Running rough when warm, won't restart, no throttle. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running rough when warm, won't restart, no throttle.

Title doesn't say it all. So I have done some work to my truck and I will get into that in a minute, but now I have an issue with it will start decent cold and runs okay until the ECT and EOT reach about 130 degrees and then it will continue to run but runs rough sounds like a miss, no throttle response, no power in drive when hot, no smoke, and no codes. It has stalled out on me. I have unpligged the icp to no avail, sometimes it will restart other times it won't even with the icp unplugged. Now the kicker is if I rev it up to 2k rpms in park it runs like a beast and all the issues go away. Then it returns to idle and the problems are back. I am at a loss racking my brain here.

What I have done:

So this all started with a cyl 3 contribution code, I fixed that with a new pushrod. I removed all the injectors and cleaned the spool valves and resealed all 8 injectors, did new nipple cups and o rings, new stand pipes and dummy plugs. I have pull the valve covers off and checked my torque for my bolts and stand pipes and dummy plugs. Checked my fuel bowl for bubbles and I have none.
Monitoring everything with the torque pro app, I will attach screenshots and try to explain them, I also have video showing what it's doing.

So the pictures show one revving up to ~2k rpms, one hot idle maybe two, and one right when it gets to running rough.

I would be happy to do more diagnostic stuff but I have the turbo off (just cleaned it up), ipr valve off (had remnants of Dorman gasket on the screen) waiting to get a new screen, ebp valve and tube off just cleaned those out.

Details about the truck:
Its an 04.5
Oil cooler and egr delete from XDP Jan. 2018
New Degas bottle
Blue spring upgrade recently
Found out FICM and driver side bank of injectors were replaced with remans
Turbo is a reman
Rebuilt turbo 2 years ago
Replaced all filters when I bought it with OEM motorcraft and that is all I buy and use
I think that is all

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 04goldford60; 03-19-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Was looking through the screenshots and found some anomalies. The ICP voltage doesn't seem like it's matching the pressure and rpms. And the engine load and vgt duty cycle seem high at idle.

Almost forgot the video

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 PM

Did you ever find the solution? I'm looking at a very similar problem with my 07 F550. Mine is really hard to start but it will get there and has FICM main power voltage above 45. I was suspecting FICM because mine happened all of the suddnen and just runs terrible now with little to no power.

Would love to know what your solution was or what you're suspecting!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did you ever find the solution? I'm looking at a very similar problem with my 07 F550. Mine is really hard to start but it will get there and has FICM main power voltage above 45. I was suspecting FICM because mine happened all of the suddnen and just runs terrible now with little to no power.

Would love to know what your solution was or what you're suspecting!?
So for me I had torn into the oil rails again last weekend and found out I had a dummy plug with a broken plastic ring which possibly was causing some issues.

What had solved the problem so far was I bought a new ficm harness because I noticed one of my clips into the ficm from that harness was broken (see pictures) and that allowed it to move, found that being frustrated and doing a wiggle test. I wiggled it and it sounded like it was about to die so I wiggled it back and ordered a new one. Also notice one of the injector plugs had oil on it.

Installed the new harness and it ran rough but I had throttle and it made it all the way to operating temp, I shut it off numerous times and it started back up.

Now I had am issue of it not starting after sitting for a hour or so, I am now hunting down a fuel issue, I pulled the top filter off and I had my wife cycle the key to on to run the fuel pump and noticed that I had bubbles coming from the fuel pump line. Installed a new HFCM cap (mine was a little chewed up couldn't take it off with a socket) and then pulling the drain plug I noticed the o ring on the drain plug was a little split and kind of torn.

So that's where I am at now, trying to solve this new issue. Hope this helps you out or gives some ideas.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Anyone who has still followed this I solved my issue, I bought a set of injectors from Warren Diesel with new spool valves. Apparently a majority of my injectors were bad, listening to them buzz now is a world of difference.

I installed them 3 weeks ago and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:23 AM

I am going to add a link to your thread on the other forum (hope it is ok to do that). It is a good process of troubleshooting IMO .... even if it took awhile. You addressed quite a few issues!!

https://www.superdutydiesel.com/thre...t-start.32014/

Thanks for the summary in the previous 2 posts!

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in