No tow haul light, maybe no tow haul - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question No tow haul light, maybe no tow haul

I have a SRD '05 XLT 6.0. Everything was working fine until I hooked up to a trailer that had a dead short due to mice eating the insulation on the wires for the lights. The number 9 20a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box blew (trailer turn signal). I disconnected the trailer and replaced the fuse. When I moved the truck I noticed the tow/haul light no longer worked. I cannot tell if the tranny goes into tow/haul or not. I suspect it does not because the shift pattern seems unchanged.
I pulled the codes and found one for a dead short to Vbattery which I thought made sense. I replaced the 7 blade connector and cleared the code. Upon rechecking there are no codes showing.

I have done the following in an attempt to fix the tow/haul issue:
Replaced the gear shift lever with a new one
Checked all the fuses and relays
Changed the indicator bulb for the air bag - it is the only one close to where the tow/haul indicator is

Still no light or perhaps tow/haul.

Where is the light that illuminates the tow/haul indicator? Is it hard wired into the cluster?
What other things should I be looking at?

I have rewired the trailer and would like to use it but I need the tow/haul to function. The trailer is a 10 ton grapple unit for hauling logs.

One other thing that may have some bearing on the tow/haul issue - I discovered that the e brake dust shield on the right rear tire had rusted through and the shoe was dragging on the hub, creating a lot of heat. The boot on the caliper was torn and there was some rust on the piston. I replaced the dust shield and the brake caliper and rectified the situation but I wonder if the brake had been dragging for some time and putting a strain on the tranny.

2005 F-350 XLT 4x4 SRW Reg Cab long bed 6.0PS tow command
1986 F-250 4x4 woods truck - well broke in 460 gas, they can hear the sucking sound all the way to Texas!
1989 F-250 XLT 4x4 SRW 7.3 IDI soon to replace the '86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry, I forgot to mention this is an F350.

2005 F-350 XLT 4x4 SRW Reg Cab long bed 6.0PS tow command
1986 F-250 4x4 woods truck - well broke in 460 gas, they can hear the sucking sound all the way to Texas!
1989 F-250 XLT 4x4 SRW 7.3 IDI soon to replace the '86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in