The Diesel Stop banner

Oil temp too high????

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  steve9501 
#1 ·
So, today I was pulling our camper home. The truck is a 2005 F350, 6.0. We were pulling up a steady grade, not steep but steady. Pulling into a 20mph headwind, so the truck was working but not pulling hard. The outside temp was right at 80 degrees. About 10 minutes into the trip my windshield got covered with antifreeze coming from under the left front corner of the hood. I slowed down and started looking for a safe place to get pulled over, but then the antifreeze stopped spraying out. I continued on watching the water temp close, it got up to 225 and stayed between 225 and 220, but the oil temp continued to climb up to around 240 to 245. I made it about 20 miles to a Wal Mart were we stopped and checked things out. I found that either the top radiator hose is leaking or I have a small hole in the radiator next to the hose fitting. I could see some steam and bubbles coming from the radiator, but I could not find a hole. The side of the truck, hood, windshield and engine were covered in antifreeze, but I could not see where it came from. So we went inside and let the truck cool down for an hour or two. I refilled the radiator with water and we hit the road again. It was right at 1 gallon low, so one gallon of water filled the tank to the minimum mark. About 5 miles down the road the oil temp started to climb fast. By the time we went 10 miles the oil temp was running 260 and the water temp was holding at 220. I slowed down and found another place to stop. A couple of times during the drive I had some antifreeze blow out onto my windshield, mostly just enough to make a mess. I made it about 35 miles to a family members house, stopping a few times to let things cool down. I got there and let it cool down the refilled with water again. This time it took 1 and a half gallons of water to bring the radiator up to the max line, so again about a gallon low. Let it cool down and hit the road again to try to get home. This time we made it 10 miles and the oil temp started climbing again. It got up to 240 while the water temp stayed down around 212. I stopped at my parents house and dropped the camper off, then came home with just the truck. On the 85 mile drive home the oil temp stayed right at 212 and the water temp ran about 180. The temp outside had dropped to about 65 and I kept the speed at 55. When I pushed it up to 65 mph the oil temp started going up, but the water temp stayed down.
Prior to today the water temp and oil temp are usually within 10 to 15 degrees of each other.
So, what could be the cause of this, how do I fix it and what parts do I need? I used to be a mechanic and now frequently work on cars, so I know my way around a ratchet but have never done much work on diesels. I have owned this truck for about 9 months. It has 240,000 miles on it, and as far as I can tell still has the factory EGR system in place. The antifreeze is orange or yellow if that makes any difference.

See less See more
#4 ·
Today I had to do some running around town with the pickup. I went a couple of miles, all 25mph or under with a few stops in between. I left the truck run at every stop, 10 minutes or so at a time. The oil temp was running right at 10 degrees higher than the water temp.
When I got home I found a 2 inch long crack in the radiator seeping water.
So, what are the odds that I am just a little low on water? If I flush the system and refill with a different antifreeze how likely is that to solve my problem with the oil temps?

#7 ·
That's cool Tregrad, I spent some time researching and have found most of the answers I need. I am not sure if it is right or not, but I replaced the oil cooler. I really thought about replacing the radiator and driving it to see if it was good, but as soon as I get it running again we will go get our camper and pull it somewhere. I don't need to risk another breakdown hours from home with my family in the truck. So, I spent the money for an oil cooler from Ford.
I got the new radiator in today, and took it right back to the parts store. It had a big hole in it and one side was crushed. I think someone in shipping must have had a bad day. New one will be here Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.