Sludge under oil cooler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By dillon134
  • 1 Post By dillon134

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sludge under oil cooler

I posted this yesterday on another diesel forum and got crickets so I'm trying it here...

I'm in the middle of replacing the oil cooler (with an OEM cooler) and the EGR cooler (putting in the BPD one) on my '04 F-250. The truck is all stock as far as I am aware, ~114k miles. The EGR cooler is blown for sure and I was going to replace the oil cooler while I'm in there. I just got down to removing the oil cooler and in the cavity it sits in there was sludge... thick and kind of in clumps in the oil. The oil sitting around the bottom of the oil filter housing is also thick and sludgy. Kind of a milkshake texture. Am I right in thinking this is most likely coolant leaking from the oil cooler in addition to the EGR cooler I knew was blown? Are there additional steps I should take besides cleaning this junk out from where I can see it? Any advice very welcome. I'd hate to leave any of this stuff in there if I can help it. I'm hoping that the oil cooler I'm already replacing is really the issue but if it's something else it would be best to fix it now if I can.

-Note: I flushed the cooling system out pretty thoroughly, I think, before starting work. Drained and filled and ran it for a while three times, then continuously draining with a hose in the degas bottle for 30 minutes or so, then filled and ran and drained once more with distilled water. Basically following a video from powerstrokehelp.com... No sign of sludge in the coolant as far as I could tell although the water at the end came out looking pretty rusty.

-I also drained the oil from the pan since the truck was due for an oil change anyway. That oil is sitting in a drain pan now and shows no signs of sludge.

-Background: I had taken the truck to a shop for a diagnostic because it was losing coolant, blowing white smoke, also intermittently chugging/coughing (the turbo bark I keep reading about I think?) and losing power when towing my trailer up a hill. The tech pulled the EGR valve and showed me that it was cleaned out by steam, meaning ruptured EGR cooler. Their suggestion was BPD EGR cooler, new oil cooler while in there, also service the turbo while it's out and some other assorted things. The labor was more than I could afford and I have lots of time on my hands at the moment so after watching some DieselTechRon videos I decided to tackle it myself. So I knew the EGR cooler was bad but had no indication of a bad oil cooler til now.

I had also had an issue with lack of response on the gas pedal for a few seconds at a time when cold, but it was so intermittent I never had it checked out, and hadn't experienced it in some thousands of miles. No other issues or repairs in about 20k miles.

Like I said, appreciate any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:00 PM

My Photos: (1)
Yes, oil coolers that get blocked will rot where the silicate coolant clumps form. Then the coolant gets into oil.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Right. Would that account for the black milkshake-looking stuff?

Oil cooler is getting replaced already, and oil will get changed. Is there anything else I ought to pull while I've got it torn down, in order to get this junk out as thoroughly as I can?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Is the removable screen below the oil cooler intact? If so, nothing likely made it's way to your HPOP system. I'm not as experienced as most of these guys on this forum but you have definitely come to the right place.

Like you, I watched tons of DieselTechRon videos many years ago and learned a lot. Did all the work you have described myself, to include replacing injectors, nipple cups, etc.

Not to change the direction of your thread but sadly, Ron was killed in an automobile accident a few years back. His videos live on however.

Best of luck and hope you see some responses from BISMIC, TKO, FORD DOC, or the many other 6.0 SME's.
straight_up likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Okay, that helps! I'll see whether the screen is intact and post again.

I'm hoping I don't have to replace any injectors! But I suppose it would be a lot better to do with the engine still torn down than reassemble everything first, let alone stalling on the highway or something.

Yes I was sad to hear about Ron's death when I found his videos. He seems like a really good man. So generous about taking the time to share his knowledge in those videos.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Okay, the screen under the cooler is intact! I went ahead and popped the new one from my oil cooler kit in there.

So I'm going to assume I should be in good shape once I clean up the oil cooler area and the oil filter base?

I'm going to get the new oil cooler into its housing, and proceed with reassembly, unless somebody else chimes in and suggests otherwise. Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I found these pieces in the cavity under the oil cooler. Next to the old screen for scale. Any idea what they are?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190719_141826585.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	899.8 KB
ID:	127498  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 PM

Not sure. If the screen is intact then it didn't get beyond that. Had to come from OC somewhere/somehow. Kind of looks like pieces of a c-clip.
straight_up likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 PM

Are those pieces metal or plastic?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Plastic
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:43 AM

I would pull the IPR and check the inlet screen. Probably a good time to change the screen as well, in any case it should be checked. Pull of the oil filter housing and look around in there too, the plastic piece may have come from there, Not part of anything I know of in there, but see if there any more things in there.

2003 (03.25MY) F-250 6.0, XLT long bed 2WD, auto. 147K, owned since new. work done; cooling system flush and fill with ELC-1, coolant filter, oem oil cooler, BP EGR cooler, turbo rebuild with powermax GT40 compressor, Dieselsite CACC boots (hot side), cat delete, blue spring kit, Edge monitor (no tuner), transmisson filter up grade to 08 style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in