Non-Start Issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bgiebels Send a message via MSN to bgiebels Send a message via Skype™ to bgiebels
Non-Start Issue

So I just replaced the following parts on my 2005 F350:
4 injectors (2, 4, 6, 8)
IPR

After fighting a non-start I took a fuel pressure reading and found I had no fuel pressure (bad fuel pump).

Replaced the Fuel Pump and installed the blue spring upgrade with adjuster, I now have 60PSI.

Still no start.

I have the Torque Pro App and took the following readings while cranking:
FICM Logic Power = 47.5
ICP Pressure: Over 500
ICP Voltage: .3
FICM Sync: 1
IPR: 83%
FICM V: 48v

I've got the AutoEnginuity Package with Ford Expansion coming this Tuesday. I'll do a BUZZ test on it to see if every injector is operational. I can hear it kick off when I first turn the key to the on position, but not starting it and it sounds good. I'm afraid I may have welded some of the injectors shut while trying to start it without any fuel pumping...

Anything else I should run once I get the AE tester?

Thanks,

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • Sinister Diesel EGR Delete
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter Kit
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM

ICP voltage indicates you really don't have ICP pressure (or the ICP sensor is bad).

0.3v is essentially the zero point.

0.8v (approximately) is the voltage that corresponds to 500 psig.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bgiebels Send a message via MSN to bgiebels Send a message via Skype™ to bgiebels
hmmm, that is going to suck balls Bismic…

I'm going to check the voltage at the icp sensor to see what it is there as opposed to using the torque pro measurement. See if that tells me something different. The Torque pro app takes a while to update while you're cranking and I think the ICP voltage is a calculation you have to enter into the application. while I think I did this correctly, I don't want to rely on that too much.

Thanks for the information... I'll get back to you on the reading I get.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM

I assume you know this but just in case, you can check the ICP sensor just by unplugging it. Check your base oil pressure first - do an extended crank and make sure the dummy gauge comes alive. If you've got base oil pressure just pull the connector on the ICP and see if it starts. I'm gonna guess it won't because I don't think you've got high pressure oil but you won't hurt anything by trying it.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 PM

The IPR is at 83%, so it looks like an issue in the HPO system.

Have you tried starting w/ the ICP unplugged?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

I haven't, would that work if the ICP was bad?

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:14 PM

That is why you do it (to take a bad ICP out of the picture). It will start on estimated values that the PCM will provide in the absence of a signal, assuming everything else is in good working order.

Mark
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Well, I unplugged it... No Joy! Still didn't start. Looks like I'm going to have a few hours of work once my hernia surgery heals up. I'm not sure what the cost of repair on that would be if someone else did it.. I guess I should check. Maybe it's worth it at this point. After I do the BUZZ test on Tuesday/Wednesday this week I'll make a decision on if I'm going to do the repair or have Ford do it.

Thanks Bismic!

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Yep, do have base oil pressure. Just not ICP.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Look at the cheap stuff first. Pull the IPR and see if the screen is damaged. If it is look for crud inside the valve. Crud or a bad IPR could cause your symptoms.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I've already replaced the IPR. I will say the old IPR didn't look like it was clogged or had any damage.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:53 PM

Sorry - I missed that you had replaced the IPR - its right there in front of me in your first post.

Have you pressure tested the HP rails?

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I haven't pressure tested the HP rails.

This all started about 4 weeks ago when we hit -30 here in Iowa. I found the #6 injector was bad and I changed that and it started up an ran great. I drove it about 45 miles and it started running bad again. I let the Ford Dealership look at it and they found injectors 2 and 4 were also going bad and suggested I put a new Fuel Pressure Regulator on it. I decided to go ahead and replace the IPR at the same time. So I replaced the following last weekend.

Injectors 2, 4, & 8 (Already replaced #6 the weekend before).
IPR
Fuel Pressure Regulator Blue Spring Kit
Fuel Pump, after I found the fuel pump wasn't working.
Air Cleaner

I'm finding it hard to imagine that the rails would cause a no start, when cold, issue as they normally affect hot starts, right?

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

But it is possible, I guess. and I'm assuming to repair the rail leaks is substantially cheaper than the ~800 to fix the HPOP.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Its not the rails themselves you are testing. You've got no high pressure oil. That could be from a stuck IPR which is likely ruled out. It could be from a bad HPOP which would be expensive so we'd like to come to that last. Dieseltech Ron says a bad HPOP is pretty unlikely on the 2nd gen 6.0 litre but if you end up at a stealership they may just want to throw parts at you. No HP oil could be from a broken branch tube which would be a huge PITA and probably isn't likely given what you've done but it is possible. It could be from a leaky STC fitting. It could be from bad dummy plug(s) or standpipes (which is actually pretty likely). Its unlikely you've got enough injector cups leaking to keep it from starting at all but that's another possible leak point. If you're going to diagnose as opposed to chucking parts at it then you need to start with an air test.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in