had time to get to the shop to work on the pickup yet. Last week I drove it to town, 100 mile round trip, and everything ran fine. I shut it off and started it several times, each time it started right up no problems.
Friday I was driving down the highway, after about 45 miles it just shut off. Driving along and it was like turning the key off. It would crank but not start, and I didn't hear the injector clatter that I usually hear when it gets ready to start. Let it sit about 20 minutes and it restarted and ran fine. Made it another 10 miles and it shut down again. I got it towed the rest of the way to where we were going, let it sit 3 or 4 hours and started it. It ran fine all the way home. I haven't had time to check the codes again to see if it tells me anything, the check engine light is not on.
Would that still be consistent with the IPR valve? I am considering just ordering one and changing it to see if it helps.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the advice! Changed the IPR and so far it has been good. Have driven close to 900 miles pulling heavy trailers for half of that and so far no problems.
ford_doctor likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 AM

Garage
Thank you for the update! Glad to hear you were successful.

Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in