Stuttering Under Load - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:11 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1835985C92 is a Navistar part number, so it should be good.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

CMP Sensor - No Change

Put a new Motorcraft Cam Position Sensor in yesterday.
This morning I drove the truck and there was no change in performance. Still Bucking when lugging the motor.
Pulled codes with KOEO and same as before (EGR stuff on the EGR Deleted engine).
Checked the CMP/CKP Sync while at idle and same out of sync condition on the graph.

Pulled the ICP connector and drove the truck. No Change in performance, but got the ICP Circuit low code afterwards.

Just out of curiosity, and after searching the forum for other similar issues, I selected the EBP on my Scangage and watched it while driving. While under hard acceleration it jumps to 41 psi. Also can't tell for sure, but looks like puffs of black smoke (but I can't be sure with 30mph winds). Going to get my wife to drive behind me and watch the truck while it's bucking and I'll monitor EBP with AE. Edit- She drove behind me and no black smoke that was discernable.

BUT: After I got back, I was poking around on the AE menus and found the KOEO injector buzz test. Well I had seen the one DieseltechRon had ran and I didn't think I had that one! But I do, so I ran it and found Injector #7 not responding! So I assume that's my problem so I'm thinking about ordering 5 new injectors to replace the ones I hadn't replaced when I put heads on.... What are your thoughts on this?

And I'm still wondering about the CMP/CPM Sync. Is that a Red Herring or what?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 F-250 FX4 Lariat SWB SRW 6.0L Torqshift, Late Engine Build 11/21/04, Dual Alternators,
Extended Cab, Med Wedgewood Blue, Tan Leather Interior, Autopage RS Alarm, Blue Spring, Dieselsite Coolant filter, ARP Studs, Ford Reman Heads (added Exhaust Valve Seats), Updated HPOP, MBRP HD Y-Pipe, RCD EGR Delete, Updated Turbo Oil Tubes, Bullet Proof Water Pump, FICMRepair with Econo-tune (wish I'd gotten Atlas 40), Rifraff CACs, Mag HiTec Differential Cover,. Working out BP Perf CCV Kit Install..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still makes me grin "almost" every time I get near it!

Last edited by TurboThrill; 10-20-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Unhook the connector from the back pressure sensor and roadtest. I seen them shorted and cause driveability issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Unplugging the EBP sensor is always a good (free) thing to try on intermittent driveability issues.

I do think that you are on to something w/ injectors #7.

That said. I have not ever seen the intermittent sync.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDARACER View Post
Unhook the connector from the back pressure sensor and roadtest. I seen them shorted and cause driveability issue.
Thanks for your ideas HonaRacer.

I tried it and it didn't help.....

Time to start pulling injectors

2004 F-250 FX4 Lariat SWB SRW 6.0L Torqshift, Late Engine Build 11/21/04, Dual Alternators,
Extended Cab, Med Wedgewood Blue, Tan Leather Interior, Autopage RS Alarm, Blue Spring, Dieselsite Coolant filter, ARP Studs, Ford Reman Heads (added Exhaust Valve Seats), Updated HPOP, MBRP HD Y-Pipe, RCD EGR Delete, Updated Turbo Oil Tubes, Bullet Proof Water Pump, FICMRepair with Econo-tune (wish I'd gotten Atlas 40), Rifraff CACs, Mag HiTec Differential Cover,. Working out BP Perf CCV Kit Install..

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Finally feeling like this is the right direction!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Unplugging the EBP sensor is always a good (free) thing to try on intermittent driveability issues.

I do think that you are on to something w/ injectors #7.

That said. I have not ever seen the intermittent sync.
Thanks Mark,

I'm sorry I didn't see the Injector Buzz test before. My "Blind Dog Looking for a Bone" routine with Autoenginuity is just sad. Seems like I just wander around in that tool with no purpose pushing buttons and running tests. My frustration with it back early on in this thread was expressed when I didn't think there was any way for it to diagnose injector issues. It appears it still doesn't do anything except run the spool valves and check for power balance (at idle). Oh well, it's better than nothing and if it weren't for you guys that know the motor inside and out, I'd really be lost figuring out what to look at.

Pulling #7 injector today and hopefully I can determine which ones were the new ones I put in last time (seems like there were some slight wire or connector body differences). It turns out I only replaced 3 of them when I put heads on so I ordered 5 injectors from Autonation White Bear Lake this morning. Might as well get it done once and wish I had replaced them all earlier.

Sure hope #7 isn't one of the new ones I put in!

BTW, there are some threads on CMP/CKP sync loss and one where you said there is an obscure failure where a shorted coil on an injector can cause it. There are others where the tone ring on the crank have broken loose, but that obviously shows up as a CKP sensor, and others where the harness going through the area where the fuel lines are is "suspect".

Oh well, better get to work wrenching!

post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:49 AM

Garage
Before replacing #7 , do the buzz test with plugged new #7 (uninstalled).
Heres my video. In this case, #5 was the problem

post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hartwig!! Edit - Too late for that because I've already taken everything off and disconnected the harnesses getting ready to pull the rocker covers tomorrow and pull the oil rail to get the 5 new injectors installed. I won't get the new injectors until tomorrow (NLT 8:00pm). Great Idea though if I had a new injector to test the circuit with while the truck was together. Turns out that the 3 new injectors I put in when I did the heads awhile back have blue seals on the connectors and all of my old injectors have orange seals. That bad #7 is an orange seal (old) injector. Well with 225K on them, I hear that's probably pretty good.

Last edited by TurboThrill; 10-23-2019 at 12:00 AM.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:10 AM

Make sure when installing the Injectors to use an air gun to blow out all the oil from the injector hold down bolt holes. If not, you will not be able to get a proper torque on them due to the oil in the bottom of the holes. Trust me, I know this from first hand experience, unfortunately.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:42 AM

I have seen the injector harness go bad. A broken wire near the injector plug. Wiggling the harness revealed the problem.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
Make sure when installing the Injectors to use an air gun to blow out all the oil from the injector hold down bolt holes. If not, you will not be able to get a proper torque on them due to the oil in the bottom of the holes. Trust me, I know this from first hand experience, unfortunately.
Thanks Dillon,

Unfortunately, I forgot to do this on the passenger side that I just finished last night. I remembered on the last injector (1 of 3) that I installed, but checked the hole for oil and it was dry! Crossing my fingers....

Will be sure to blow out holes on the Driver Side that I'm working on today.

Thanks for your Help!!!

Last edited by TurboThrill; 10-24-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDARACER View Post
I have seen the injector harness go bad. A broken wire near the injector plug. Wiggling the harness revealed the problem.
I'll just have to check after I finish installing the 5 new injectors. I'm fairly sure the injector was bad and the cable looks great waaaay back on #7....

Thanks for your help!

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Uh Oh, just pulled out the Stand Pipe on the Drivers Side today. Found the nylon ring under the O-Ring squished so hard that it fractured and one end rode over the top of the other end (looks like one continental plate riding over the top of another). I assume you can't repair that, and besides I've run out of time to get this thing finished!! I called the "Stealership" and they want $88 for a new one!!!! Our favorite Ford parts supplier sells them all day long for $47 but I can't wait 3 days for it to show up!

Does anyone know if I can put a new nylon washer on the new-style standpipe?

Also, Can I buy the latest version Standpipe from NAPA under some International part number? If so, what's the part number?

Thanks!

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboThrill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
Thanks Dillon,

Unfortunately, I forgot to do this on the passenger side that I just finished last night. I remembered on the last injector (1 of 3) that I installed, but checked the hole for oil and it was dry! Crossing my fingers....

Will be sure to blow out holes on the Driver Side that I'm working on today.

Thanks for your Help!!!
Happy to help bro. One last thing, and another mistake I made that I've learned from, make sure to be careful with the compressed air when blowing out the holes. When I did it the first time, I was a little careless with the air gun and blew a bunch of crap that had collected nearby, into the area where the injectors are located. It may make sense to use an old lint free towel to cover up the head and then make an opening large enough to blow the air into the specific holes. Kind of like how a surgeon puts a sheet over a patient and then has a small opening where he/she conducts the operation.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboThrill View Post
Uh Oh, just pulled out the Stand Pipe on the Drivers Side today. Found the nylon ring under the O-Ring squished so hard that it fractured and one end rode over the top of the other end (looks like one continental plate riding over the top of another). I assume you can't repair that, and besides I've run out of time to get this thing finished!! I called the "Stealership" and they want $88 for a new one!!!! Our favorite Ford parts supplier sells them all day long for $47 but I can't wait 3 days for it to show up!

Does anyone know if I can put a new nylon washer on the new-style standpipe?

Also, Can I buy the latest version Standpipe from NAPA under some International part number? If so, what's the part number?

Thanks!
I thought that those rings were actually designed with a split in them, kind of like a lock washer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in