Purchasing a FICM - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Purchasing a FICM

Stay away from Autoecu.com - you'll not get what you think you will and when you return it, they hold your refund for 6 weeks+.

We have a problem with a 2003 6.0 - absolutely everything has been checked, we have followed Ford's diagnostic guide for repair, had multiple Ford mechanics look at it along with our own work and no one has been able to come up with an answer. This truck ran fine until mid-July, then just up and refused to start. There is no injector rattle - none.

Honestly I would ask for ideas but we've exhausted everything and are looking for another truck at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Assume you have a scanner/gauge of some kind that reads the PCM data. Is the truck cranking but won't start?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
If there is no injector pre-cycle when turning the ignition on and the FICM power and ground circuits have what they are supposed to it is likely the FICM has failed. Your Ford dealer can sell you one that is pre-programmed and should function out of the box. What concerns me is that if I read your post you got a FICM from Auto ECU? Did it work? If no pre-cycle exists you could also have a shorted injector or injector harness which WILL take down the module and cause your problem. The harnesses on 2003 6.0L engines were a HIGH failure rate item and the harness was updated to resolve the issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 09-15-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

We have gone through the entire harness assembly (what a mess), fixed a couple of minor issues and verified every lead in it at 100% connectivity except of course for the ones that connected to harness shielding. The FICM was not the issue and upon returning it, we knew about their 30 day refund policy which we were okay with initially. But how long does it take AFTER the returned unit is deemed A-OK within a couple of days of arrival and paperwork is submitted to accounting? It reached a point after 40+ days that I called them out on it - basically they were just holding funds to collect interest on the monies. That's a garbage way to run a business and I suggest that everyone stay away from the outfit. Plus the FICM that we received looked like it had been through the blender so my take is that if you do not purchase one of their premium units, you get whatever they want to send you.

We are looking at a newer truck tomorrow evening so might just give up on this one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:30 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
You are lucky they offer refunds. Any module that I have taken from the parts counter is non-returnable once the box is opened or it is plugged in.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
You are lucky they offer refunds. Any module that I have taken from the parts counter is non-returnable once the box is opened or it is plugged in.

Nothing lucky about it - we wouldn't have bought the part if there wasn't a return policy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:35 PM

What he is saying is that you are lucky ANYONE offers returns on electronic components.

I loaned a FICM out once. Came back a mess. The power board was completely burned up. No offer of apology, let alone a mention of compensation.

Most people just don't know what they are doing.

IMO it is a poor business practice to take back electrical and electronic components.
bobofthenorth and ford_doctor like this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Maybe so, but again we wouldn't have made an online purchase for a rebuilt, overhauled or whatever piece without a return policy. Problem is, they misuse it and if I can keep one person from making a purchase from them - then mission accomplished. Lousy businesses need to go away in my opinion.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:30 AM

Again - if you do business w/ a company that takes electronics back, they will make up for their losses one way or another.

I agree - stay away from those companies in the first place. People return garbage, so the next guy gets garbage. You don't get things for free very often in this world. In the overall scheme of things 10-15 extra days is nothing.

Have you verified you are getting cam/crank sync when cranking?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 09-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes we have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in