Please Help a Vet, trans trouble - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Help a Vet, trans trouble

Hi Everybody, I have a 2003 ford f 250 super duty, 4x4
The thing is, I had the oil pan changed yesterday, before I took it there it would shift perfect every time I used it, for years, " NOW " I put it in D and it goes but then it starts shifting up and down and sometime it feels like it is in N cause the tack will jump way up as if I am in N racing the engine, then it goes back in gear and drive, like it don`t want to shift, they had to jack up the engine about two inches to get the old pan out and new one in, ,
I am pretty old and on S/S so not able to do to much but was just not able to understand what jacking up the engine could hurt, I checked the lines for a pinch, and checked the wire to the trans, I am lost, just hope someone has ran in to this over time Thank You all for your time, Have A Wonderful Day.

2003 Ford F 250 Super Duty 4x4 6.0 Power Stroke auto, 132,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
THe first thing to do is to check the trans fluid level. Check it with the transmission in park and the engine idling.

It should have some codes stored that will tell the story. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes. Forscan can read them, or a good independent shop, or a Ford dealer.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank You, the fluid is the very first thing I checked, it was good, Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Don't ignore the code advice. ForScan Lite is a cheap download to a smartphone.

The adapter is $35 or so (WiFi for iOS and BlueTooth for Android). I like the BAFX brand of OBDII adapter.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 AM

My Photos: (16)
Buckhunter, as Mark pointed out ForScan and an OBD2 adapter is a window into diagnosis this truck as good as the tools that cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. And with a cell phone, it's always there allowing you to monitor all the critical areas in real-time, all the time. I use it anytime I am in one of our Ford vehicles.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos Google - TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:25 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I am curious as to whether or not you have contacted the shop that JUST WORKED ON THE TRUCK? That would have been my first step as they likely disturbed or broke something in the process. It happens.
bismic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
I am curious as to whether or not you have contacted the shop that JUST WORKED ON THE TRUCK? That would have been my first step as they likely disturbed or broke something in the process. It happens.
I did first thing, they said as far as they know they did not do anything to hurt the trans, and said they don`t know if it was bad when I dropped it off. and there is no way I can prove they did something.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMTRVT View Post
Buckhunter, as Mark pointed out ForScan and an OBD2 adapter is a window into diagnosis this truck as good as the tools that cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. And with a cell phone, it's always there allowing you to monitor all the critical areas in real-time, all the time. I use it anytime I am in one of our Ford vehicles.
Thank you, one trouble with that is, as I said I am a old man and I " Still Have A Flip Phone " LOL no I really do, I am 72 and don`t understand them new phones.
Thanks for your time, I guess I will have to take it to a trans shop Monday, no telling what they wil charge. Thanks again.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:31 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter1 View Post
Thank you, one trouble with that is, as I said I am a old man and I " Still Have A Flip Phone " LOL no I really do, I am 72 and don`t understand them new phones.
Thanks for your time, I guess I will have to take it to a trans shop Monday, no telling what they wil charge. Thanks again.

The shop that did the oil pan repair should be OBLIGED to (at the very least) look at the truck to see if something went wrong with their repair. I know my dealership and I certainly would not think twice about it.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:

You've obviously got a computer or access to one. I know the nerds use their phones but I run Forscan on my laptop.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
You've obviously got a computer or access to one. I know the nerds use their phones but I run Forscan on my laptop.
Yes I have a computer, so am I right thinking your saying I just go to Forcan,com
and it will tell me what to do, OK I will try it now, Thank You.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I did first thing, they said as far as they know they did not do anything to hurt the trans, and said they don`t know if it was bad when I dropped it off. and there is no way I can prove they did something.
I would be posting bad feedback on them all over the forums and social media if they won't even take a look at it. It had only been a day since they did the work! If the lines were bent before they worked on it, they should have noticed that ...... if in fact they disconnected them to do the job. How do they even know how to respond if they don't look at it. Pretty bad service IMO. Sometimes you have to demand to have some things done.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:23 PM
RT

If you wanted to post your location, someone with a scanner might be close enough to pull the codes for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Yes I have a computer, so am I right thinking your saying I just go to Forcan,com
and it will tell me what to do, OK I will try it now, Thank You.

https://forscan.org/home.html

Forscan.ORG but yep, its that simple. You'll need some kind of an adapter to connect to your OBD port. If you check the forscan forum (accessible from their home page) there's a section devoted to adapters. I use a wired ELM clone that plugs into the OBD port and a USB port but there's Bluetooth solutions as well if your computer has Bluetooth.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Don't ignore the code advice. ForScan Lite is a cheap download to a smartphone.

The adapter is $35 or so (WiFi for iOS and BlueTooth for Android). I like the BAFX brand of OBDII adapter.
Mark,

Can you run a Buzz test from the Forscan lite smart phone app with the OBDII connector?

I've got AutoEnginuity on my laptop and I like it a lot but I figured it would be nice to have something smaller/more mobile to take on road trips.

I've already downloaded Forscan lite and purchased the BAFX OBDII adapter. I just loaded some PID's and it seems like a robust app but I just can't see where you can run the buzz test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in