Running terrible after negative 30 temps - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bgiebels Send a message via MSN to bgiebels Send a message via Skype™ to bgiebels
Running terrible after negative 30 temps

This last week, we experienced -30 degree temps here in Iowa. I started my truck daily, with the help of a torpedo heater. The day it hit -30, I wasn't able to start it and the batteries had to be recharged. The next day, the temps came back up to -10 and I was able to get it started. I drove the truck for a good couple of hours and then it started to run a little rough and seemed to lack power. I was down to 1/4 tank of gas so I filled up and added the PowerService and 911 to the tank, as usual.

The temps, the following day warmed up more around positive 10 degrees. So I thought I'd see how it was running with the improved temps and the truck stalled, as I was pulling out onto highway 30 (runs through town). And I had to get it pulled back to the house. Yeh that sucked as I was blocking traffic for a good 20 minutes until someone came to pull me.

So I thought maybe it gelled and I needed to change the fuel filters. It was 47 today so I changed the Fuel Filters and performed an oil change. Unfortunately, no joy!

The truck starts ok, but you can tell it's "missing". I pulled it out and drove it around the block and after about a half trip around the block, it stopped producing any power and I limped it home (5 MPH max) as it couldn't build up speed/power.

I did a voltage test on the FICM and the voltage was 47+ when not running and when running. So I figured the FICM was ok (maybe not someone can correct me).

I have a tuner and found there were not any DTC codes. Also of interest, I reprogrammed the truck for "Street" tune (which it was already on) and it started and sounded much smoother. Unfortunately, that only lasted a minute or two and then it started running crappy again.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • Sinister Diesel EGR Delete
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter Kit
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:35 PM

My Photos: (8)
If your problem was fuel jelling, once the wax starts to come out of solution the fuel has to warm up quite a bit for it to go back in. Warm the truck and fuel up to 70 degrees and see if that helps. Did you find any sign of wax in the filters? Power Service can be used for jelling but you have to read/follow the instructions. Use the power service white bottle to prevent jelling when adding fuel. Your problem could also not have anything to do with the temps,
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bgiebels Send a message via MSN to bgiebels Send a message via Skype™ to bgiebels
Nope, no signs of wax in the filters, or the bowl, at all. I treat my fuel every fill up, with Power Service (white bottle) and do follow the directions. Since Iowa is now using Bio, I double the amount as is recommended.

Thanks

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiebels View Post
Nope, no signs of wax in the filters, or the bowl, at all. I treat my fuel every fill up, with Power Service (white bottle) and do follow the directions. Since Iowa is now using Bio, I double the amount as is recommended.

Thanks
I think 9-1-1 is designed to be added directly into the fuel bowl 50/50 with diesel and only when wax formation is found on the filter. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

I don’t recall reading that adding it to a full tank of fuel does any good. The double dose of white bottle is a good practice.

I see you used a torpedo heater, any chance it was too close and melted anything? Did you also plug in the block heater? I have used torpedos and they are a great tool in frigid temps but they can do damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Hi @ArcticDriver. I've seen it recommended to add it to the fuel tank and the directions on the bottle, and on their website, say the following:

"TO RELIQUEFY GELLED FUEL: Add 16 ounces of Diesel 9🯍 to each 20 gallons of fuel in the tanks. Remove fuel-filters and fill with 50% Diesel 9🯍 and 50% diesel fuel. Reinstall fuel-filters. Start engine. Let engine idle to warm up fuel system. Add Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost as directed to prevent fuel gelling."

I also read on the forums that if you don't have the primary fuel filter entirely seated it would have the same symptoms so I checked that this morning... No Joy! Everything was in place as should be. I took the drain pulg out of the primary filter housing and it drained quite a bit of, what looked like, diesel fuel out...

I'm not sure what to do next except take it to the dealership...

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

The other thing is that the directions on the bottle also call for the vehicle to warm up to operating temps... I have been hesitant in doing this simply because I don't want to ruin something...

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:26 PM

Consider installing a fuel pressure gauge after all this gets resolved. It really does help troubleshoot (and prevents a common issue w/ low pressure causing injectors to fail).

Sounds like an injector to me, but to answer an earlier (common) question, you can have a bad FICM even with good voltage.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I have the gauges but didn't have a chance to put them on this summer

You are correct, it is an injector. Sent it to the dealership and they've found #6 injector is bad. To replace that one is $1300.00 and to replace all 4 is $2000.00. I've found a youtube video which showed the replacement of the injectors. The Driver side appears to be much easier to replace so I might do that myself.

I believe the #6 is on the Drivers side (2,4,6,8) and the passenger side is (1,3,5,7).

The injectors are just over 2 years old. 1 day past the end of the warranty. I'm trying to get the Dealership to honor the Warranty as I didn't pick the truck up, after they were replaced until a month after they were replaced. We'll see what they say. If they honor the Warranty, I'll have them replace the 1 injector. If not, i'll probably replace it myself. Save myself ~$1500.00 after purchasing the injector and any other material I need. I might put an upgraded FICM in place since I will have it torn apart anyways...

Can anyone confirm the injector locations?

Thanks!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 PM

odd injectors are indeed on the passenger side

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM

Its unlikely that cold weather caused an injector to fail. And its equally unlikely that a single failed injector will make the truck as gutless as you have described. Its also unlikely that a failure which crippled the truck didn't set the CEL. I think your dealership is taking you for a ride. My money is on wax in the fuel which would only be cured by a couple of days in a warm shop. You may have had a failing injector for a long time which would set a soft code which the dealer could read but which you wouldn't know about because it didn't set the CEL. That level of failure would NOT cripple your truck.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Bob, thanks for the reply.

I kinda thought the same thing (that a single failed inector will make the truck as gutless...). The one thing the tech indicated was that the injector was aerating the fuel..., I took this to mean the fuel rail, which, at least in my mind, would have affected the whole bank of injectors.

So a question, I have a tuner and I thought the codes would be readable there. I'll ask about the points you have made and see what the response is.

Thank you for the information and thoughts!

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Well, it looks like Lynch Ford, in Mount Vernon IA, will not honor the warranty on the injectors due to the EGR delete and the Tuner that is installed...

I guess I won't be buying any further vehicles from that dealership.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:09 PM

Sorry to hear that, but probably most dealerships would take that stance unless you knew the people there.

An injector can cripple the truck though - just depends on how it fails. If it allows combustion gas to back pressure the fuel system it can cause a no start and even take out ALL injectors on that bank.

I do agree that fuel gelling is a strong possibility at those temps, but healthy doses of 911 can prevent it from being an issue (unless you also get water in the fuel).

Mark
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:24 PM

The injectors are @ $200 apiece.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

OK???

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
  • SCT Tuner
  • ARP Studs
  • Updated Oil Cooler
  • Garrett Powermax Turbo
  • BD Diesel Up-Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in