The Diesel Stop banner

Over Boosting 6.0

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  droberts101@msn.com 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 1 ton dwd with 6.0. I am having an issue with over boosting and is to be causing High EGT. At 70 mph the boost is at 20 lbs of boost and EGt is 1100 degrees. Cruising at 2000 RPM is has 900 degrees plus and over 10 pounds of boost. I have pulled turbo and clean and the vanes function correctly. I replaced the VGT solenoid and it help a little. I have replace MAP sensor and made vac line was clean. I am stumped at this time and looking for advise.

#4 ·
I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. There are no grades here. Before this started I would cruise at 8lbs of boost and EGT would be around 700. There are no tunes except 40 HP FICM tune that I have been running for 5 years with no problem. The motor is fully Bullet Proofed and there are no head gasket or injection issues.

#6 ·
Since there is no official definition for "bulletproofed". Could you be more specific? Do you mean that your EGR is deleted? If so, what kind of delete do you have? I assume it has head studs. How about the exhaust? Stock? Still have the Cat?

#7 ·
EGR delete, Bpd remote oil cooler, and arp studs. this is an 03 and I have the Dieselsite high volume high pressure pump, BPD replacement fan. Plus many additional mods for reliability.

I am not not getting any readings on Scangauge for BARO. Does anyone know there the sensor is located in a 2003.

Thanks for any help

#8 ·
The Baro is under the dash on the drivers side.

#9 ·
On your scangauge ----
Barometric Pressure (PSI)
TXD: 07E0221442
RXF: 046285140642
RXD: 3010
MTH: 001D0050000
NAM: BAR

#11 ·
Do you still have a catalytic converter?

#13 ·
I can't imagine one w/ the CAT removed.

#15 · (Edited)
If his 03 has the inferred EBP flash (and I would bet almost all of the 03's have it by now), then it doesn't use the EBP. It is also called Field Service Action 06E17 and it came out in 2006 for the 03 and early 04 (w/ 03 engine) trucks.

That said, it is something free to try and has bitten a lot of people.

http://www.flatratetech.com/downloads/diesel_8.pdf

With the flash, Exhaust Backpressure is now “Inferred” through MAF, MAP, BARO, and EOT (and proper operation of these sensors and the VGT actuator) is critical.

#19 ·
When you say you "lost the link cable", did you lose the whole ALDL adapter (the box) or just the little cable that runs from the box to your laptop?

If it's just the cable, it's a "mini USB to USB type A" like this one:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH11N5A/ref=asc_df_B00NH11N5A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167140037427&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3819132158666528000&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021047&hvtargid=aud-829758849484:pla-180965277412&psc=1[/ame]

I'm also interested to know what the outcome of this problem is. My buddy just bought a 2007 F550 and his is showing about 20PSI on the Interstate and over boosting to CEL going up grades.

Got a lot of good suggestions from Mark (bismic) that I'll try out when I get a chance but I'll be watching this thread as well.

#22 ·
VGT running in 80% range is your problem.

#25 ·
So this is a 2003 model year truck, has deletes and a tune. Since I know nothing about what aftermarket tuners do to the PCM strategy I am attaching two documents to help assess what you have here and where to go. Reference the Inferred EBP PID list and access the PIDs in your PCM to see if the ones listed exist. If they do, your tune is based on the inferred EBP tune. If not, your PCM strategy will rely heavily on the EBP sensor input. and the MAP sensor. If the PIDS are present and active then reference the Inferred EFP Functional Overview attachment for information on how it functions to begin determining what is happening.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.