Non-Start Issue - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:41 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For your 05, the most likely issues are the STC fitting if it is still original, and/or the dummy plugs if they are still original. The dummy plugs can be bad enough to cause a cold no-start. definitely the STC fitting can.

The 05 and up HPOPs do fail occasionally, but certainly not at a great frequency. The branch tubes are highly unlikely to be a problem.

IMO, it is time to leak test the HPO system w/ shop air.

Listen at the oil fill tube and CCV vent opening for the specific oil rail component leaks. Leaks at both would indicate an STC fitting issue IMO.

Listen at the turbo oil drain and the oil filter housing (filter removed) for a failed HPOP.

Since you had fuel pump issues, you should anticipate replacing the passenger injectors at some point in the future.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 03-10-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to bgiebels Send a message via MSN to bgiebels Send a message via Skype™ to bgiebels
So I had surgery and haven't been able to work on my truck... until today.

I go out, drag my air hose to my truck, get my extension cords laid out, go to take out the ICP to install the test fitting. I put the socket and ratchet on the ICP, give it a little pressure, and do you know what happens? The ICP came apart...

Any advice on how to get the rest of the ICP out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_130347.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	126872  

Name:	20190317_130357.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	126874  

Name:	20190317_130349.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	126876  

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • Sinister Diesel EGR Delete
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter Kit
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:35 PM

You may have to pull the valve cover to get access to some remaining portion of that sensor!

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM

I wouldn't presume to argue with Bismic but you may not need to pull the valve cover. If you have a square easy out that just barely fits in what's left of that sender it should come out easily. Its an ORB fitting so its not really all that tight.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bgiebels Send a message via MSN to bgiebels Send a message via Skype™ to bgiebels
I think I'll give that a try Bob... Unless Bismic would come back and tell me "no way" for some reason. I was kinda thinking about that but didn't know if I could damage the rest of the sensor enough to possibly drop pieces into engine somehow.

I'll wait for a little before going at it to see if anyone indicates that's a bad idea.

Thanks,

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I don't think that will work... the part that is still in, is the "male" part that would go into what the picture shows above, as the female part. Unless you're indicating I should somehow pull that part out?

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:04 PM

If you've got something sticking out of the valve cover that you can get hold of just put a vice grips on it and take it out.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:39 PM

Sometimes a needle-nose vise grip can get in a tight spot and have more room to rotate than a standard vise-grip and if the needle-nose is still too big then You may have to pull the valve cover to get access to some remaining portion of that sensor!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-17-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I wouldn't presume to argue with Bismic but you may not need to pull the valve cover. If you have a square easy out that just barely fits in what's left of that sender it should come out easily. Its an ORB fitting so its not really all that tight.

We are all here to help! If it looks like he can get some bite, then go for it, but IIRC the opening on that bottom portion isn't very big. Even so, maybe you could get a small EZ-out in it.

The way the valve cover is "indented" for the sensor (and the way the break appears), it looks to me like it would be tough to get a hold of what is left in. I do think (hope) that you could get a bite on the threads w/ vise grips w/ the valve cover off.

If the valve cover is pulled, then be very careful for sure - spread out some paper or cellophane to catch any small parts that may come off (if there are any).

My concern was that it was put on too tightly, otherwise it shouldn't have come apart. Maybe it was a defective part though.

Please keep us informed.

Mark

Last edited by bismic; 03-17-2019 at 09:23 PM.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 PM

You know, the more I think about an EZ-out, the more I don't like it. It always seems to generate shavings and you don't want metal shavings (even small ones) dropping through the sensor hole - at least I wouldn't.

Mark
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

That was my original concern as well. I wonder if there is away to alleviate that concern? I imagine, when I try to get a hold of the plastic male part, it may break as well but I'm assuming the sensor hole isn't extremely large and those pieces won't likely fall through. Then if the rest of the sensor, minus the metal housing, can be pulled out, maybe I'll be able to put some type of putty or lock tight type of stuff to stop anything, shavings, from dropping through when using the easy out?

BTW - I just did a Buzz Test using the AutoEnginuity tool. It was successful. Does the success of that test indicate the nozzles are actually opening or is it just the poppets? I've seen someone indicate that trying to start the engine, while the fuel pump was not operational, could cause the injector nozzles to "Weld" themselves together. I'm not sure how long you'd have to crank something for them to get that hot.

Thanks everyone! I really do like the idea of using the cellophane to cover everything if/when I take the valve cover off to get to the ICP.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok, what I finally decided to do was to buy an Oil Rail and just replace it instead of trying to get the ICP out. I think now that I have the rail out, I can use a pair of pliers to get the ICP out too. Not that anyone needs an extra oil rail laying around but at least it's not garbage.

Having said that: I put new cups on the used oil rail I purchased and installed it into the truck. I also put new stand pipe and dummy plug in. I installed the air test fitting and used my AutoEnginuity to close the IPR and the first test run I wasn't able to hear any air leaking whatsoever... I found that to be odd but ok. No air out of the Oil Filter reservoir when the IPR was set at 100%. I will say I didn't here any difference between IPR at 0% and IPR at 100%. So I'm not even sure the AutoEnginuity actuation even worked. I thought I'd be able to hear the IPR click shut but I'm not sure... Maybe someone can let me know if I should be able to.

Regardless, if I'm not hearing, or seeing any bubbling, from the oil filter reservoir, that would indicate the HPOP is not leaking but would it indicate that it is good?

I pulled the air hose off the fitting and put it back on again and I started hearing air leaking from the passenger side rail area. Not sure why it didn't show up the first time. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where until I got a piece of 3/8" clear hose and put one end in my ear and moved the other end around the rail to pinpoint where it was coming from. I found the leak to be coming from the #3 injector area.

Now my question is... can an injector be so bad as to let pressure through? I know there is a rubber seal at the top of the injector that could be damaged, right? But outside of that, could an injector be bad elsewhere and allow leaking?

I figure it's either the cup seal (which I just replaced brand new) or the injector or injector seal.

Would you suggest replacing the seal on the injector before moving forward or is it safe to say I need to replace the injector itself?

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Sometimes in an air test it takes a while to push the oil out of the system before you hear a leak. You hear the click when air is first flowing through the IPR and then it is closed.

The top injector seal is a common place to leak. It is somewhat tricky to replace. You have to make sure the snap ring doesn't drop down into the engine, so I would only recommend changing it out with the injector removed (so you will need to re-seal it).

There are youtube videos showing it.

Mark
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bismic, I'll get the seal kit and replace it tonight to see how the air test performs again.

One other question. I'm assuming I should hear air until the IPR is closed, right?
Thanks,

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:11 AM

With the IPR open the air leak is internal to the HPOP so its harder to hear but you can still hear it. FWIW, Forscan won't let me use 100% as the IPR duty cycle - 99 is OK but 100 is no go. Auto Enginuity may be different.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in