Smoke Testing for Turbo Tube Leaks? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke Testing for Turbo Tube Leaks?

Does anyone have thoughts about, and / or, experience with Smoke Testing the Inlet Pipes of a 6.0L turbo diesel?

Would doing this show leaks in the pipes or gaskets?

Is it possible to do?

Would you do it with the engine off or running?

I am running down a poor fuel mileage problem that the Dealer created but cannot fix.

Thanks!

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemeter View Post
Does anyone have thoughts about, and / or, experience with Smoke Testing the Inlet Pipes of a 6.0L turbo diesel?

Would doing this show leaks in the pipes or gaskets?

Is it possible to do?

Would you do it with the engine off or running?

I am running down a poor fuel mileage problem that the Dealer created but cannot fix.

Thanks!

Just curious...what work did the Dealer perform? Could be as simple as not plugging a sensor back in.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Dealer has been fooling with this problem since June 2016.
The truck has a FORD Factory remanufactured 6.0L with about 22K miles, but as you will see below, I have been chasing this problem for some time.
Their final effort included replacing the EGR valve.
They had the engine apart at least three (3) times.
The Dealership ran this around so much that they eventually gave me back the $1,250.00 that I spent to fix the problem that they created but could not fix.

In June 2016, i wrote the following:
Here is the short - long story.
In June 2016, I had about 11K miles on a Ford remanufactured engine after the original 6.0L engine in my 2004, F250 BLEW UP (catastrophic failure) on I-78 while I was on the way to Hershey last October (144,720-miles).

The $17K replacement was as I indicated a Ford remanufactured engine - long block (entire engine minus hang-on components).
Things went along relatively well until a few weeks ago when i was pulling out of an up hill side street and there was a POP and black smoke blew out of the exhaust.

Note that I had previously been curious about what appeared to be oil (unburnt diesel fuel?) on the outside of the exhaust pipe (may be unrelated).

I drove to the dealer and told them about the incident, but the truck seemed to run fine after the incident and I delayed an evaluation.

I later needed brake lines so I had them evaluate the previously reported problem which is when they installed the following parts: 4C3Z-9J460-A, and 5C3Z-12224-A.

Before the installation of the parts above, my fuel mileage was between 16.9 & 17.9 mpg, city driving.

After they installed the new parts the MPG dropped to between 14.0 to 14.5 (summer & fall driving).

I have run many tanks of fuel through the engine and added Lucas and Motocraft injector cleaner, in the hope that it would do something, but to no avail.

As of today, 1/3/17, my MPG is about the same, but dips to 13.5 MPG when just driving around town.

There is no oily residue on the exhaust, and it does not smoke.

In addition, a recent review by a guy who has a number of 6.0L trucks for his business believes that he hears a pressure / air leak "somewhere" but cannot isolate it. He thinks the Boost is inadequate, but of course, the dealer finds no codes, etc.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:23 AM

Maybe somewhat related, maybe not, but when my '04 6.0 started showing exhaust smoke under the hood on cold fire-ups, and other issues (Boost related), I decided to chase it down to see what it was... I read a thread here about a guy who hooked up a shop vac to the exhaust tailpipe, taped it off with a plastic bag to seal it, turned it on an listened for air leaks... With the engine off, it worked very well, and I found the initial leak in the passenger side down-pipe bellows (cracked) and replaced it with a pipe from IPR... Unfortunately, that repair didn't completely solve my issues, and so I set up the shop vac again only to find a blown Intercooler gasket/intercooler meltdown... Again, the shop vac on a non-running engine was invaluable in locating that issue, as when the engine is running, it's too loud for you to hear the air leaks... I replaced the Intercooler and CAC Tubes/Boots and most of the issues were resolved...

'04 F250 KR - '14 F350 Lariat -

Last edited by stevedunham-2; 01-03-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:59 AM

smoke testing

I have been using the shop vac trick on exhaust system for years. It works great and you don't burn yourself. For small leaks spray on some kids bubble soap or shampoo and water. Dish soap don't make enough bubbles.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Harry: Are you using the exhaust side of the vacuum?

Ninemeter: Did the dealer reflash your computer while it was in the shop?

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM

ninemeter- that sounds like a blown CAC Tube or Intercooler...possibly stuck turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:09 PM

yes, the pressure side
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Remember, low pressure blows big bubbles, high pressure blows little ones. it works on the in side as well as the exhaust side. Also make sure your intercooler clamps are doing their job. Y.ou can have a large leak that you'll never hear with the engine running. i also have regulator that i use to presurise engines and transmissions with 5 to 10 psi. Those seal, and gasket leaks jump right out where you can see them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for this GREAt info.
I already have a guy who suggested that I have pressure tube leaks, but he could not find them / hear them because of the diesel rumble.
The Shop Vac idea is Outstanding!
I will check out your method as soon as the temperature breaks above 45-degrees.

Peter
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM

When I decided to try this to isolate my leak(s), it actually took longer to hook up the Shop Vac than to locate the leak(s)... It works very well, and is quick to help you pinpoint the problem... The subsequent repairs, well, that's another story altogether...

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So what did you need to do after you found the leaks?

Peter
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemeter View Post
So what did you need to do after you found the leaks?

If you are asking me, I initially had to replace the Pass Side Up-pipe as it was cracked at the bellows... I used an IPR pipe for the fix, but getting to the pipe to remove and installing the new one was a major PITA... It is located in an extremely tight area and you have to contort yourself and reach blindly up the back of the engine to get at it to loosen/tighten the nuts/bolts... After that was fixed and I still had a leak, I found the stock Intercooler was blown (Orange gasket sticking out on the Hot Side) and so had to replace the Intercooler and CAC Tubes/Boots with Mishimoto parts... That wasn't too bad of a job, but time consuming to some extent as I had to remove an LED Light bar, grill, etc. to get at the Intercooler... I then had a CAC Tube blow off at the Intake Elbow while Towing over a Mountain pass so had to double clamp the Mishimoto CAC tube there...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in