Truck pulls a p0470 code - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mcrafty1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck pulls a p0470 code

Also this is a 2006 6.0 The truck started acting up yesterday after I pressure washed under the hood. The truck has no power it goes up to 25 pounds of boost at low speeds and then you hear the waste gate when you let off. The truck has been searching but not missing in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also this truck is a 2006 6.0

Last edited by bigrick56; 02-20-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

183 people looked in no help yet please help me. Anyone got any ideas at all
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:42 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrick56 View Post
Also this is a 2006 6.0 The truck started acting up yesterday after I pressure washed under the hood. The truck has no power it goes up to 25 pounds of boost at low speeds and then you hear the waste gate when you let off. The truck has been searching but not missing in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also this truck is a 2006 6.0

The code is for the exhaust pressure sensor - a high failure rate item over the years including the harness pigtail. Since you pressure washed your engine I suspect you simply got water into the sensor connection. I commonly find the harness connector is missing the rubber weather seal which if missing would allow water to easily enter the connection in this scenario. I recommend checking that first.

The turbo flutter noise is a symptom of the sensor issue as turbocharger operation is highly dependent on the EP sensor data. The turbo is actually over boosting which makes the PCM defuel and even open the EGR valve to limit boost. This would explain the lack of power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll check that out right now
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
The code is for the exhaust pressure sensor - a high failure rate item over the years including the harness pigtail. Since you pressure washed your engine I suspect you simply got water into the sensor connection. I commonly find the harness connector is missing the rubber weather seal which if missing would allow water to easily enter the connection in this scenario. I recommend checking that first.

The turbo flutter noise is a symptom of the sensor issue as turbocharger operation is highly dependent on the EP sensor data. The turbo is actually over boosting which makes the PCM defuel and even open the EGR valve to limit boost. This would explain the lack of power.
Hi pull the wiring harness of the sensor and it was wet it was a blue corrosion like that comes on a battery terminal. I cleaned it up and drive it off and haven't tested it yet but I might go take the time to get a new sensor wiring harness and clean the tube out. So thank you very much for your information
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrick56 View Post
Hi pull the wiring harness of the sensor and it was wet it was a blue corrosion like that comes on a battery terminal. I cleaned it up and drive it off and haven't tested it yet but I might go take the time to get a new sensor wiring harness and clean the tube out. So thank you very much for your information
Well I want to thank you again you were spot on with your information you been a big help
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Garage
My pleasure to have been of assistance and I am glad that the cause was not to deep or difficult to diagnose. Just pay close attention to the wiring on the new wire connector when you replace it. It is easy to mix them up.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
My pleasure to have been of assistance and I am glad that the cause was not to deep or difficult to diagnose. Just pay close attention to the wiring on the new wire connector when you replace it. It is easy to mix them up.
Thank you very much I'll make sure I pay attention
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:05 AM

...and save the pressure washing for the OUTSIDE of the vehicle, there is too much relying on the electrical system under the hood of these trucks to be using high pressure water on, a mild degreaser and a water hose will do a safer cleanup under the hood if you feel it needs that. There are others that may disagree but that's my 2cts.
ford_doctor likes this.

Allan 2007 F350 CCSB lariat, 135,500 mi. Stock 6.0, <7* deltas, 4in. Diamond Eye turbo back, Sinister Water Filter, ScangaugeII, Wolverine Oil Pan Heater and HFCM Drain Plug Upgrade, Blue Spring installed, 200*Mishimoto thermostat installed.. coolant change completed. 2007 F250 5.4L 3V SCLB XL 86,500 miles, Redhead steering box installed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Garage
I agree with Mcrafty on the abstaining from pressure washing under the hood. it's a bit too aggressive although in this instance it turned to be a happy accident. Your wiring problem would have eventually shown itself. I frequently clean up after repairs under the hood with Simple Green and a garden hose with a spray nozzle. Works just fine.

Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in